optigen update

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

optigen update

Postby Maureen Cooper » Fri 02 Dec 2005 12:08 pm

Things have changed since I last got my dogs done!

This service is now performed by Queensland Equine Genetics Research Centre and forms are now downloaded for you to fill in on http://www.aegrc.uq.edu.au and then go to the "Canine Services" button (on left) and then to the "Optigen Test Request Form and Credit Card Payments" button (on right) and wait for forms to come up and then print out, follow instructions.

Unfortunately the closing date for samples this year is December 2nd due to relocation and they will then receive samples again from January 6th 2006.

Blood draws may be done at your vet but make sure he/she knows the protocol for sending to Queensland and it must arrive before a weekend so best to have done on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

The prcd-PRA test costs $AUD257 per dog but litters may also be tested. A NARC test is also available for Labradors at extra cost. There are other gene tests available for other gundog breeds so check their list.

I have not heard of narcolepsy in Labradors here but this does not mean it does not exist here. The prcd-PRA gene is the one problem we do have in Labradors which can now be eliminated/controlled by breeding with tested dogs.

For those who are not aware of the effects of the prcd-PRA disease it means that your dog may be a carrier of the disease and when mated to another carrier the result could be be progeny going blind from the age of 18 months onwards. The Optigen test will tell you the status of your dog. You are then able to make an informed decision regarding breeding with your dog/s.

Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Return to General