Snakebite

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Snakebite

Postby Jason Ferris » Sun 26 Feb 2006 3:12 pm

Hi all

Thought I might post a lesson I learned last night for information...

My young lab bitch picked up a four foot tiger snake last night in the bushes next to her kennels. After unsuccessfully trying to deliver the snake to Kate (who was far from impressed), she dropped it and the snake moved off in a fairly undisturbed fashion. Because the snake wasn't responding aggressively, Kate and I thought we had been lucky and that the dog might have escaped a bite, but about 15 minutes later she started vomiting, so off to the emergency vet hospital we went. They kept her under observation and it wasn't until 4am (7 hours after contact with the snake) that full symptoms kicked in and she was given antivenin. In the intervening period she had occasional boughts of vomiting but no other observable signs of invenomation.

The vet reports are now very positive and we are expecting a full recovery, but it shows you can never be too careful in interpreting snake bite symptoms. It also shows that snakes are around and active at all times of the day and night in hot weather.

Hope you are all having a more relaxed weekend than we are.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Maureen Cooper » Sun 26 Feb 2006 4:57 pm

Jason, I am so sorry to hear she had been bitten following talking to you and hoping she had not been just after the event. At least you were on the ball and watching her when I left you. I am surprised that apart from occasional vomiting no further symptons showed until 4am.

Hope she and all of you will recover from your various health problems. You really have had enough.

Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Postby Joanne Hagan » Sun 26 Feb 2006 6:18 pm

Jason, glad to hear you kept a good eye on her afterwards but very sorry to hear that she was bitten. I hope that she recovers well and is back to her normal self soon. I think you and Kate need a good long holiday after all your recent events!

Jo
Joanne Hagan

Postby Joanne Hagan » Sun 26 Feb 2006 6:21 pm

Forgot to say Jason, she is in very good hands at the Emergency centre, I have nothing but high praise for the vets working there and they've always given the very highest of care to my dogs when we've had to take them in there.

Jo
Joanne Hagan

Postby Prue Winkfield » Tue 28 Feb 2006 8:43 am

Jason - how awful for you and hope she is now OK. Sometimes there are virtually no symptoms - I had a dog bitten and only knew something was wrong was when he did not come running into the kitchen when I was cooking! Evntually I found two puncture wounds - like a thorn had got into his leg. Only having been in Australia about 12 months, I had no idea what it was until a friend said I should take him to emergency - sure enough snake bite. Just illustrates how observant we have to be with any changed behaviour in our dogs. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 28 Feb 2006 10:04 am

Jason, Sorry to read of your lab. Was it Fin???????

Snakes are my number one fear during the warmer months. Recently I was offered another training property. It looked ideal, until the farmer advised me in the best water section, training wise, many snakes were about.
Julie Cramond

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 28 Feb 2006 10:27 am

An update...

My lab (yes Julie it was Fin) is home now and appears to be 100% fine.

The folks at the Animal Emergency Centre did a fantastic job and there is no indication of lasting effects. Unfortunately I can't say the same of our bank balance - but I guess you get what you pay for!

We had a cooler night here last night, so hopefully the summer is drawing to a close and the snakes will be less active.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 28 Feb 2006 10:33 am

Jason, glad to read she is fine.

Do not worry about the expense.............Andrew does not, any longer. What's money anyway!!!!

Some people would say we have strange priorities.

Certainly not me. All the same when our Ses, was diagnosed with metastatic carcinoma and the oncologists told me, a rabbit was being treated with chemotherapy, even I shocked. A rabbit!!!!!!
Julie Cramond

Postby Kerry Webster » Tue 28 Feb 2006 11:59 am

Hi Jason,

Glad to hear all is well with Fin after her altercation with a snake.

Gives me the heeby jeebies to think of dogs/puppies and snakes meeting up, and your reminder jolts me into being more aware, even at night.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Leanne O'Sullivan » Tue 28 Feb 2006 3:27 pm

Crikey Jason, it's very lucky you were on the ball. I'm glad all is well but I understand about vet bills. I feel as though I work solely to pay them. No wonder my vet has just moved into a lovely acreage with a new home. They could at least invite me over for dinner!!

Cheers
Leanne
Leanne O'Sullivan

Postby Vivienne Jones » Thu 02 Mar 2006 5:09 am

Hi Jason,

Glad to hear that Fin has recovered and all is well.

Regards,
Vivienne
Vivienne Jones

Return to General