Victorian Duck Open

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Victorian Duck Open

Postby Brian Kennedy » Mon 20 Mar 2006 1:12 pm

How did everyone go for the Victorian Duck Open? I went to the Loddon River with a few mates and we all bagged out on both Saturday and Sunday. A far as the dog work goes, Copper had step up a level in duck hunting, he has tuned in to what he is supposed to do. While walking the river and creeping up on bends, he is indicating if birds are on the other side of a row of reeds, and sure enough he was getting it right each time. He was controllable “most” of the time, but I am sure if a judge was present there would be few points left on his score card. I hope every one had a good time.
Brian Kennedy

Postby Gareth Tawton » Tue 21 Mar 2006 11:48 am

Brian,
In the Tawton world championship of duck shooting I was able to retain my title on count back. I think we would all agree that including a rabbit in the duck shooting world championship is a bit over the top!!! Gunbower shot well opening morning but pretty ordinary sunday. Jim Hargreaves shot a few but Trevor Stevens did a lot of driving for not many birds. I think he needs a reread of the prenup. I am sure if his is written like mine Duck opeing is pre witten on the family calendar every year which would allow him to be away for all of opening weekend not just saturday morning :wink:

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Craig Dyson » Tue 21 Mar 2006 4:24 pm

Brian,

I shot up on the Ovens River at Wangaratta three of us bagged out on Saturday morning in just over an hour and if anyone knows how i shoot youll know that is good going but with the dog out of action (due to broken bottle when training)it was not as enjoyable as usual due to me losing a bet and having to play retriever for the 3 of us.

Craig
Craig Dyson

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Thu 23 Mar 2006 7:45 am

We had a great weekend.
Ate good food. had a good hunt or two and told each other of the great shots that were taken and the great retrieves that were completed by our canine friends over a cup of coffee at night.
My dogs were very happy to be out hunting again.
So all in all it was a great weekend.
(I actually shot terribly but wouldn't admit to that)

Wayne P.
Wayne Parkinson

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 23 Mar 2006 5:02 pm

Wayne,

Do I assume from this the Parkinson world title is with Teresa or Graeme?

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Fri 24 Mar 2006 10:04 am

Gareth, unfortunately I couldn't be there for DO as my 93yo Grandad's health suddenly deteriorated so I travelled to Melbourne to visit him instead.

I can report though that the Parkinson Family title currently lies with Wayne since Graeme wasn't able to make down for DO so that contest will have to be played out some other time! :D

Bring it on!!!!!! :wink:

Teresa
Teresa Parkinson

Tawton World Championship

Postby Robert Tawton » Sat 25 Mar 2006 7:18 am

Hi All,

Gareth's claim to have retained his title as World Champion is based solely on his interpretation of the “rules”. Put simply; in the case of a draw, he as defending Champion retains the title. The counter view is that since my bag was all “Blacks” that must carry some additional weight when it comes to a count-back? Furthermore, I shot an extra item of game, albeit a rabbit, and its inclusion in the tally is based on precedent! I recall last season’s Parkinson title was won by a “hare”, so why not a rabbit?
You be the judge. :lol:

RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Thu 30 Mar 2006 11:30 am

Bob you are correct a precedent has been set.

The case of Parkinson versus Parkinson and the Great Hare Incident of 2005 went to appeal on two counts.

The first count revolved around the argument of who shot the fur. This count was dismissed under the Possession is nine tenths of the law and the old and often misused Finders’ Keepers rule.

2 The second count revolved around an attempt to claim that fur doesn’t count in a duck hunt. This count was also thrown out as the fur was encountered during the course of the hunt and as such was declared fair game.

So if the fur was taken as part of the hunt and there was no sneaking off in the bushes without telling anyone else, the fur is classed as fair game and included in the case of a draw.

Congratulations Bob welcome to the club.

Naturally I reserve the right to change the rules as required to hold my title.

Wayne P.
Wayne Parkinson

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 30 Mar 2006 12:23 pm

Wayne,

As a great legal mind such as yours would know, each and every case is slightly different and therefore open to different interpretation. In the case of Tawton vs Tawton the rabbit was included in Tawton Snrs bag to equal the tally of Tawton Jnr. One may argue that this is fair however strict application of the rules of world championship duck shooting, which clearly state that the defending champion must be "beaten" in order for him to relinguish his crown. As even with the inclusion of a stinking filthy mixo infected rabbit Tawton Snr could only equal my tally of beautfully presented Teal, Blackies and Woodies I must retain my world title from the 2005 opening.

I note your point in relation to sneaking off into the bushs to secure game. In think in this same vein the shooting of a blind mixo infected rabbit that is not fit for the table could hardly considered "hunting" and a clear contravention of rule 15a being " all game presented at tally time must be fit for consumption by humans".

I look forward to giving my opposition another chance next year.

Good shooting,

Gareth

PS winners are grinners
Gareth Tawton

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Thu 30 Mar 2006 12:46 pm

Gareth the earlier case of Parkinson vs Parkinson involved using the fur to reach a decision in the case of a draw.
The fur can't be used to create a draw.
After all it's not a rabbit hunt, it's a duck hunt.

Teal carry as many points as Black duck. There is also precedent for this.
Ray Ash once lost a bet when he shot mainly ducks and only four quail for the season and his friend shot only shot 2 ducks but by hunting quail in the end had a total of 2 more birds for the season. Ray's appeal rested on the fact that a "duck takes up more of the plate than a quail". It was dismissed.

Sorry Bob.
Well done Gareth.

For future reference.
Rule 15A has always been open to debate regarding the definition of "fit for the table".
Well ever since my friend Paul invited my to a barbie and tried to get me to eat an emu of questionqable age and parentage.

Therefore sule 15A 1 states if it was eaten then "ipso facto" it must have been fit for the table. The emu wasn't
Wayne P.
Wayne Parkinson

Duck Shooting World Championship

Postby Robert Tawton » Thu 30 Mar 2006 1:15 pm

Hi Wayne and Gareth,

Let us get two things straight, the tally of ducks was even and the rabbit was an extra item (an I didn't try tio include the snake) In regards to the mixo, if Gareth had taken the time to examine the rabbit he would have noted that "messy" head was infact caused by No 2 steel shot at about 20 yards , there was not a single pellet in the body of the rabbit - brilliant shot even if I say so myself! Furthermore, as I reflect on the incident it was one of the high lights of the two days. Tank made the find , was steady to the flush and shot, the head shot was a unexpected bonus, and the retrieve was very workman like, with a nice in front delivery to hand and throughout the whole exercise the only command I used was "fetch". :D

BFN, RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Thu 30 Mar 2006 1:37 pm

Ok, now it's getting very messy.
You two can fight it out and I will then find a rule and a precedent to support the winner.

Wayne P. :wink:
Wayne Parkinson

Postby Peter Doley » Thu 30 Mar 2006 3:09 pm

You are forgetting a very important rule that I often have to remind my son about.The father/son rule states " As father I am always right because I'm your father". Therefore Bob's ruling is correct and the rabbit counts. Just remember Gareth I am sure you will have to use this rule in the future so it would pay you to honor it.
Peter Doley

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 30 Mar 2006 5:15 pm

Peter,

You are totally correct. However it should be noted that once the 3rd generation arrives the father becoomes the grand father, son becomes father and the new son is never right!!!!! We all know that Grandfathers are never right the simply do whatever makes the grandson happy. In this particular case grandson agreees with his father :wink: it also becomes apparent that with the advent of becoming a grandparent also comes senility and the inability to do basic maths. There is no doubt that as of close of shooting sunday Dad was one bird down and one rabbit up. As to his shooting and dogs work well we have no witness so its all very questionable except that we could verify the rabbitt was full of mixo, blind and NOT eaten by man or dog. His dogs steadiness would also be oipen to question give his past performance on rabbits :wink: In future I think I will photograph all game taken to verify numbers.

This debate is sure to continue thru the generations.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Return to General