Captain Cook tour to the next US national?

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Captain Cook tour to the next US national?

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 16 Nov 2004 4:06 pm

It was suggested at a trial on Sunday by a fellow competitior that we should organise a trip to next year's US open national including the week of prenational training. We could also fit in an AKC hunt test as well.

The 2005 US Open national championship is being held in South Carolina.

Is anyone else interested? The flights normally are very economical for travel before early December (before the high season). We could hire a van to ferry us around. Night party animals welcomed.
Julie Cramond

Postby John Lawton » Thu 18 Nov 2004 9:34 pm

Sounds a great idea, money away each month, it may be a great experance.
John Lawton

Postby Diane McCann » Fri 19 Nov 2004 10:30 am

It does sound great Julie. Can you give any rough estimate of cost?

Diane
Diane McCann

Captain Cook trip

Postby G Bridges » Mon 22 Nov 2004 8:59 am

Hi Julie,
the possibility of an organized trip to watch the American Nationals and pre-national training sounds very interesting, please keep us informed of developments. Any rough ideas about cost?
Garrick
G Bridges

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 23 Nov 2004 9:53 am

I think it is great that there has been so much interest in the trip.

I have made contact with the main organisers of next years US national, and they are passing on the relevant information on accommodation and such, in a couple of days.

Rob Tawton attended the US national when it was held in Cheraw last, so he may have general information on the town. The weather apparently was cool evenings and warm days.

I am currently finding the cheapest flight costs, one that does not entail too many extra flying hours, which some of the more economical flights are apt to do.
Julie Cramond

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 24 Nov 2004 2:51 pm

Sounds like a great idea. Anyone interested in a dog/baby sitting job for a couple of weeks?

Siobhan might want to come on this one as well :roll:

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby John Lawton » Wed 24 Nov 2004 10:03 pm

WHAT A ONCE IN A LIFETIME EXPERIANCE.
DID A ROUGH BUDGET COSTINGS FROM OUR LOCAL TRAVEL AGENT,
FLY TO L.A. THEN TO STH CAROLINA, 10 NIGHTS ACOMINDATION, PLUS 10 DAYS CAR HIRE IS APROX $3600.00 PP.

NOT A BAD PRICE, MAYBE A DAY TRIP TO CABELA'S MAY BE FITTED IN AS WELL.

JULIE HAS MADE CONTACT WITH OUR FRIENDS IN AMERICA WHO MAY BE ABLE TO ORGANISE BETTER RATES, BIT EARLY FOR FIRM PRICES AT THE MOMENT.

TO GET GROUP BOOKINGS MUST BE OVER TEN PEOPLE.

HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS FANTASTIC VENTURE?
John Lawton

Captain Cook Tour

Postby Garrick Bridges » Thu 25 Nov 2004 7:56 am

John,
I am certainly interested. What are the proposed dates? I would need to know the dates as soon as possible because of work committments.
Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Captain Cook trip

Postby Garrick Bridges » Thu 25 Nov 2004 7:59 am

Whereabouts in America will the Nationals be held next year?
Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Postby Julie Cramond » Thu 25 Nov 2004 11:48 am

Hi,

Looks as though interest is starting to snow ball. Great.

Next years US open national will be in Cheraw, South Carolina.

The national is from 13th November to 19th November. Pre national training is the week prior. It is normal that the National Committee have a headquarters where many of the owners/handlers and trainers stay. They are happy to book extra rooms for us (discounted rates).

There is also a AKC hunt test sceduled the following weekend at Zebula, Georgia (which is 4 hours away from Cheraw).

We are been invited to attend prenational training with many various groups. If the trip extends to the weekend of the AKC hunt tests, a couple of trainers have also offered to show us their daily training in the spare week. Charleston is also a great tourist town if we wanted to do a little sight seeing. We could go to Florida too????? Disneyworld or whatever it is called, LOL. Anybody else got any other ideas. I did think about the UK national too in November on the way home!!!!!
Julie Cramond

Postby Graham Eames » Mon 29 Nov 2004 12:52 pm

Oooohh!
The duck and goose seasons are on then. :D :D
South Carolina (marsh hunting) 8) is a very good place to start and not far to go onto Louissianna (bayou hunting) :) then Mississippi (big river hunting) and then onto Arkansas (flooded green timber nad bean fields) :D for the World Duck Calling Championship.
Finish that and then head into Texas for some Snow Goose hunting then home for Christmas. :o
I had better start saving pennies now.
Julie, you will have to keep us all up to date with this one.
Graham
Graham Eames

Return to General