RATG Demonstration and Practice Day

For discussion about Retriever Ability Tests (formerly Gundog Working Tests), schedules and results.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

RATG Demonstration and Practice Day

Postby Roz Buckley » Mon 21 Mar 2011 3:29 pm

We were hoping to attract a few interested people to this new event and were completely stunned by the large turn up of dogs, owners and spectators who came along. Nearly all of the gundog breeds were present. We had a lovely area for our use and set up in front of the dam for the obedience exercises and down the side of the dam for the retrieving. Copies of the rules, practice dummies and dummies available for sale were available in our gazebo. We introduced our helpers for the day and a talk was given explaining the events exercises and how we would hope people would become interested in continuing further with retrieving trials. Everyone watched a demonstration of the novice exercises and this was followed by people breaking into groups and having a go. Many were surprised at how much their dogs enjoyed retrieving. A second session was held after a short lunch break and we had more interested people come along, others coming back from the morning for another go. A very keen interest was shown by many asking when the trials will be starting. Some clubs are getting them underway already and others are in the organizing stages.

Dogs on the day were Golden Retrievers, Weimaraners and Wei Longhairs, Labradors,English Springers, Cockers, Welsh Springers,Nova Scotia's, Chesapeakes,FlatCoats,GSP's Vizsla,s Munsterlanders and Pointers.

Many people were asking where to get retrieving training. This area is where we need the most help. There was a book on the table and we had people write down their areas so we could find them some one close to assist. Do you have a training group or can anyone help in the following locations. - Hawthorn East, Richmond, Burwood East, Craigeburn,Knox,Mickelham,Baxter,BlackRock,Healsevile,Humevale,Plenty,Hampton,Bittern,Garfield,Arthurs Seat, Ballarat (thanks Prue, I will pass on your number),Cranbourne,Geelong,Hawthorn and Montmorency. (I am not familiar with the Melbourne area so some of these may be close togther) If you can spare some time we do need to keep these people interested. Future trialers will come from here.

The team for the day was Dodo, Dean, Kevin, Norma and Roz. Photo's were taken and when they are received will put up for you to see.
Roz Buckley

Re: RATG Demonstration and Practice Day

Postby Kate Eltringham » Mon 21 Mar 2011 4:10 pm

Congrats to all who organised and helped on the day. Lets hope that we can garner the interest shown by everyone and help them with their retrieving future.

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Diane McCann » Mon 21 Mar 2011 6:51 pm

Well done Roz, great effort.

I live in Pearcedale, which is close to Baxter and Cranbourne. I don't mind you passing on my details but for the next 4 months I will be flat out with field work and will not have any spare weekends (really), however I am happy to give them some information over the phone and hopefully set up some training days for later in the year
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Roz Buckley » Mon 21 Mar 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks Dianne, You are on my list
Roz
Roz Buckley

Postby Jeff Griffiths » Tue 05 Apr 2011 12:41 am

Well done on this huge success on the RATG Demo and practice day.
When will the first RATG be held in Victoria? Also where (if known), and which clubs will conduct them?

Cheers
Jeff
Jeff Griffiths

Postby Roz Buckley » Tue 05 Apr 2011 11:01 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I really hope that this will become an interesting event for many.

There is a Labrador Restricted to Breed Obedience Trial and Champ Show scheduled for the 15th May at KCC Park Cranbourne. They are also hoping to hold a RATG there. Their website still shows that they are waiting confirmation of this. I have emailed them to let me know. This will only be for labradors.

The English Springer Spaniel club have a confirmed date of 28th May. This will be held at KCC Park. Open to all gundogs and will be a Novice test only.

The Geelong Obedience Dog Club have also a confirmed date of 9th July. This will also only be a Novice test. will be held in conjuntion with their obedience trial.

Gippsland Obedience Dog Club (Morwell) will hopefully be hosting one in August at their grounds and surrounds. I will be sourcing a date and finding a judge who will be available and will then schedule.

If I hear of any more I will advise through this site.

Thanks for your enquiry.
Will we be seeing you at any.
Roz

Roz
Roz Buckley

Postby Jeff Griffiths » Tue 05 Apr 2011 11:36 pm

Hi Roz
This is a fantastic 'kick off' for RATG in Victoria. Well done.
I'm in NSW. We've held two RATG in March with good entries.
The next one is on 17 April at Northern Suburbs DTC. Then Golden Retriever Club (Show/obedience and RATG) on 1 May (Goldens only), Labrador Retriever Club (Show/Obedience/RATG) on 8 May,then Macarthur DTC on 25 June.

Entries are on the increase.

It would be good if other states post information on how their RATG are going and when trials are coming up.

Regards
Jeff
Jeff Griffiths

Postby Joe Law » Wed 06 Apr 2011 9:29 am

Jeff Griffiths wrote:Then Golden Retriever Club (Show/obedience and RATG) on 1 May (Goldens only)
My question to anyone who might be in a position to know is "Do qualifications gained at RATG trials that are not open to all gundogs count towards the new titles?"
Joe Law

Postby Roz Buckley » Wed 06 Apr 2011 2:37 pm

Hi Joe,
I cannot see that these passes would be any different to other activities. There are many rest. to group and rest. to breed obedience, tracking, agility,games,shows etc and all of these passes to titles are valid.

Also the Lab (rest. to breed) RATG is definate. Just waiting for a schedule.

Roz
Roz Buckley

Postby Roz Buckley » Wed 06 Apr 2011 2:42 pm

Hi Jeff,

I also hope that this event takes off. Have you found any more interest shown from people wanting to go further with the retrieving. I have been keeping an eye on the Weimaraner that has gained 2 passes so far. Fingers crossed for her. The next test is in Canberra next weekend. Hope all goes well for them as well.

Roz
Roz Buckley

Postby Joe Law » Wed 06 Apr 2011 4:49 pm

Roz Buckley wrote:Hi Joe,
I cannot see that these passes would be any different to other activities. There are many rest. to group and rest. to breed obedience, tracking, agility,games,shows etc and all of these passes to titles are valid.
. However Roz, the rules for Retrieving Trials would appear to say the opposite so my next question would be: "Where are we taking our lead from?"
Joe Law

Postby Lara Sedgmen » Wed 06 Apr 2011 5:11 pm

Joe Law wrote:
. However Roz, the rules for Retrieving Trials would appear to say the opposite so my next question would be: "Where are we taking our lead from?"

I would suggest that because the RATG is a qualifying system like obedience, agility etc. and not a win system like Retrieving, that it doesn't matter if the trials are restricted to certain breeds.
Lara Sedgmen

Postby Lara Sedgmen » Wed 06 Apr 2011 5:20 pm

Jeff Griffiths wrote:It would be good if other states post information on how their RATG are going and when trials are coming up.

Regards
Jeff

Jeff, should I do a RATG trial index like is done on the Retrieving Trials Schedules & Results page? Perhaps you can give us the NSW dates?

We have a good entry for our test this weekend, including some new people that haven't done the former GWT's.
Lara Sedgmen

Postby Roz Buckley » Wed 06 Apr 2011 9:33 pm

Hi Lara, This would be great as we can then direct people where to find info.
Roz
Roz Buckley

Postby Jeff Griffiths » Thu 07 Apr 2011 3:15 pm

Lara Sedgmen wrote:
Joe Law wrote:

I would suggest that because the RATG is a qualifying system like obedience, agility etc. and not a win system like Retrieving, that it doesn't matter if the trials are restricted to certain breeds.

Hi All
Yes you are correct Lara. As RATG is a pass/qualifying system the dogs has to reach a set benchmark i.e. pass or fail. In Retrieving Trials (RT) the dog must win to get a title, but does not have to achieve a minimum score. Therefore RT have rules about breed restrictions (rules 47,98,100) and minimum number of exhibits (rule 48) that are not included in the RATG rules. Whilst RATG is based on RT and come under RAFT committees, there are significant diferences between the rulesbooks (and of course many similarities). I'am just glad we have a comprehensive RATG rulebook rather than the 2 pages of 'rules' we had previously in NSW for GWT.

Regards
Jeff
Jeff Griffiths

Next

Return to Retrieving Ability Tests