Weimaraner Club of Vic RATG & Dble Obed Rest.to gundog trial

For discussion about Retriever Ability Tests (formerly Gundog Working Tests), schedules and results.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Weimaraner Club of Vic RATG & Dble Obed Rest.to gundog trial

Postby Roz Buckley » Sun 01 Jan 2012 4:24 pm

Hi all, Keep this date free

On Sunday 15th April 2012 The Weimaraner Club of Victoria will be holding a RATG with their Restricted to Gundog Double Obedience trials. Schedules will be posted soon.

Roz
Roz Buckley

Re: Weimaraner Club of Vic RATG & Dble Obed Rest.to gundog t

Postby Paula Davidson » Thu 15 Mar 2012 9:45 pm

Dear Roz,

I would like to run My Lab in your Weimaraner RAT Test, but am unsure which Class I should enter her in. She has run in only x1 Novice RAT Test before, but has won and been placed in a number of Novice Retrieving trials. Can you direct me as to which Class(es) I am eligible to enter please?

At the previous RAT Test we did run in, we were told that the handler could not even have food on them, even if not offering it to the dog. I can't find any reference to this in the Rules on the website. Can you clarify this point please?

with kind regards,
Paula Davidson
Paula Davidson

Postby Margaret Hall » Fri 16 Mar 2012 9:20 am

Hi Paula,
The rules for RATG are posted on the ANKC website at http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx
As you have only had one Novice RATG pass you can enter the Novice level unless you have gained one of the titles listed below.

Below is the eligibility rule
2.3. To be eligible to compete in a Novice Retrieving Ability Test, a dog must not have received
three passes in Novice Retrieving Ability Tests under at least two Judges or gained any of the
following Titles as defined in the Rules for the Conduct of Retrieving Trials for Gundogs
(effective 1 Jan 2010) – DM, CM, QND, NRD, RRD, AARD, RT CH, Nat RT CH, Grand RT
CH.
2.4. To be eligible to compete in an Open Retrieving Ability Test, a dog must have received three
passes in Novice Retrieving Ability Tests or have gained any of the following Titles as defined
in the Rules for the Conduct of Retrieving Trials for Gundogs (effective 1 Jan 2010) – DM,
CM, QND, NRD, RRD, AARD, RT CH, Nat RT CH, Grand RT CH.

There is no reference to food reward in the rules but a Judge could ask that food reward is not used especially in the actual exercise.
After the exercise is finished the dog is no longer in competition so food reward could be allowed.

As a judge myself I don't like food rewards but some competitors do use it even in Retrieving Trials after the dog has completed the run and no longer in competition.
There is no area on the score sheet for a deduction but it could be something a judge may ask competitors not to do if they felt very strongly about it.
I know it is used a lot in Obedience but I would rather see a dog doing something because they want to do it not because they are going to get some food.
Happy to talk about it further at a trial in the future.

Margaret Hall
Margaret Hall

Postby Roz Buckley » Sat 17 Mar 2012 9:40 am

Hi Paula,
Thanks Marg for your reply to this. I fully agree with what you have said about the food. I don't mind if someone has it on them for a reward but only want to see it used when the exercise is completely finished and they are away from the control points. It would not be fair to any other dog if some is dropped in the working area and the next dog hunts for it. In obedience it is only used in training and no food or any other reward type is to be taken into competition.

Looking forward to receiving an entry from you.

Roz
Roz Buckley

Postby Natasha Sleep » Sat 17 Mar 2012 7:08 pm

I am wanting to enter this as well, I've entered the obedience trial already but have a few questions before entering the RATG

The new rule about not bringing our own dummies, what are the dummies being used? What size? Are we still able to bring our own or is that not allowed now?
I bought the ones covered in fire hose material at a training day after testing my girl on several, there was some styles she couldn't pick up comfortably (she is a midget Toller :lol: )

Will they be swimming? As last time I was at KCC dogs weren't allowed in the water.

Sorry for the questions, I just don't want to enter and potentially set her up for failure because she can't pick up the dummy!
Natasha Sleep

Postby Dodo Kelly » Sun 18 Mar 2012 3:57 pm

The dummy you have purshased, made of fire hose, will be the same as the ones used in a RATG trial.
It was decided to supply dummies for the RATG trials as there was so much variation in size, colour, weight & material of dummies supplied by the handlers.
Doing it this way everyone, & every throw of the dummy, is equal.
re: using food. It is common to use food for obedience (positive training method) but please note that no food, toy or such is allowed in the obedience competition ring.
Any Judge finding a handler carrying food in the pocket etc., would ask the handler to leave the ring.
Look forward to seeing you on the 15th April.
Dodo
Dodo Kelly

Postby Dodo Kelly » Sun 18 Mar 2012 4:02 pm

p.s. Several dogs were injured in the water at KCC Park. The problem seemed to be mainly at the front area of the lake.
It is in the process of being cleaned up now.
No one will know if water is being used in a trial until the Judge shows the competitors the run on the day.
Motto is; be prepared!
Dodo
Dodo Kelly

Postby Natasha Sleep » Sun 18 Mar 2012 9:35 pm

Excellent!!

Thank you so much for the replies!
That's great about the dummies, and the water.

See you all at the trial! I will probably be the only one with a Toller there.....if not I will be with the naked midget Toller :D
Natasha Sleep

Return to Retrieving Ability Tests