New Member and Question!

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

New Member and Question!

Postby Vickie Lamb » Tue 29 Mar 2005 3:46 am

Hello --

I am new to this forum and from the USA. I have Labs, a Golden and a Chessie, and a few coonhounds.

Hope I can ask a few questions right away!

What breeds can compete in the Australian National Retriever Championship?

And is that what the Championship is called?

Thanks!!
-- Vickie Lamb

Live like there's no tomorrow.
Keep that glass half full, not half empty
Vickie Lamb

Postby Graeme Parkinson » Tue 29 Mar 2005 9:43 pm

Vickie

Welcome

Our retrieving championship is called the "National Retrieving Trial Championship".

All registered pure bred gundogs as recognised by the member bodies may compete in retrieving trials, once such a dog is qualified it may compete at the national.

Graeme Parkinson
GraemeP
Graeme Parkinson

Postby Vickie Lamb » Tue 29 Mar 2005 11:05 pm

Thank you very much!

How do dogs get qualified?
-- Vickie Lamb

Live like there's no tomorrow.
Keep that glass half full, not half empty
Vickie Lamb

New Memebr and Question.

Postby Robert Tawton » Wed 30 Mar 2005 2:33 pm

Hi Vicki,

Welcome to the ARWC website. If you care to have a look in the Articles/Archives Section you will find an article entitled, Retrieving Trials in Australia – An Explanation by Robert Tawton, which I wrote some time ago in response to similar questions to yours. Over the past 30 years or so I have seen the following breeds compete in our Retrieving Trials; Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, Flat Coat Retrievers, German Shorthaired Pointers, German Long Haired Pointers, Vizlas, Duck Tollers, Weimaraners, a Red Setter, (English) Pointers, Springer Spaniels, Cocker Spaniels and Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. In terms of numbers competing, Labradors, Golden Retrievers and GSP’s would be the leaders in the popularity stakes.
We have conducted 35 National Championships and if you take into account dogs finishing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place you have a sample of 105 animals. Of this sample, 6 have been German Shorthaired Pointers, 2 have been Golden Retrievers and the rest have been Labrador Retrievers.
Kindest regards, RWT
Robert Tawton

Return to General