Moderator?

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Moderator?

Postby Jason Ferris » Mon 10 Nov 2003 12:21 pm

Hi all

Just thought I'd post a brief message to explain why my name has suddenly appeared as a moderator on the Australian Working Retriever Central bulletin board. I have volunteered to undertake this role which is complimentary to Ashley Oliver's role as webmaster for the main http://www.australianworkingretrievercentral.org.au page.

According to the FAQ moderators are "individuals (or groups of individuals) whose job it is to look after the running of the forums from day to day. They have the power to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally moderators are there to prevent people going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material."

I hope that my role can be a little more positive - encouraging people to make full use of the bulletin boards and posting material that hopefully will be of interest to you. Of course if people do post libellous or offensive material or get too carried away with commercial promotion, I may have to step in, but I hope that won't be necessary.

If you have any questions or suggestions on how to make this bulletin board more useful, please feel free to send me a private message or reply to this posting - others may be interested in your question too.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Prue Winkfield » Mon 10 Nov 2003 12:34 pm

Well done Jason - am sure you will do a great job. Prue
Prue Winkfield

website

Postby Kirsty Blair » Mon 10 Nov 2003 7:29 pm

Hi Jason,

I think you'll be a great moderator! I hope we end up having some heated discussions that need moderating - sounds exciting! :mrgreen:

I have a question that I'm sure you or Ashley can answer. Is there a link from the bulletin board back to the main page that I can't find? I have to use the "back" function on my browser and it takes me back through all my bulletin board posts, messages etc on the way there.

Many thanks,
Kirsty

P.S. I'm currently teaching my Welsh Cob horse to retrieve - you might see him in Novice next year :wink:
Kirsty Blair

Navigating the site

Postby Ashley Oliver » Mon 10 Nov 2003 10:45 pm

Hi Kirsty,

I'm not aware of any link back to the main page. In truth the news items and main page software are completely unrelated to the software driving the bulletin board. The only real link is they are located the same directory of a computer hard disk.

If I'm organised, "yeah, like that happens often," whilst in the bulletin board, I open a second window in my browser and use my bookmarks to get it onto the main page. Then I can jump back and forth to the bulletin maintaining my position in both by simply switching windows.

Does this help? May not have made myself clear?

Ashley
Ashley Oliver

Workaround

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 11 Nov 2003 8:54 am

Hi Kirsty

I have been frustrated by the same problem. The only solution I came up with was to add links to the bulletin board and main page to my "links" toolbar (I'm using Internet Explorer). To switch between the two pages I just click on the toolbar button.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Return to General