electric collars

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

electric collars

Postby Alan Martin » Thu 09 Jun 2005 10:57 am

I have just learnt of this website through an article in the American magazine "The Retriever Journal". In the article it stated that shock collars were banned in Australia. Can anyone confirm/clarify this for me please. Is this Federal or State Legislation or a Club ruling. I personally do not approve of the remote collars but I do use an electric bark collar to control a Lab bitch who anticipates going hunting and its the only thing that will stop her barking while travelling in a trailer. Cheers, Alan.
Alan Martin

Postby Jason Ferris » Thu 09 Jun 2005 12:04 pm

Hi Alan

Welcome to the site. I haven't seen the latest RJ, but it is good to know this site is getting a mention.

Dog collars incorporating a device designed to give an electric shock are deemed prohibited imports under the CUSTOMS (PROHIBITED IMPORTS) REGULATIONS 1956 - SCHEDULE 2 (Goods the importation of which is prohibited unless the permission in writing of the Minister or an authorised person has been granted). The relevant bit of the Regulations is on the Australasian Legal Information Institute website (scroll down to item 10).

However I understand that there are companies that have imported parts for collars into Australia and assembled them here. Their use is then regulated by State and Territory animal welfare legislation. I believe that the use of electronic collars is allowed in some states.

What is the legal situation with using collars across in NZ?

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Alan Martin » Thu 09 Jun 2005 2:51 pm

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply. There are no restrictions on electric collars here in NZ. Though a lot of the people that buy them dont have the discipline to use them correctly. I will be moving to Queensland later this year but might just leave the collar here. I also use starting pistols and dummy launchers over here for training, they are not covered by the Arms Act and as such you do not need a Licence. Is it difficult to obtain a Licence for them in Australia? Cheers Alan.
Alan Martin

Postby Jason Ferris » Fri 10 Jun 2005 10:04 am

Sorry Alan, I don't know much about the firearms importation regulations or the legislation in Queensland. I suspect that the starter pistol will be a problem - they are covered by the same regulations as handguns in many states. The dummy launcher should be ok. I know a few people who have imported them in the past.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Collars, etc

Postby Alan Donovan » Tue 14 Jun 2005 7:43 am

Hi Alan

Here in sunny Queensland:

The use of remote electric collars for training dogs is not permitted by the Canine Control Council. Anti bark collars are in common use.

A "blank fire" firearms licence is available to allow the use of a starting pistol - not sure what they would think of a dummy launcher. Try contacting the Brisbane police on (61) 7 3364 6464 (ask for the Weapons Licensing branch) for information eg on bringing weapons into Qld, and getting a licence.

You are welcome to contact me about life in Qld, the trialling activities here, etc:

adonovan@powerup.com.au

Cheers - Alan
Alan Donovan

Return to General