protective boot

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

protective boot

Postby Tony Rowland » Sat 15 Apr 2006 8:57 pm

hi all

My wei (ernie) has injured his foot training, something went between his toes which got infected. This led to stiches and the bottom of the pad being being warn down due to swelling. I would like to know if we can put a boot on the foot to protect it in competition. It has recovered enough to work but we would like to protect it for the ACT trail just in case. :?
Tony Rowland

Postby Joanne Hagan » Sun 16 Apr 2006 7:33 am

Hi Tony, I am not sure where to look, but I do know that the sledding folk have booties for their sled dogs to protect their feet. Maybe if you hop on the internet and have a search for some sledding suppliers, they might be able to point you in the right direction?

Cheers

Joanne
Joanne Hagan

Postby Joanne Hagan » Sun 16 Apr 2006 7:35 am

Sorry, and the other thing I can think of is a product called 'paw wax' which is like a wax that you smear on the pad - it has worked well for me in the past for cracked pads and works great when you have to show dogs on slippery surfaces too - gives them traction! The last place I bought that from was http://www.petnetwork.com.au

Cheers

Joanne
Joanne Hagan

Postby Tony Rowland » Sun 16 Apr 2006 3:23 pm

Hi Joanne
Thanks for the info. We have ordered some booties for Ernie but are unsure of the rules. Can he wear them in a trial?
Tony Rowland

Postby Joanne Hagan » Sun 16 Apr 2006 9:18 pm

Hi Tony - glad to hear you found some. As to whether he can wear them or not, I am not sure, in my not very knowledgeable opinion on these things, I don't see why not - but I am sure someone more in the know (like a judge :) ) can shed some more light

Cheers

Joanne
Joanne Hagan

Postby Jason Ferris » Sun 16 Apr 2006 9:30 pm

Tony

I am not a judge, but I believe that this is a grey area in the rules. Specific mention is made in the rules about removing the dog's collar, but nothing is said about bandages, boots or neoprene vests for that matter. I have seen several dogs run with tape to protect split nails or dew claws in the past, so I don't think it would be a problem, but it will be a decision for the judge and trial manager on the day.

I look forward to catching up with you at the ACT trial.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Return to General