How important are trophies?

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Are trophies and/or sashes for placegetters in retrieving trials important?

No, the dog's good work and the judges opinion is enough
14%
Yes, but a sash alone would do
23%
Yes, but a trophy or prize alone would do
14%
Yes, should have both trophies and sashes
50%

Total votes : 22

How important are trophies?

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 25 Nov 2003 12:22 pm

I have recently had a number of interesting discussions with people on the importance or otherwise of trophies and ribbons or sashes for place getters in retrieving trials. There seems to be a wide variety of views so I thought I'd set up a poll!

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Prue Winkfield » Tue 25 Nov 2003 3:16 pm

Think it nice to have both but only if the trophy is worth having - if not a sash would do!
Prue Winkfield

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 25 Nov 2003 3:24 pm

Hi Prue

Your response sums up the views of a number of people I have spoken to on this subject. The next question is, of course, how would you define "worth having" for the whole trialing community?

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Julie Cramond » Wed 26 Nov 2003 6:38 am

I do enjoy some of the trophies that I have been lucky enough to gain, but would be quite happy with just a ribbon.

With the money the clubs saved maybe it could be spent on good equal birds.

Julie - who still thinks an easy fix sometimes can be cheap. Same coloured birds for everyone on a particular run.
Julie Cramond

Postby Prue Winkfield » Wed 26 Nov 2003 8:21 am

Very difficult Jason but if we have a sash a tropy that can be used is nice - dog gear,food, outdoor gear, etc. One of the nicest trophies I have is a spaghetti bowl with a duck on it!
Prue Winkfield

Postby Jason Ferris » Wed 26 Nov 2003 8:44 am

Hi Prue

I agree that practical trophies are best, and also enjoy my plates with ducks on them (thanks to the Central Highlands Easter trial committee for those).

Given that the main thing that the trialling community has in common is dogs, do others agree that dog food, or training and trialling gear are the best bet for a trophy 'worth having'?

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Kerry Webster » Wed 26 Nov 2003 7:45 pm

Whilst I do enjoy getting a trophy/prize, especially for the big big trials, for the majority of trials, all of us are very happy to receive a sash.

The clubs over here have beautiful sashes for placegetters, well worth putting on the wall for show. Often at a trial which has been named after a person/dog/stud prefix etc. the person sponsoring will provide a prize for the first placegetter, which is always well received.

Certainly, the biggest A/A trials should continue with their prize list, as it makes it an elite event, but really, the receipt of a sash is generally given the recognition it deserves by the winners; but most triallers I know, are just happy to have done well with their dogs. They know they are winners, and that is the main part.

I do like the idea of "doggy" trophies, but we have also had several trials with timber themes, pottery theme, and glassware. As long as it is in good taste, I am sure anything would be received gratefully.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Trophies

Postby Robert Tawton » Wed 26 Nov 2003 8:00 pm

Hi All,

The ACT Gundog Society has wrestled with this issue and the consensus of opinion amongst the triallers that support our club was that Novice competitors placed greater emphasis on sashes and where possible a small trophy. On the other hand, most All Age competitors placed sashes at the bottom of their prioity list. Practical trophies like Training Dummies, a nice bottle/s of fine wine etc received universal support. On important aspect that is increasingly being overlooked by some Clubs is the issuing of formal Prize Cards and/or Retrieving Trial Certificates. I personally find these to be of great historical value (and they take up so little storage space) and I'm sure that many other triallers feel the same way.
Regards, RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Kate Eltringham » Fri 28 Nov 2003 8:20 am

'morning all,

I have been pondering this since the subject was posted and my answer came while preparing dinner last night ( I'll explain).

CHWGC present trophies and sashes at all of our trials, Easter the theme over the past few years has been Robert Gordon Pottery with duck, fish and pheasant and our second trial is either dog accessories or camping/outdoor gear. The feed back we receive from trialers after presentation has always been excellent and appreciative of the effort the club has gone to for trophies.

Personally IMHO the receiving of a trophy and a sash is important only to the handler, particularly that "first" trophy for a win or place as last night I was preparing a salad for tea and was using a salad bowl Pax had won in Novice. Having said that we have also, courtesy of Tess and Tike, received a lot of trophies that don't get used but Noel has kept all of the "firsts" for the two of them. Sashes we have them all!!!!!

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Fri 28 Nov 2003 9:22 am

Hi all.

Although I am more than happy just to see my dog work well, when we do run in the placings and prizes are awarded, I think practical prizes are the way to go - dog chamois, stake-out peg, dummies, dare I say...salad bowls :lol: etc. etc. These sorts of items don't gather dust and so rank very highly on my list!

Teresa Parkinson
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Ashley Oliver » Fri 28 Nov 2003 3:13 pm

Just a small problem with the vote? Like many of the questions on moterhood that the TV programs like to run it can depend on the way the question is phrased.

i.e. Would you like the Trial Fees to go up to provide a prize to the winners? :wink:

Viewewers of the results should also know of a point that was made at the AGM. Lots of people, Judges, Stewards and other volunteers, often donate their time and more to keep the sport affordable and to keep the people in it who don't win but provide competition. Does it reduce the significance of their effort if we single out people to recieve prizes?

Ashley
Ashley Oliver

Postby Prue Winkfield » Sat 29 Nov 2003 9:24 am

Another thought - as most people who regularly win and get placed are going for breed club annual trophies - perhaps we should give the trophies to the three people who came last - might encourage more people to stay in and provide competition! The could be encouragement trophies.
Prue Winkfield

trophies

Postby Maureen Cooper » Sun 21 Dec 2003 10:20 pm

As the trophy buyer for the NSW Gundog Soc. I feel that with entry fees of around $20 All Age and Restricted and $18 Novice then it is quite within the finances of clubs to provide trophies. Ribbons/sashes are around $4 each, birds cost us $2/3 each which leaves quite a fair amount to spare for trophies. Yes, there are schedules to send in, postage and shells or primers but this is only a small amount.

I am sitting here with over 100 ribbons festooned on walls and 21 rosettes and another 21 ribbons to find a space for! OK, some of these ribbons are also for shows and gundog working tests but it has got to the stage, after getting four dogs to All Age, where I now return place ribbons to the clubs concerned, keeping only first place and interstate ones.

Some of my trophies are very special to me and I still have my very first Novice third place 'cup' awarded on the 18.7.87 in the ACT, yes I even had it engraved I was so thrilled and I think the same applies to many competitors starting out and working through Novice, Restricted and All Age.

I get trophy trophies for one day and utility ones the second. My utility ones are often bought in the mid year sales eg glassware but I also buy doggy items, Robert Gordon pottery with game birds on and other items relative to the sport. I find wine equally acceptable too!

I dont think it detracts at all by providing trophies, in fact the opposite. I dont feel entry fees should have to rise any higher to facilitate the purchase of them either. All other Australian States have even lower enrty fees than NSW and yet they provide trophies.

Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Return to General