NZer to compete at Nationals

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

NZer to compete at Nationals

Postby Karen Parnell » Wed 10 Aug 2005 9:21 am

Hi all,

As some of you will be aware there will be a Kiwi triallist flying the flag at the upcoming NSW State & National retrieving championships. Tony Hogarth from Christchurch is making the trip over the ditch to compete with his black Labrador bitch Molly.

This is a great opportunity for people to quiz Tony on how we run our NZ trials (are you there Julie C?) or if you were thinking of coming over for a holiday/hunting trip (I remember a couple of you approached me at the Easter Trials in 2004) – Tony is the ideal person to chat to. Tony is very much a keen sportsman when it comes to shooting and with the aid of his job (he’s a stock agent) he is able to get out into country that may be limited to others.

New Zealand’s Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries has granted Tony special dispensation enabling Molly to be out of the country for an extra day without having to go through rigorous re-entry requirements (the costs of which are apparently outrageous – these blood tests for the babesi tick will unfortunately start to kill future canine importations from Australia).

Tony is owned by four dogs – three black Labradors (Bess, Molly and Hurley) and one English Springer Spaniel (Abbey). Hurley was recently imported from the UK and is from working lines. Molly is one of NZ's top retrievers, however Tony is well aware that your trials are quite different and he certainly isn't expecting to be placed :D He's just coming over for the experience!

I know that you guys will give Tony a huge warm welcome when he gets there, I hope you enjoy his company as much as I know he’s going to enjoy yours!! …. Wish I was coming over now…. :cry:

Cheers
Karen
Karen Parnell

Postby Jason Ferris » Wed 10 Aug 2005 9:46 am

Hi Karen

Thanks for the profile on Tony. I am certainly looking forward to meeting him and watching Molly run.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Julie Cramond » Thu 11 Aug 2005 12:15 pm

Karen,

Can I lure you too??? A group of us girls, have booked a homestay property which consists of two B and Bs. You are more than welcome to join us.

Tony if he is desperate can stay too, I suppose LOL, not that he would go home sane.
Julie Cramond

Postby Karen Parnell » Thu 11 Aug 2005 1:05 pm

I wish I could come over Julie! Never mind... I'm sure Tony WOULD enjoy the b&b - don't know about the sane bit but I bet he would come home very happy!!! :D Please take the opportunity to quiz him on our trials, especially as our 'intended conversations' never happened (and something I feel rather guilty about!!). :oops:

Jason - its nice to know Tony & Molly will be in safe hands. I'm going to scare the b-jesus out of Tony this weekend at our club champs when I describe your trials to him and tell him what he has to achieve in his training.

Cheers
K.
Karen Parnell

Postby Julie Cramond » Thu 11 Aug 2005 2:25 pm

Karen Parnell wrote:I wish I could come over Julie! Never mind... I'm sure Tony WOULD enjoy the b&b - don't know about the sane bit but I bet he would come home very happy!!! :D Please take the opportunity to quiz him on our trials, especially as our 'intended conversations' never happened (and something I feel rather guilty about!!). :oops:

Jason - its nice to know Tony & Molly will be in safe hands. I'm going to scare the b-jesus out of Tony this weekend at our club champs when I describe your trials to him and tell him what he has to achieve in his training.

Cheers
K.

OK Karen, what is your excuse, LOL? There must be so many good flight specials with all the snow bunnies flying between our countries. I will even shout you SIX alcoholic drinks, as a lure for you to join us.
Julie Cramond

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Thu 11 Aug 2005 4:19 pm

Hi Karen, while we've never met I can assure you (having spent a lot of time over the years with Julie and co at trials) that you would have a ball if you could just get over here! And those 6 drinks Julie's promising would more than likely turn into 26 in short order!

I hope Tony manages to have some fun in the process of running in our National - everyone will no doubt make him very welcome!

Take care,

Teresa
Teresa Parkinson

Return to General