Where do i start?

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Where do i start?

Postby Daryl » Tue 09 Sep 2003 2:26 pm

Hi All

I have 2 Labs, Flip (18mths old Black Bitch) and Obi (6mths old Black Bitch) and am interested in retrieving and/or field trials. Just one problem, where do I start?

I am a member of the VCA and have a shooters license, what next?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Daryl
Daryl

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 09 Sep 2003 5:10 pm

Hi Daryl,

Firstly - Welcome! :D

I'm located in NSW so my ability to assist you is limited by geography. We have number of Victorian triallers who visit this site - one of whom, I'm sure, will be able to give you some local info.

Hang in there - its a fantastic sport! :D

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Prue Winkfield » Wed 10 Sep 2003 11:49 am

Hello Daryl - if you like give me a ring and I might be able to head you in the right direction 53687264. As you will have seen from this forum we are really keen to get more 'players' into the game! Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Jason Ferris » Wed 10 Sep 2003 1:29 pm

Hi Daryl

Welcome to trialing. I would suggest a few things to get started:

- Join a club: the Central Highlands Working Gundog Club in Vic is very active and has an excellent and informative newsletter which will give you details of trials and other events, like training days. Noel and Kate Eltringham will be able to give you info on joining. Their details are on the email directory on http://www.australianworkingretrievercentral.org.au

- go along to trials and introduce yourself to people and watch how the whole thing works. There are a few trials left in Vic this year, and then there are championships (18-19 Oct in Vic). The CHWGC Easter trial is huge and has plenty of action from many of the best dogs in the country.

- check out the excellent training resources on the web, some of which have been listed in earlier posts to this forum.

- consider buying some videos and books. I found Tom Quinn's Working Retrievers to be a good book. Also the Water Dog video is excellent.

I look forward to meeting you at a trial sometime soon.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Guest » Mon 22 Sep 2003 1:07 pm

Hi Daryl,

Welcome to the world of trailing gundogs! But be warned, it's highly addictive...

Ditto everything you've been told so far. We live near Kerang but would be more than happy to help out in any way possible if you'd like to contact us via email - terraway@cybanet.net.au - or by phone 5453 2483. We get down to Melbourne fairly regularly.

Just out of interest, perhaps you could give us some background on yourself and your dogs eg. whether you're a keen hunter, how you even got to know about this 'game' etc. etc.

Glad to have you on board,

Teresap

Postby Daryl » Wed 08 Oct 2003 1:40 pm

I'm 30 years old, a professional photographer living in melbourne. As a youngster I was a shooter (VFGA) and had a lab. Over the last 10 years I have neither owned a dog or been shooting. I don't know which came first but last year I started shooting again (FGA Sporting Clays) and got a new Lab pup, Flip. Well over the last 18 months we have done a bit of shooting and a bit of obedience training (grade 3) and want to start doing some retrieving.

I intend on doing some hunting again but we will see what happens.

Thanks for the help and I will be in-touch soon.

Daryl

ps Here a a few snaps of my pups

Daryl

pics

Postby Kirsty Blair » Wed 08 Oct 2003 3:51 pm

Hi Daryl,

What great pictures! Good luck with your training! :D

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Posting photos

Postby Jason Ferris » Wed 08 Oct 2003 5:51 pm

Hi Daryl

These are great photos. How did you manage to post them?

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Brian K. » Wed 08 Oct 2003 5:56 pm

Hi Daryl,

What part of Melbourne are you from, there maybe experienced dog trainers near you that I am sure would like to take some time in helping your Lab's retrieving.

Cheers, Brian
Brian K.

Postby Daryl » Thu 16 Oct 2003 3:03 pm

I am in Heidelberg in Melbournes North, by the Yarra River.

Every time I post pics on a forum everyone is surprised!

Here are the instructions:

1. You need to have the picture hosted on the net somewhere. I'm sure the site admin would help you with this (phatfil@optushome.com.au).

2. Next you need to 'call' the picture into the post. You do this buy adding the picture address between [~img]http://www.picsofmypuppies.com.au/fluffy.jpg[/img] ignoring everything in red!

My example:
[~img]http://www.digitalpics.com.au/dogs/Flip%2004.jpg[/img]

I hope this helps

Daryl
Daryl

Postby Guest » Thu 16 Oct 2003 6:59 pm

Daryl,

As a photographer, you may have a variable working schedule.

We train in the Berwick area. You are more than welcome to train with our group. Normally any time of the day is fine with us.

Email or right if you are interested.

Julie Cramond - juliecramond@bigpond.com or ring 97072705.

Bring your camera, what great photos of your black dogs!!!!

Postby Guest » Thu 16 Oct 2003 7:00 pm

Daryl,

As a photographer, you may have a variable working schedule.

We train in the Berwick area. You are more than welcome to train with our group. Normally any time of the day is fine with us.

Email or ring if you are interested.

Julie Cramond - juliecramond@bigpond.com or ring 97072705.

Bring your camera, what great photos of your black dogs!!!!

Jealous

Postby Jason Ferris » Fri 17 Oct 2003 10:09 am

Hi Julie

Now you are really trying to make us all jealous - first the trip to the US and now letting slip that you can train "any time of the day". Next you are going to tell us that your three young dogs are still going as well as they were at Easter. You have the perfect trialers life!

Cheers, Jason.

:mrgreen:
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Julie Cramond » Fri 17 Oct 2003 1:47 pm

Jason,

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

I am one hell of a lucky person, all due to my wonderful husband Andrew.

My three young ones are finally entered in another trial (restricted), in 3 weeks. I expect them to do well, or else really really badly. LOL.

I also bought a remote control 12 shot dummy launcher home with me. The best thing since sliced bread EVEN better than a good glass of red wine. Now that is saying something. I love the damm thing.
Julie Cramond

Red red wine ...

Postby patt » Sat 15 Nov 2003 7:55 am

That thrower must be good Julie, as I know how much you like red wine. :lol:
patt

Return to General