Entering RATG at the Gundog Society Show

For discussion about Retriever Ability Tests (formerly Gundog Working Tests), schedules and results.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Entering RATG at the Gundog Society Show

Postby Pauline Gill » Mon 30 Jun 2014 8:46 am

So I am an absolute newbie at RATG (read that as I know nothing about RATG) but my dog retrieves really well - I have read the rules and I will do my best be prepared but I am entering the boy in the Novice RATG in August at the Orchard Hills Gundog Society Show. Hopefully I won't make a complete fool of myself but I am looking forward to seeing how people work their dogs and learning more. So that will be my aim of the weekend. Hubby is coming down too and we would love to meet other trainers and trailers and dogs. We live in Woodstock near Cowra I am aware of meets at Bathurst and Harden occasionally and would love to find out more about them. Looking forward to the August trials. :)
Pauline Gill

Re: Entering RATG at the Gundog Society Show

Postby Peter Butterfield » Mon 30 Jun 2014 3:23 pm

Hi Pauline

There is a Retrieving Trial this Saturday & Sunday in the Hartley area 2.5 hours drive from Woodstock if you would like to come and watch some retrieving. RTs are similar to RATG but run in slightly more challenging natural environments.

Post a reply if you would like location details etc. Warning retrieving can be very addictive.

Regards
Peter Butterfield
Peter Butterfield
Board Admin

Postby Pauline Gill » Mon 30 Jun 2014 3:30 pm

LOL I work in a drug & alcohol rehab so I know all about addiction - some habits are not worth giving up... like chocolate lol Happy to come and check things out hubby is very keen too. Don't know how long we can stay we have puppies but I think all will be fine for few hours :)
Pauline Gill

Postby Pauline Gill » Thu 17 Jul 2014 6:26 pm

Hi Peter
Can I get directions/map to the trial at Hartley this weekend please. My husband and I would love to come and watch we know it will be freezing and snowing but we will be there with bells on. :)
Pauline Gill

Postby Peter Butterfield » Thu 17 Jul 2014 9:12 pm

Hi Pauline

From the Great Western Hwy at Hartley turn onto Jenolan Caves Road. Proceed 3.75kms. The entrance to the trial grounds is on the left. Look for a white fence and gate with the sign "Liddletons". Go through the gate and follow the road in until you reach the Woolsheds. Here's a MAP. Things kick off at 8am. Bring your own snowplough! See you there.

Peter
Peter Butterfield
Board Admin

Postby Sally Haynes » Thu 17 Jul 2014 9:13 pm

Good on you Pauline! I hope you enjoy it. And yes, it's dreadfully addictive lol.

A great way to learn about retrieving is to steward in trials - you see so much more from the dog's perspective. If you have the opportunity ask if you can go out with someone who is working a thrower or placing blinds. Just make sure you are well rugged up and not wearing white. I enjoy this part of trialling nearly as much as I love running my little dog!
Sally Haynes

Postby Pauline Gill » Thu 07 Aug 2014 2:37 pm

Well firstly thankyou to the judges and competitors at the Hartley Trail We were only there for a short time but got to see the elite dogs compete. I would have stayed all day but we had a litter at hoe to get back too and I had to work that night and had only just got off night duty. Its wonderful to watch a dog do what he is bred for. I feel the bug for retrieval :) My boy Kupa was very keen and we have been practicing for the RATG Novice trail next weekend. He gets over excited but I think we have had a bit of a breakthrough this after noon and his stays while throwing the dummy are better - I doubt we will pass but all I can say is we will give it a go and for me I get a chance to see how things should be done. So I am looking forward to next weekend :)
Pauline Gill

Postby Ray Temple » Thu 07 Aug 2014 8:01 pm

Good luck Pauline.

Ray
Ray Temple

Postby Pauline Gill » Fri 08 Aug 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks Ray
Pauline Gill

Return to Retrieving Ability Tests