THREE DOGS !! WHAT A HANDFUL.

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 06 Apr 2005 8:01 am

Kerry,

Me? a "dig". I thought you new me better than that. As if I, of all people, would stir the pot. :wink: Not that there is anything wrong with thinking all handlers that have retired from work should also retire from competition. Or should we just let them continue on because sometimes they can be competitive and they still see trials as good fun.

Gareth

PS how about a mandatory retirement age of 65 for handlers and 12 for dogs :?:
Gareth Tawton

Postby Prue Winkfield » Fri 08 Apr 2005 12:16 pm

Went training with jack this morning and he had heard all about this discussion! He will have a look when he has a moment but thinks Charlie Ball and Jack Thompson and there are probably others. Not so sure about the age limit for geriatrics - that would take me and Jack out as well as Bob (I think) :shock:
Prue Winkfield

Postby Kerry Webster » Fri 08 Apr 2005 8:50 pm

Gareth,

Yeh, Right !!!

Why do I feel your thinking is linked to your Dad ?????? Retired ......etc.etc.

But, the same thinking surely applies to dogs too. They may be older but not past competing, and enjoying the experience, so, why not.

No comment on the mandatory retirement age; It's ok for you to say this in your mid 30's, just wait another 20 years and you won't feel that old.

Will be interesting to hear from Jack as to previous 3 dog handler/owners in the game. Certainly don't know of any over here, and even now, I am the only A/A competitor in W.A. competing with more than one dog this year.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Three dogs - a Hand Full

Postby Robert Tawton » Fri 08 Apr 2005 9:56 pm

Hi All,
I have been watching this topic develop and would like to offer the following comments/observations.

1. It certainly was a great buzz to have only three dogs left in competition in a State Championship and to be handling all three. Given that I had previously handled Badja into 2nd Place in a SA State Championship (ahead of my own dogs and this placing gave Badja his RT Title) do you really believe I would willingly give up the opportunity to fill 1st, 2nd and 3rd Places – I think not - VBG !!!

2. Teresa – the knee has recovered and I will be back on the bike come Monday – many thanks for your concern!

3. Gareth has expressed his views on running multiple dogs and remaining competitive. Consider this;
Charlie Ball purchased his first Labrador from Les Bright, a well known Victorian Trialler.
Brirose Kathleen (Katie – BLF) was about 3 years old when Charlie was introduced to Retrieving Trials. Subsequently Charlie bred from Katie and he kept a yellow male- FT and RT Ch Tesrose Chasa – after whom my yellow dog was named. Still later Charlie bred a second litter from Katie and this time kept a yellow bitch – FT and RT Ch Tesrose Karla. In 1971 Charlie contested the SA, Victorian and NSW State Championships finishing in 1st and 2nd Places in all three events and his three dogs finished in the top five places in all three events. Now that is what I call being competitive with three dogs!!!

4. Kerry – Jack Thompson was the original importer of GSP’s into Australia and was the foundation President and a Life Member of the GSP Club of Victoria. Jack is also a member of the Field and Retrieving Hall of Fame. To the best of my knowledge Jack imported something like19 GSP’s and in conjunction with Ian Waldron was responsible for importing the first four Brittany Spaniels into Australia. One of the many things that sets Jack a part was his ability to title his imports. As best I can recall, Jack often had as many as six dogs entered on any one day though not necessarily all in the All Age Stake. FT & RT Ch Irus Von Der Saarner Mark was Jack’s last GSP import and he sired a litter from which Jack kept four animals – I can remember the names of only two – RT Ch Dunfui Kaiser and FT (?) & RT Ch Dunfrui Jindi. Jack certainly competed in All Age with Irus, Kaiser and Jindi and may even have run as many as five dogs in the same event.

Westie Morris was another competitor that ran multiple dogs (GSP’s) and he had a string that rivalled Jack Thompson’s. Westie won a National and was Runner Up in a National with Linstan Kathi and Linstan Chris (both from the same litter). If I recall correctly Glenice McClure is another person who has run three dogs in All Age – Gun, Solo and Mitch.

Kindest regards, RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Prue Winkfield » Sat 09 Apr 2005 11:35 am

Just another thought - I only knew Jack Thompson towards the end of his career but do believe that at the height of his activities he ran his dogs on an almost professional basis - not that he was paid but he did have at least one person training his dogs with him on a paid basis or reward in kind - someone might know more of this. That would certainly make it easier to run multiple dogs than trying to do it all yourself with mates for assistance. Jack had a large kennel that would have been almost impossible to manage on your own as well as run a business as he did.
Prue Winkfield

Postby Kerry Webster » Mon 11 Apr 2005 4:48 pm

Thanks for that info Rob. Are these people still alive ? And, wouldn't it be great to see more Brittanys competing, and even the GSP's are a bit low in numbers over here.

Glenice McClure certainly had Gun and Solo competing in All Age at the same time. Mitch was Mike McClure's dog and he handled him.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Three Dogs a Handful!!

Postby Robert Tawton » Tue 12 Apr 2005 9:44 am

Hello Everyone

Yesterday I spent time with my Nana and she told me how much fun a lot of you were having in predicting and/or influencing what breed of dog I should have when I get bigger! :wink: . Nana went on to tell me just how important traditions were and suggested that I could follow family tradition by having a German Shorthair Pointer as my first dog!!!!! Maybe, in the next few years I will read up on a breed or two and make up my own mind. :lol: What if I started with a Duck Toller or given other influences in my own pedigree, I could even contemplate an Irish Water Spaniel? (I wonder if daddy will see pigs flying past again!!!!). I just hope I can enjoy this sport and get as much pleasure, satisfaction and friendship in the future as you guys are getting now.

Riley
Robert Tawton

Postby Kerry Webster » Tue 12 Apr 2005 9:59 pm

Well, I stand corrected on an earlier post !

Glenice McClure has emailed me to say that she did actually run Gun, Solo and Mitch, one season when Mike was unavailable. So, apologies, Glen.

She also informs me that Peg Malcolm ran her dogs, Scamp, Ayla and Monty in All Age before giving Monty to Richard & Anna Courtman.

So, that's two more occasions when one owner/handler has run multiple dogs in a season. That's five people that we have been informed about, who are the others I wonder ?

This is retrieving history here, something which is pretty much lacking in our sport. Unless you know the "old" triallers personally, you don't know; don't hear about it.

It is not sheep stations, just plain interesting details of our chosen sport.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Previous

Return to General