Young Trialers under 20yrs

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Young Trialers under 20yrs

Postby Bob Pickworth » Fri 15 Apr 2005 8:35 am

My Young bloke (Andrew) is wanting to begin trialling this year in Novice (with me as shooter). He is turning 13 in 2005. He has been throwing and stewarding for the past few years, so knows the ropes. I contacted the AKC/RNSWCC (in writing) to get approval knowing that he can't handle a gun- apparently there is no age restriction for NSRT, provided the handler is a member, thus over 12 yrs. This led me to thinking, who can remember the youngest member to compete at Non-Slips'?
I remember when Gareth T was competing as a young bloke about the same age, but can't remember anyone under 20 in th past 15 years. I have, however had several "breaks" over that time and not been on the scene continuously.

(I am hoping that triallers will be patient with Andrew and be mindful that to grow the sport we need to encourage membership at all ages).
Bob Pickworth

Postby Prue Winkfield » Fri 15 Apr 2005 9:27 am

A young girl here Cerys Meyr competed in Biginners when she was 11 - she is now 12 but has given up unforunately - she wants her parents to buy her a Golden Retriever! Believe Simone McCann was about the same ange when she started - she is probably about 15 now and his won a Novice recently - her Mum can be more specific.
Prue Winkfield

Postby Gareth Tawton » Sat 23 Apr 2005 12:10 pm

HI guys

Gareth was 12 years old when he handled his first dog at a state champ. All he got from the other handlers was encouragement and loads of advice and something to do with needing to have a deeper voice!!! I'm sure that the handlers of to-day would give Andrew the same encouragement. Without new blood like Andrew we wont have a sport for me to enjoy when I get old and cranky like some of the handlers/gallery of to-day!!

Andrew has worked hard at the few trials his been to, and maybe one day he will be the No2 handler in the counrty competing against the No1 handler 'Riley T'. and the best female handler 'Jess' ! :D

have a lovely day

Siobhan(I'm not a Bias Mum!!)
Gareth Tawton

Postby Diane McCann » Sun 24 Apr 2005 4:01 pm

I asked Simone how old she was when she first handled (she ran a GSP for me in beginners) but she can't remember either, we think it was 11 as she was too young to get her shooters license at the time. She then ran her Brittany and won a beginners before moving onto her own shorthair, Lina. Lina has won two novices and is being trained for restricted.

Simone is now 16 1/2 and her enthusiasm has not wavered. This is due, to a large degree, to the endless encouragement that she has received from all judges, handlers and spectators since she began.

Bob Tawton provided her with a lanyard at Shepparton as an encouragement award when she was about 12 and her whistle is still hanging from it now. Peter Doley and Byron Kendal have also been wonderful with their help and encouragement - however there have been so many to do the same.

Good luck Andrew, it's a great sport.

Diane
Diane McCann

Return to General