Help! Car modifications!

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Help! Car modifications!

Postby Joanne Hagan » Mon 25 Jul 2005 8:06 pm

I need to find someone in Canberra who can do some car modifications at a reasonable price! I need to fit out the back of the ute so that I can transport dogs/baby gear/dog gear and ideally keep the dog hair etc off the baby gear. I looked into those cargo drawers but ye gods, they're not cheap.

Anyone in the local area have any suggestions on where I could go to get this done? Hubby is getting keen to have a go himself but I might be waiting the rest of the year and I've only got 11 weeks (or less!!!) before I need this done. And two grand for a cargo drawer is a bit rich!!

Joanne
Joanne Hagan

Postby Jason Ferris » Mon 25 Jul 2005 8:56 pm

Hi Jo

Pride's Auto at Fyshwick can do it - they fitted out a sledding friend's ute with a false floor and mesh cages for around $1000. If you want tips on designs talk to Bob Tawton and Graeme Parkinson - I borrrowed lots of ideas from them in making mine.

Based on my experience I'd say that you need to maximise the amount of room for baby stuff. They may only be little but they have a huge amount of gear!! :wink:

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Cages

Postby Robert Tawton » Tue 26 Jul 2005 10:20 am

Hi Joe,

Depending on what you have in mind I could be interested. Please give me a ring.

BFN, RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Joanne Hagan » Wed 27 Jul 2005 8:24 pm

Thankyou Jason & Bob. Bob, I will give you a call, will be out of town next couple of days though, Jeremy would like to come and have a look at your set up as well. Will chat to you later about it though

Good luck at the trials this weekend

Cheers

Jo
Joanne Hagan

Car modifications

Postby Bob Pickworth » Mon 08 Aug 2005 6:21 am

Joanne,
I have recently made a removeable 3 unit cage for my twin Cab (new Toyota Hilux Ute). I have details, specs and a cutting sheet of materials if you are interested. It sits above the wheel arches (With storage compartment underneath and each section is 750mm long, 490mm wide. The back is 495mm high and 595mm high at front. Mine is a "hi top" canopy (ARB), hence front/back difference.

The new Hi lux is considerably higher, longer and deeper than any other twin cab on the market (one of the reasons for the purchase).

The floor is 12mm marine ply and frame 20mm box section "duragal"
Give me a ring if you want spec sheet and design. - 0405502952
Regards,
Bob Pickworth
Bob Pickworth

Postby Gareth Tawton » Tue 16 Aug 2005 7:24 pm

Hi Jo,

Any of the welding firms in fyshwick can also make up what you are looking for. Try Baxter engineering take your ute and just describe what you want and they will price it for you. There is also a great guy in Queanbeyan who did my canopy. I can get his details if you want but its at the end of Aurora Place just up from the motor registry. Good luck trying to keep baby gear clean!!!! It's impossible. Maybe try a trailer.

As I watched Riley sampling the various flora and fauna at recent trials (including his favourite gum leaves and ants) I now realise a little dog hair and slobber is nothing :)

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Return to General