Posting Photos (and showing off my new pup)

For discussion on anything retrieving related - trialing, training equipment, news, etc.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Posting Photos (and showing off my new pup)

Postby Jason Ferris » Mon 29 Dec 2003 2:19 pm

Hi all

A couple of people have asked me about posting images on this site.

I have worked out an easy way to do it (with Julie's help). If you join http://www.hunt101.com and post images there, hunt101.com automatically provides you with the code to copy and paste into a message on this site to post the image.

To prove it can be done, here are some pictures of my new pup retrieving a pigeon at 9 weeks!

Cheers, Jason.

Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Kirsty Blair » Mon 29 Dec 2003 10:22 pm

Hi Jason,

Fantastic pics of Finn! Looks like she's going to be alot of fun for you :D

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 30 Dec 2003 11:38 pm

Okay, had to give it a go myself....

This is my Nelson.

Image[/url]
Kirsty Blair

Re: Posting Photos (and showing off my new pup)

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Mon 09 Feb 2004 8:04 pm

Jason Ferris wrote:To prove it can be done, here are some pictures of my new pup retrieving a pigeon at 9 weeks!

Now you have me a little concerned. Note from my earlier post that I am making a comeback after some 15 years' absence from trialling. Back in those days it the perceived wisedom was that one did not let a dog loose on birds (that is, do any serious retrieving work) until the pup had matured a little; say 10 to 12 months of age.

I of course still only have my old texts which continue to advise caution in over-stretching young dogs. Is it now the perceived wisedom that Labradors as young as nine weeks can retrieve pigeons or was this a "set up" for the sake of the photgraphs?

What do others consider a "wise" time scale before trhowing real pigeons at a young retriever?

Julian
Julian Bielewicz

Postby Brian McMillan » Mon 09 Feb 2004 10:52 pm

What do others consider a "wise" time scale before trhowing real pigeons at a young retriever?

I don't know if there is a rule of thumb, but I would say the earlier the better. I did not start my dog on birds till he was 7 months and I had a job getting him interested in picking them up. I have seen puppies as young as 12 weeks retrieveing ducks, so retrieving a pigeon at that age should not be a problem.

Brian
Brian McMillan

Pups and Birds

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 10 Feb 2004 9:07 am

Hi Julian

There was nothing "set up" about it and Julie can attest to it. This was in fact the first time this pup had retrieved a pigeon outdoors.

I think it is OK to give pups birds to retrieve early on, as long as you are careful not to let them play with them - if they do show signs of wanting to play, its best to wait until they have been through the appropriate training (e.g. force fetch).

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Julie Cramond » Tue 10 Feb 2004 9:38 am

Hi Julian,

My training has certainly changed from when I started trialling 9 years ago.

This particular litter of pups were exposed to retrieving in the hallway at a very young age.

Probably from about 6 weeks they had 4 to 6 hallways throws with a small paint roller. They were encouraged to return to me with food. If they dropped the roller that was fine as long as they threw themselves into my lap. After a couple of days they were bringing back the roller every time. Food was used still intermittently. I did not take the paint roller off them straight away, but made a huge fuss over them.

When I used to train, when I think back to it, I used to test. Nowadays so much retrieving in done at a football oval, instead of cover and hiding throwers.

Up until 6 months I kept everything a game, but still taught heel and COME.

Nowadays I would use a short check cord on puppies and not require steadiness with puppy throws. You want to keep that overall manic desire. Steadiness is the least of our overall problems. By using a longer cord you can pull the pup gently back to you to also encourage basic obedience (EVERY TIME!!!!) even with a bird and instill good habits.

Times change and so has my training and standards (I hope).
Julie Cramond

Postby Gareth Tawton » Tue 10 Feb 2004 2:01 pm

Julian,

Times and training methods have probably changed more in the past 5 to 10 years than ever before. I have my 8 week old pup swimming, sarting to sit and come for food and doing a little fun retrieving. Everything is all about fun. As far as initial retrieving I would also follow the Julie/ jason attitude. Retrieving should be all fun!!! I have thrown a pigeon into the mix as well just for the experiance. Like Jason I certainly don't allow them to be played with.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 10 Feb 2004 3:26 pm

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the site! I think I may have spoken to you before through the Yahoo Goldy mailing list. I really hope you can make it to Benalla - its a fantastic weekend (not that I just want to ask you 6000 questions about NZ goldies or anything :wink: )

Kirsty
Last edited by Kirsty Blair on Tue 10 Feb 2004 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirsty Blair

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Tue 10 Feb 2004 3:56 pm

Nice pics Kirsty! Nelson's one handsome boy.

Now if I can just work out how to get some of my better canine snaps on here....

Julian, I'm betting you must have Polish origins. Correct me if I'm wrong. Welcome to AWRC.

Teresap - whose maiden name was NOWAKOWSKI (try saying that when you've had a couple of drinks... :lol: :lol: :lol:) I still remember the day Jack Montasell was reading out placegetters at a trial before Wayne and I were married. When he came to first place, he said "And in first place is Teresa....Teresa....Oh, we all know Teresa! We were in stitches. Ah, the delights of having ethnic origins.
Teresa Parkinson

Return to General