All Age Dogs

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

All Age Dogs

Postby Prue Winkfield » Mon 07 Nov 2005 8:25 am

Now the trial season is over for 2005, I was wondering how many judges are signing some sort of certificate, and if so what, for dogs who complete an All Age to go towards the new Award - how many dogs have now obrtained that Award who have not got their title of RtCh? For those dogs that obtained the Award, were trials completed before January 1 counted?Also how many new RtChs have been made up this year?
Prue Winkfield

Postby Kerry Webster » Mon 07 Nov 2005 11:28 am

Hi Prue,

In W.A. we had two dogs attain their R.T.Champion title. A Golden Retriever owned by Jean Henderson, and a Labrador Retriever owned by Judy Pannett.
Judy's dog also attained his AARD title after completing 10 All Age trials, prior to achieving his R.T.Ch.

The system used for the AARD here is, that each club holds certificates which have been printed by the CAWA, and at the completion of each All Age trial these are made available to all handlers who have completed the trial with their eligible dogs to fill in their details. The cards are then collected and signed by the judge and handed back to the owners at presentations. This system has worked very well over here, with the onus being on the owner to make sure the card is filled in and signed on the day.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Jackie Price » Mon 07 Nov 2005 4:51 pm

Hi Prue
up here is sunny Queensland, we have made only one RT CH and you were there at the time, my Weimaraner RT CH Bromhund Major. As for AARD I don't think we have any dog at present who have this title. Most clubs up here give out a certificate at the end of the trial to all All Age finishers
Jackie
Jackie Price

Postby Gail Phoenix » Sat 12 Nov 2005 2:19 pm

Hi Prue,
In SA this year, only one dog attained their AARD that was my GSP bitch, Lotti. She went on to gain her RT Ch title later in the season.
Finishes prior to 2005 were counted for her AARD. I had place cards to use as proof of A/A finishes.
All clubs provided signed certificates to non titled A/A finishers.

Gail
Gail Ph
Gail Phoenix

Postby Prue Winkfield » Sun 13 Nov 2005 8:21 am

Thanks everyone - only four this year, must check with Jason and Jack Montasell re NSW and Victoria think Jack Lynch titled his young bitch so that should be at least one more
Prue Winkfield

Postby Kerry Webster » Sun 13 Nov 2005 11:43 am

Hi Gail,

I'm pretty sure that you would find that the AARD title only applies to finishing dogs in A/A trials after January 2005, and should not include any results from previous years.

If that had been the case, we would have had many more dogs with their AARD title because of finish's in past years trials.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby Judy Pannett » Sun 13 Nov 2005 12:01 pm

Hi Kerry,
I also understood it was only All Age finishes since Jan 2005 that counted towards the AARD title or Josh would have had his earlier. Also there would be many dogs who could have claimed it retrospectively.
Regards,
Judy Pannett
Judy Pannett

Postby Kerry Webster » Sun 13 Nov 2005 7:12 pm

I have looked up the new rules in the rulebook and definitely can confirm that the AARD title only applies from 1/1/2005, so any finish's from previous years cannot be counted towards the title.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby Gail Phoenix » Wed 16 Nov 2005 7:58 pm

Hi all,
I checked before applying with SACA who checked with ANKC about this rule as various different interpretations were being put forward. They stated that the dog must have competed after 1/1/05 & completed the qualification after that date.
SACA took my money & have published it in the SACA journal.
If the RAFT committee think this is incorrect, I am happy for them to inform SACA & myself & rescind this title.
Perhaps there is a need to rewrite the rule so that there can be no argument about the intention of the rule as the ruling bodies have a different understanding to that of the retrieving fraternity.
Gail Ph
Gail Phoenix

Postby Kerry Webster » Wed 16 Nov 2005 8:52 pm

Sorry Gail, you've lost me.

Your first post said you took placings from trials previous to 1/1/05 to make up your dog's AARD, now you agree that the dog has to have completed trials after that date to qualify for the AARD title.

Any qualifications by finishing an All Age trial prior to 1/1/05 do not count towards the AARD title, only trials held since that date, so I think the SACA have been incorrect if they allowed 2003, 2004 or earlier qualifiers to be included. As stated previously, if this was allowed there would be many more dogs with their title.

Regards,

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby Prue Winkfield » Thu 17 Nov 2005 8:45 am

Apparently there were no new RtChs in Victoria this year so it looks as if there were only four plus any in NSW?

Re the wording of the AARD - think SA is technically correct in line with the wording for the new award but suspect that may not have been the original intention as there was no requirement to record who finished prior to this year, whereas in other awards the winners of stakes are notified to the state bodies so there can be no dispute. I was wondering if any judges refused to give someone a signature for finishing because the work was not up to standard?
Prue Winkfield

Postby Jason Ferris » Thu 17 Nov 2005 11:54 am

Prue - off the top of my head I am fairly sure that only one dog got its RTCH in NSW this year. That was Jack Lynch's RT Ch Coalsgarth Tassie Fern which went from Restricted into a second place in the NSW State Ch, a DNF in the National followed by two AA wins in one weekend at the last trial of the year in NSW. This will definitely be a dog to watch in 2006.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Gail Phoenix » Thu 17 Nov 2005 6:05 pm

My last comment on this subject.
Some of my A/A finishes were prior to 2005 but also included finishes during 05 season therefore completed some of the 10 qualification after 1/1/05
Gail
Gail Ph
Gail Phoenix

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 17 Nov 2005 6:50 pm

Gail/Kerry,

I haven't doubled check but am pretty sure Gail is right. Some "points" must have been gained after 01/01/05 but not all. This prevented retrospective titles for dead or no longer competing dogs but allowed a currently competing dog to use past points towards the AARD title but they must include at least one finish after 01/01/05. This would be the same as what is in place for the Grand Ch title.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

AARD

Postby Bob Pickworth » Thu 17 Nov 2005 9:30 pm

Is it necessary to have the judge issue a certificate or the club secretary issue a letter to substantiate a finsh outside a major place (1st, 2nd, 3rd) in order to be eligible for AARD title? or is it merely necessary to provide AKC with the trial date and fact the dog finished? - I have only been awarded points once in 4 finishes in 2005 (a 2nd place) and not received a certificate or letter?

Bob
Bob Pickworth

Next

Return to General