Starting with an older dog

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Starting with an older dog

Postby Kirsty Blair » Wed 10 Dec 2003 5:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice....

I have the opportunity to take on a 4 year old goldy bitch who has excellent retrieve drive. She hasn't had any previous retrieving training (only show and obedience). Do you think it would be worth the effort or is it too late in her life to start a new sport.

Many thanks in advance
Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Wed 10 Dec 2003 8:05 pm

Many moons ago there was a South Australian that had a couple of Goldens.
I believe he started them off a bit later than most.
I am ready to be corrected on this.
His name is John Kersley. He had a dog and a bitch, the dog was called Arron and someone with a better memory then I could name the bitch.
He had a lot of fun with them, Arron was a real character and I loved to watch him trial. I think the bitch finished a national when she was full of cancer. They both could work and were a credit to him.

I know the sport has moved along but if the bitch wants to please there is no reason why you both shouldn't have a lot of fun.
Just start at the start and don't be in to much of a rush.

Wayne P.
Wayne Parkinson

Postby Kate Eltringham » Wed 10 Dec 2003 8:23 pm

Hi Kirsty,

Pax, my flatcoat, didn't start her retrieving career until she was nearly 5 1/2 years old. We had to retire her this year because of the injury to her eye but she managed to obtain her NRD title and competed and completed in Restricted.

As Wayne said, start at the beginning and go from there.

Cheers

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Brian Kennedy » Thu 11 Dec 2003 7:30 am

Hi Kirsty, it will be well worth your effort.
I have a few Goldens myself and found that they started to perform after the age of 4 years. It sounds like you have confidence in the dog so you should have plenty of fun and hopefully success.

Cheers Brian Kennedy
Brian Kennedy

Postby Prue Winkfield » Thu 11 Dec 2003 7:42 am

Kirsty - my first retrieving dog did not start until he was 5 - qualified for AA and never failed to retrieve all the birds - as Wayne said, times have moved on but there is no reason not to give it a go provided the dog likes water, etc. Good luck! Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Kirsty Blair » Thu 11 Dec 2003 7:58 am

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your help. Its full steam ahead - I'm picking her up on Monday. Fingers crossed! :wink:

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

starting later

Postby Annie Warner » Tue 16 Dec 2003 10:23 am

Hi Kirsty,

I think you will have fun and learn a lot together with your older golden girl.
My first Retrieving dog was a golden who didn't see water deep enough to swim in until he was older (I was living in northern SA at time!) My Lab. Crash came to me from Jill and Wayne's (Kadnook) as a 3 year old and he worked wonderfully well, although I think Wayne did a bit with him early on before discovering what a big softie he was (Crash, not Wayne!)
...John Kersley's along with Christine Kersley actually put 3 or 4 Goldens through for RT Titles...Aaron, the great 'conversationalist', Bridget, the other bitch who's name I cannot recall, and then another dog Jed... I think it was Aaron who was placed in the National - the year that Bob Tawton won with Homer in SA, at Meningie.

Annie Warner
Annie Warner

Update

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 16 Dec 2003 11:56 am

Hi,

I picked up "Riley" yesterday and will give her time to settle in before starting with any training. She has lived with the breeder for the entirety of her life so its a big change for her!

Thank you all again for your positive replies to my initial query.

Hope to see some of you at the Vic Easter Trials :D

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Return to General