SNAKES

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

SNAKES

Postby Kerry Webster » Sun 13 Nov 2005 11:53 am

Hi everyone,

I am feeling rather nervous after having a visit to the garden last night, by a 5 foot dugite snake which was very aggressive. This is the first we have had here, apart from a python.

I am getting some Vitamin C and wondered how much is the norm for injecting into the dogs after snakebite.
Does anyone have info on this ?

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Steve Grainger » Sun 13 Nov 2005 1:12 pm

HI Kerry

I read this information in a Shooting Magazine some years back . I have never had an occasion to use this even though we have came accross a lot of snakes my dog's seem to know to give them a wide birth.
Here goes .. "If you live where there are snakes always have on hand .. 1 bottle of Injectable Vitamin C .. 2 Syringes and a 21 gauge needle . after the dog is bitten wait for the dog to collapsed on the ground then inject 20 mills of Vitamin C under the skin on the back of the dogs neck, if there is no improvement within a few minutes repeat the injection again as before, get your dog to a Vet as soon as you are able.
Vitamin C overdose will not hurt your dog, at the worst it can sometimes cause diarrhoea."
As I said I haven't had to use this thank god, as for the dosage there was nothing on the dog's weight as to per mills so I can only presume that 20 mills would give a broad coverage.Also I don't know about waiting for the dog to collapse before injecting the vitamin C, I don't know if I could wait before trying to help.
You can get the Vitamin C and Syringes at large produce stores.

Steve
Steve Grainger

Snakes

Postby Garrick Bridges » Sun 13 Nov 2005 3:25 pm

Hi Kerry,
I have heard about the Vitamin C but have never been sure whether it is fact or fallacy. I think most people have heard some anectodal stories as to the effectiveness of Vitamin C following snake bite.
Recently there was some discussion in one of the large rural newspapers (The Land?) in the 'Letters to the Editor' column. Several vets and a toxicologist replied and it seemed the belief of the experts was that Vitamin C would not be beneficial if the envenomation was fatal in strength.
I suppose in some of the stories you hear where the dog survives a bite and is given Vit C, they may have survived without any intervention at all.
Regards,
Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Postby Kerry Webster » Sun 13 Nov 2005 7:19 pm

Garrick and Steve,

Thanks for your replies.
I am not convinced that any of my dogs would steer clear of a snake and are more likely to investigate.

As I live a good hour, of fast driving, from the closest Vet, anything is worth a go in the case of a snakebite, and I am getting the Vitamin C as well as a special herbal remedy that I have used on two other dogs bitten by snakes. Both survived and are well.

I like to be prepared, just in case, and try anything if it saves the dog. Like you Steve, I don't think I would be waiting till the dog collapsed to start treatment though.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Mon 14 Nov 2005 9:35 am

We had our first visit last Thursday. I came home and found a Tiger snake dead in the back yard. It had been bitten in half. There were no dead dogs so obviously none had been bitten.

We have 3 vets in a triangle about 25ks apart from each other and they deal with approx. 20 snake bites each per year. We mainly get browns and tigers in this area.
Last year at home we had 9 browns and 2 tigers around the house.

Our vet gives the vitamin C. He uses it in conjunction with anti-venom. He says the vitamin C can’t hurt and if it helps it’s a bonus.

Don’t wait for the dog to collapse.

If you have a dog bitten by a tiger or brown and it goes down they will often suddenly jump up and look like everything is ok. Don’t be mistaken this is just the calm before the storm.

Get to a vet ASAP.
Wayne Parkinson

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 17 Nov 2005 6:45 pm

Kerry,

I to have heard of the Vitamin c Iinjection. I am sure you can never overdose on vitamin c. The body simply ejects what it can't use. I figure anything is better than nothing. If I were you I would snake train the dog so that the only chance of them being bitten is if they come across a snake with out realising.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Kerry Webster » Fri 18 Nov 2005 11:28 am

Hi Gareth,

Yes, I agree with you there. Problem is finding a snake (dead) to train the dogs with.

All the snakes I have seen on the road are squashed. I will look out for one this season as there certainly are plenty about.

I did do a bit of snake training last year, with a resident python, who was very obliging in allowing me to bring the dogs up close, but by the fourth dog the snake was getting bored with the whole thing and giving me a "look".

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby Peter Doley » Sun 20 Nov 2005 9:20 pm

When buying Vitamin C the active constituent needs to be 500mg/ml ascorbic acid. You cannot overdose on V.C. Is also given when you animal has had trauma and is often give prior to operations and to aid healing Etc 10cc for a small dog 4 to 6 times for a large dog. All this info is from the book Natural Pet Care by Pat Coleby. Pat is a vet (retired)and is in to natural therapy. She has also published a book for horses which I am told is very good. I have never had to use VC for snake bite but given that a dog will probably get bitten on the weekend a long way from a vet you would have nothing lost and perhaps at least gain time to get to a vet
Peter Doley

Return to General