dummies

For discussion about Retriever Ability Tests (formerly Gundog Working Tests), schedules and results.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

dummies

Postby Roz Buckley » Tue 23 Feb 2010 2:29 pm

Hi, Could someone please advise on what dummies are normally used in a GWT. I have read a NSW write up that says that they must be canvas covered. The test I will be entering in SA has on the schedule that the type of dummies used will be at the judges discretion. I have the plastic nobbly type. Will they be suitable. Or who do I go to for advice.
Thanks
Roz
Roz Buckley

Re: dummies

Postby Lynette Lennell » Tue 23 Feb 2010 4:07 pm

Hi Roz

I have completed 2 GWT's in Adelaide and on both occasions used the Plastic Nobbly Training Dummies.
I have seen others use the Canvas Dummies and also Dokkien Ducks.

What competition are you coming over for?

Good Luck
Regards
Lyn
Who needs kids when you can have 2 Black Labs
Lynette Lennell

Postby Tony Rowland » Tue 23 Feb 2010 6:34 pm

roz

I have just read the rule and like you it is very hazzy. Any gwts i have been to have been on canvas dummies or birds.
I would get hold of john lawton and he should be able to get a canvas dummy to you as insurance.
If you have trouble colleen and I will be there (wei national) with some spares of every kind :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:.

tony
working with the grey ghost, can be like catching fly with chop stick''
Tony Rowland

Postby Roz Buckley » Tue 23 Feb 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks Lyn, Tony and Colleen. Lyn, I will be over for the Weimaraner National - Show, Obedience, GWT and ET. Tony and Colleen, I will catch up with you for sure. What is inside the Canvas dummies. I have a couple of dummies that were given to me years ago that were made from fire hose, but not sure what is inside and they feel quite heavy. I will try and chase up one from John as well.

Again, many thanks
Roz
Roz Buckley

Postby Colleen Davis » Wed 24 Feb 2010 7:41 am

Hi Roz
The canvas dummies I have seen used in GWTs are stuffed with a variety of things. We have some which are fire hose stuffed with tennis balls which are pretty commonly used in NSW as well as some which are stuffed with sections of "pool noodle" and I have seen some stuffed with cork. I have also seen the use of the canvas dummies with either wings or rabbit hide strapped to them. If the dummies are too white I have been told to go and rub them in some dirt. If the judges in SA will allow the use of plastic dummies then anything is probably acceptable.
Rgds
Colleen
Colleen Davis

Postby Lynette Lennell » Wed 24 Feb 2010 1:33 pm

I have checked the schedule for the Wei National GWT and from past experience, the nominated judge and reserve will accept the Plastic Dummies.
Lynette Lennell

Postby Tony Rowland » Wed 24 Feb 2010 7:21 pm

lynette

do you know about the rule that steve and jo quoted on other thread and dose this applie in sa.

tony
Tony Rowland

Postby Lynette Lennell » Wed 24 Feb 2010 8:58 pm

Hi Tony

Please find a link below to the Wei Club of SA Website, where you can find a copy of the current rules.

http://www.weiclubsa.com/2010national.cfm

I noted it does not mention if a dog has competed in a Ret Trial what class it is eligible for.
I would suggest you contact the organisers or GWT Trial Manager to clarify this issue.

Sorry I can't help any further.

Regards
Lyn
Lynette Lennell

Postby Tony Rowland » Thu 25 Feb 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks lynette

The owner have all ready been done that road, was just trying to find out if there where any other rules than the ones provide.
Hopefully the rule review well bring all states into line to stop any future across state borders confusion.

tony
Tony Rowland

Postby Roz Buckley » Mon 01 Mar 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks again Lynn, and Colleen for your assistance. Will now make up some of the ones described.
Rpz
Roz Buckley

Return to Retrieving Ability Tests