All Age Retrieving Dog - how to record eligibility

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

All Age Retrieving Dog - how to record eligibility

Postby Jason Ferris » Thu 19 May 2005 10:07 am

Hi all

Last night at the ACT Gundog Society committee meeting we talked about how to keep track of finishers in All Age for the purpose of documenting qualifications for the new All Age Retrieving Dog title.

I was interested to know what other states have put in place for this, and particularly if there has been any thought put into a national approach.

Two options which have been raised were to award a All Age finisher card signed by the judge at the end of each trial (like th placegetters get now), or to give each handler a card with ten spots on it which they take to the judge at the end of the trial and get them to sign.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

AARD cards

Postby Lynne Strang » Thu 19 May 2005 5:05 pm

In WA the Canine Assoc has produced cards on which the competitor fills in the details themselves. This means the Trial Sec does not have extra work. The competitor passes the card to the judge to be signed. These cards have been distributed to clubs holding Retrieving Trials.
This is already in operation and seems to work well.
Lynne Strang
Lynne Strang

Postby Jason Ferris » Thu 19 May 2005 6:48 pm

Thanks for the info Lynne. Do you know if there is someone at the WA Canine Assoc that I could contact to get an electronic copy of the card?

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Kate Eltringham » Thu 19 May 2005 8:59 pm

Jason,

Noel and Margaret Hall have or have access to an electronic copy of what is being used in Victoria.

A form where it is the responsibility of the handler to collect information and signatures.

Cheers

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Margaret Hall » Mon 06 Jun 2005 8:00 pm

I think it is important that we try and coordinate a national scheme for the collection of these records so the process is easy if competitors go interstate. I know Qld have a system whereby the clubs fill in a form with all the placings and the finishers of the trial and that is then sent to the controlling body for future reference later on.
I thought a one card system for triallers to fill in would be better than having to keep multiple card from each trial they finish. The card could be filled in and signed by the judge on the day.
The problem with any of these systems is making sure that the competitors keep a copy of the trials they finish but if you want to gain the title then you have to be responible for keeping the records and not losing them.

So maybe we need to have a combination of both systems....
one the competitor fills in so he has a running total of trials finsihed and one the clubs fill in as a backup for when people apply for the title and the information has to be verifiedby the member body eg VCA.

Those are my thoughts on the idea. I do have a DRAFT form pof the triallers card that I can send to other people if they are interested to see it.

Margaret Hall
Margaret Hall

SA's ideas re AARD

Postby Gail Phoenix » Mon 06 Jun 2005 10:31 pm

SA triallers are still discussing ideas for AARD.
I personally like the log book idea & the onus is on the trialler for getting it signed by the judge at the trial. Some people want a separate sheet for each trial.

Some clubs have a sheet much like a prize card that has been signed by the judge & states the dog has completed the A/A stake to his/her satisfaction. Not too much extra work for the trial sec. to get these signed when all the other paper work is being done unless you have a big field completing the stake.

SACA has a form for those people wishing to apply for AARD title which they will post out to you. Not yet available to download from their website.
Gail Ph
Gail Phoenix

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 14 Jun 2005 7:22 pm

To view the Victorian DRAFT form, click here.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Pat Thorn » Thu 16 Jun 2005 2:33 pm

Has anybody though of a laptop that could be used on the day, then at a convenient time upload the details to a central database. This would alleviate any competitors having to keep records. Most laptops can be used off a car cigarette lighter.

The database could then be used on the site for any enquiries etc.
Pat
Pat Thorn

Return to General