Trial setups, pictures and descriptions

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Trial setups, pictures and descriptions

Postby FOM - Lainee » Thu 02 Feb 2006 7:36 am

Hello again. It looks like we are definately going to be visitng Australia for our Honeymoon and attending the trial on Easter weekend - flights have been booked! :D

So I'm looking for more information on your trials. Pictures of setups would be awesome with an explaination of the setup and the judge's comments/directions. Anything would be greatly appreciated - mostly interested in Restricted and AA type setups, unless I get offered a Novice dog to run, too. :wink:

You can post here and/or send an email to me directly at lkshinsato@earthlink.net

Thanks in advance,

Lainee, Flash and Bullet
FOM - Lainee

national descriptions

Postby Peter Betteridge » Tue 07 Feb 2006 7:53 pm

Lainee
check out the judges critique for this years national.Also on the articles and archives page you can read Bob Tawton's excellent description of Australian retrieving trials.
we are all very keen to meet you at easter,how about posting up your itineary so we can organize you some people to meet and some places to train
welcome to australia
Peter Betteridge

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 07 Feb 2006 9:42 pm

Dear Lainee,

Stop worrying!!!. You will be fine.

The night before I was to observe my first US AKC hunt test, I could not sleep a wink, due to the excitement of finally observing tests which I had been told were most like our Australian trials. In fact I had been told our tests were copied from the US many years ago.

Remember I was tired but I looked like this: :shock:
:lol:

Your a smart girl, you will understand the tests quickly. Just try to sleep the night before!!! Our judges I am sure will be more than happy to explain the tests. There is no possible way to cover all the different runs.

Peter, Lainee is obviously a labrador nut!!!!. Who else honeymoons while observing dog training and trialling, with no real tourist inclinations. With the time frame Lainee and her husband David have in Victoria I will be showing her pictures/photos of our native flora and fauna. Mind you as one drives into Benalla, there are many kangaroos on the golf course, and other US visitors have greatly enjoyed the various species of wild colourful birds.
Julie Cramond

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 07 Feb 2006 9:57 pm

Lainee,

Heres a thread which has a few photos of last years Easter trial held by the Central Highlands at Benalla. I will email you lots more.

http://www.australianworkingretrieverce ... ter+photos

Julie
Julie Cramond

Postby FOM - Lainee » Wed 08 Feb 2006 5:07 am

Julie,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just want to make a good showing. I've run every possible venue I can here in the US so I'm positive there is little that will be presented that I haven't seen, however like any good student of any game I want to come prepared - some say its about the dogs, well I won't lie I want to win, too! :wink: Also nothing worse than going out because of stupid handler mistakes! It is a team sport and I owe it to the dog to be as prepared as I can, so I'll worry and stress, but try my best to be cool and collected on the line!

I am really looking foward to the visit, attending training and trialing with all of you. I'm really looking foward to seeing the dogs work. Never know might have to sneak a puppy home with me ;)

Peter - I've read all the descriptions! :D But always looking for more! As far as my itineary, well the finer details have not be completely worked out, but we are working on it.

Lainee, Flash and Bullet
FOM - Lainee

Postby FOM - Lainee » Thu 09 Feb 2006 4:59 am

Okay I have a question. I recieved several writeup and pictures, thank you to those who have sent me emails!

I kept reading "doublerise" - what is that?

FOM
FOM - Lainee

Postby Peter Betteridge » Thu 09 Feb 2006 8:29 am

lainee
a double rise is usually a leg of a run where you shoot twice at a mark and send your dog.As your dog returns with the first bird another bird is placed in the general area (within 10 meters and usually deeper) you then send the dog back to the same area and your dog is expected to resume his hunt.At all age level few dogs have much difficulty with this concept and it is a bit of a nothing run
Peter Betteridge

Postby Prue Winkfield » Thu 09 Feb 2006 10:16 am

Lainee - am sure you will be fine! All our judges show us the runs beforehand from the starting point and we have time to have a good look and memorise things. When we go up to the start, most of the judges ask us if we understand the run so if you have any queries, they would also answer them then. However, it has been known for people to write in ink on their hand the order of pickup :idea: ! Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby FOM - Lainee » Fri 10 Feb 2006 5:20 am

Peter Betteridge wrote:lainee
a double rise is usually a leg of a run where you shoot twice at a mark and send your dog.As your dog returns with the first bird another bird is placed in the general area (within 10 meters and usually deeper) you then send the dog back to the same area and your dog is expected to resume his hunt.At all age level few dogs have much difficulty with this concept and it is a bit of a nothing run

Peter,

Interesting, we do not have anything of the sort in the US and we try and discourage a dog to return to an old fall area and it can even cause you to be disqualified.

Thanks,

Lainee
FOM - Lainee

Postby FOM - Lainee » Fri 10 Feb 2006 5:23 am

Prue Winkfield wrote:Lainee - am sure you will be fine! All our judges show us the runs beforehand from the starting point and we have time to have a good look and memorise things. When we go up to the start, most of the judges ask us if we understand the run so if you have any queries, they would also answer them then. However, it has been known for people to write in ink on their hand the order of pickup :idea: ! Prue

Prue,

I hope you are right about me being just fine :wink: I just want to do right by the dogs, I'm sure you can understand that.

Oh goodie a test dog! I'm sure I have quiet a few questions.

I'm so looking foward to this trip!

Lainee, Flash and Bullet
FOM - Lainee

Postby Prue Winkfield » Fri 10 Feb 2006 11:08 am

Sorry - not a test dog - you can just have a good look and imagine your dog doing the perfect run or trying to anticipate where he may go wrong and need help - something that I am hopeless at!
Prue Winkfield

Return to General