GWT rules

For discussion about Retriever Ability Tests (formerly Gundog Working Tests), schedules and results.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

GWT rules

Postby Robert Tawton » Mon 08 Feb 2010 2:30 pm

Hi All,

Gundog Working Tests.
At the October 2009 ANKC Conference it was agreed that the NRAFT should develop a standard set of Rules for the Conduct of Gundog Working Tests.
The following is an overview of the current status;
Dogs NT has conducted 5 events in recent times using a local set of Rules based largely on CCCQ Rules for “Gundog Obedience Working Tests” with additional descriptive material added from Rules used by other States.

CCCQ has in place a set of Rules for the conduct of Gundog Obedience Working Tests and a copy may be found on the CCCQ Website under the “Judges” tab.

Dogs NSW has recently updated its Rules for GWTs and the updated Rules will become effective for 2010.

Dogs ACT do not have a set of Rules per se, but in recent times the ACT Gundog Society has conducted events using the Dogs NSW Rules effective 2009.

Dogs VIC has a set of Rules, but reports that in recent times there has been little or no interest in this form of competition.

The Tasmanian Canine Association has a set of Rules.

Dogs SA has a set of Rules that I understand to be largely based on the Rules developed by Dogs VIC.

Dogs West do not have a set of Rules per se. Last year the Labrador Retriever Club did conduct a GWT as a “novelty event” using Rules developed by Dogs NSW.

I have obtained an electronic copy of each set of Rules, but due to formatting and other issues cannot post them directly on the AWRC Website. Jason has accepted the challenge and will provide the necessary links within the next day or so.

The NRAFT has established a “Working Party” with the aim of developing a “draft set of ANKC Rules for the Conduct of Gundog Working Tests”. Once developed, the “draft set of ANKC Rules” will be forwarded to all NRAFT Delegates who will be responsible for their distribution/consideration by local State RAFTs and/or other interested parties.

One of the aims of this exercise is for the NRAFT to be in a position to formally consider the “draft set of Rules” developed by the “Working Party”, together with any proposed amendments put forward by State RAFTs, at the June 2010 NRAFT Conference. If this milestone can be met then, subject to ratification by the ANKC at its October 2010 Conference, the ANKC Rules for the Conduct of Gundog working Tests will become effective 1 Jan 2011. Proposals for changes and/or amendments to the “Working Party” document must be submitted in the format – old Rule, new Rule, together with Rationale for the Change.

Should readers require any additional information it is recommended that you contact your local RAFT and/or Delegate to the NRAFT.

Kindest regards, Robert T
Robert Tawton

Re: GWT rules

Postby Lynette Lennell » Tue 09 Feb 2010 6:25 pm

Hi Robert

Thank you for posting this information on the AWRC.
Do you know if these Rules will allow Associate Registered Gundogs to Compete in the GWT.

As an owner of a Registered and an Associate registered Labrador and having already successfully competed in 2 GWT's in South Australia I would be interested to see if the rules will allow for these dogs to compete.

The way I see it, if we can get somebody interested in the sport of Retrieving thru a GWT, then perhaps they will get a Registered Gundog next time and start competing in Retrieving Trials...Hence the increased interest in the sport.

Regards
Lynette
Who needs kids when you can have 2 Black Labs
Lynette Lennell

Postby Robert Tawton » Sun 14 Feb 2010 2:21 pm

Hi Lynette,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question regarding the future for Associate Registered Gundogs competing in GWTs.

As Chair of the NRAFT I am not in a position to foreshadow what recommendations the “draft set of Rules” prepared by the “Working Party” may or may not contain, nor would it be appropriate for me to foreshadow what changes might flow from the public comment phase, or what position the various States may take when the proposed Rules are formally considered by the NRAFT.

A review of the existing State Rules will provide you with an insight into “local” thinking at the time they were prepared. Recent heavy rains in the Canberra area have adversely affected on Jason’s telephone service, as a consequence posting the various State Rules on the website has been temporarily been delayed. Hopefully the situation will improve in the next few days. However, if you would like a copy of the various State Rules please send me a private e-mail – rtawton@grapevine.com.au.

Kindest regards,
Robert T
Robert Tawton

Postby Jason Ferris » Thu 04 Mar 2010 5:42 pm

Here are the documents Bob referred to:

NSW 2009 Version
NSW 2010 Version
NT
Qld
SA
Tas
Vic

On behalf Telstra, and their incompetent service to rural and regional Australia, I apologise for the delay.

Regards, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Lara Sedgmen » Fri 05 Mar 2010 12:09 pm

Great job Jason. I can't get the SA file to open though??
Lara Sedgmen

Postby Jason Ferris » Fri 05 Mar 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks Lara - I forgot to include warning that the SA file is HUGE (3+Mb) so be patient. It will load - eventually.

I don't have the original that the SA file was scanned from so can only do so much to reduce the size of the file.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Lara Sedgmen » Fri 05 Mar 2010 8:42 pm

Jason, it crashed my adobe pdf reader, even when I downloaded it seperately. And on my friends PC too :) I ended up accessing SA rules through the SA Weimaraner club site http://content.breederoo.com/users/weim ... y%2003.pdf
Lara Sedgmen

Postby Jason Ferris » Sat 06 Mar 2010 9:42 am

Thanks Lara. That is a much better version (31kb instead of 3050kb scanned version). I have copied the Wei club version across onto AWRC, and updated the link above.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Robert Tawton » Wed 17 Mar 2010 7:28 am

Good morning All,

I am delighted to report that the Working Party, which was established to develop a draft set of uniform Rules for the Conduct of Gundog Working Tests, has completed its task. The draft document has been forwarded to all NRAFT Delegates and the ANKC has also been asked to forward copies to all Member Bodies. NRAFT Delegates and Member Bodies will be responsible for the distribution of the “draft Rules” to interested parties within their jurisdiction for subsequent review and comment. All suggested changes must be submitted in the format of Existing Rule/New Rule/ Rationale for the Change. Member Bodies will be responsible for forwarding change proposals that have local support, to the ANKC Office by COB 17 May 2010.

Proposals received by the due date will form the basis for discussion and resolution at the June 2010 NRAFT Conference. The draft set of Rules will then be submitted to the ANKC for ratification at the October 2010 ANKC Conference in order that they may become effective 1 Jan 2011.

I believe it is prudent that readers are provided with an insight into the objectives and issues the Working Party has taken into consideration;

It is intended that Gundog Working Tests should be a qualification based form of competition, as opposed to adopting a first past the post approach.

Gundog Working Tests are seen as a vehicle for assisting and/or encouraging newcomers to transition to the wonderful and challenging world of Retrieving Trials.

Changes to both Novice and Open exercises have been introduced with the objective of placing an increased emphasis on retrieving as opposed to obedience based exercises. Exercises in Novice and Open events have been amended with the aim of providing a more logical progression in the demands required of both the dog and handler.

The draft Rules provide for a uniform approach that will enable viable competitions to be held nationwide despite the significant variations and restrictions imposed by State Gun Laws and venue locations, where events are currently held or are likely to be held in the future.

The definition of “game” has been expanded to include both birds (pigeons) and dummies and issues relating to their construction and uniformity have also been addressed.

The public review process is aimed at identifying any extant shortcomings and/or suggestions on how the draft Rules might be improved. In putting forward any suggestions, it is important that consideration is given to the impact of the suggested change for competitors in all States. Perhaps an even more important consideration is whether or not any suggested change has the potential to increase rather than decrease the overall level of participation in Gundog Working Tests.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Members of the Working Party for their efforts and Jeff Griffith in particular for his considerable input and the provision of background material and Sharon for her assistance with formatting issues.

Kindest regards, Robert T
Robert Tawton

Return to Retrieving Ability Tests