2005 AWRC Retrieving Dog of the Year results

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

2005 AWRC Retrieving Dog of the Year results

Postby Jason Ferris » Wed 30 Nov 2005 10:15 am

Please find below the result of the Dog of the Year point score.

Thanks very much to Laraine in compling these - it was no easy task, particular as she changed jobs in the latter half of the year and did not have regular access to a computer for several months.

Congratulations to the winner and to all those who placed in the top 10.

Regards, Jason.

1st Grand RT Ch Kaemajae All Black (J Vella) Lab with 171 points
8 AA wins: ACT & NSW Champ win; 4 AA seconds:2nd Qld, SA & Vic Champs: 3rd Tas Champ.

2nd RT Ch Kadnook Tanks Aheap (R&P Tawton) Lab with 160 points
7AA wins; 6 AA seconds; 2nd Tas Champ; 4 AA 3rds; 3rd SA Champ.

3rd Grand RT Ch Kadnook King of Kanbera CM (R&P Tawton) Lab with 148 points
4 AA wins; 1st Tas Champ; 6 AA 2nds; 6 AA 3rds; 3rd Qld Champ.

4th Grand RT Ch Reveirter Jet Kite (K&N Eltringham) Lab with 140 points
7AA wins: WA Champ win: 6 AA seconds; 1 AA 3rd; 3rd ACT Champ.

5th Grand RT Ch Bambillay Brave Heart (S & M Hall) Lab with 125 points
2 AA wins; Win SA Champ; 8 AA 2nds, 3 AA 3rds: 3rd NSW Champ

6th Grand RT Ch Kadnook Pride Ov Cork (G Tawton) Lab with 122 points
2AA wins: Win Qld Champ; 3 AA 2nds; 2nd ACT & WA Champ & National; 5 AA 3rds.

7th RT Ch Altiquin Stern JDX CDX AD (M Hankinson) Lab with 74 points
4 AA wins; 3AA 2nds; 2AA 3rds.

8th Nat RT Ch Beeregan One Tree (M&W Davis) Lab with 68 points
National 1st; 1AA 2nd; 4 AA 3rds; 3rd Vic & WA Champ.

9th RT/FT Ch Applecreek Breakn Hearts (M Fulton) GSP with 66 points
4 AA wins; 2 AA 2nds; 2 AA 3rds.

10th Nat RT Ch Addershot Crackers Triga (R Whitechurch) Lab with 59 points
3 AA wins; 1 AA second; 2 AA 3rds; 3rd National.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

well done

Postby Peter Betteridge » Wed 30 Nov 2005 5:16 pm

what a great finish to the year.A wonderful win by Blackie and a huge effort by Bob to have 2 dogs in the top 3.Congrats to all the top ten placegetters
Peter Betteridge

Postby Joanne Hagan » Thu 01 Dec 2005 6:42 am

Congratulations to Joe & Blackie for a great result over the year! And to everyone who placed in the top 10, especially Bob with 2nd & 3rd place. Special congratulations to Matt with Chilli - it's really lovely to see a GSP up there in the top 10, keeping all those labs honest :D . Keep up the good work Matt!

Looking forward to the competition next year now.

Cheers

Joanne
Joanne Hagan

Postby Alan Donovan » Thu 01 Dec 2005 9:28 am

Hi All

Too late for a recount??!

For the record..............

From the published results Matt Fulton's Rt and FT Ch Applecreek Breakn Hearts (GSP) won 5 All Age stakes (not 4), and had 3 seconds (not 2) and with the 2 thirds had 83 points, which hops him up the table a couple of places.

And I am not volunteering to do the calcs next year (!).

Cheers - Alan
Alan Donovan

Postby Jason Ferris » Thu 01 Dec 2005 4:59 pm

It seems from a couple of emails I have received and from Alan's post above, that the results should be considered "draft pending verification".

Any further corrections can be emailed to me - preferably with the dates of the trials included.

Thanks, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Gareth Tawton » Thu 01 Dec 2005 7:06 pm

Congats to everyone in the top ten no matter what the final order. Looking at the list of names we seem to have blown the pro trainer thing out of the water. Only 1 or 2 handlers in the top ten are in the grey haired and retired set. In fact I am sure most, work, have family committtments and struggle to find training grounds and enough hours in the day. I am sure all those guys and girl!!! have well bred dogs and train smarter not harder. So for me bugger the pro trainer rubbish and garbage about special treatment by judges. Well done for being great dog trainers when you have the time!!!!
Gareth Tawton

Postby Jackie Price » Thu 01 Dec 2005 7:34 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Matt and Chilli, its great to see a utility dog in the top ten, not only a Retrieving Champion, also a Field Trial Champion. Hope to see a few more up there next season.
Jackie Price
Jackie Price

Postby Mark Sewell » Sun 11 Dec 2005 9:19 pm

Many thanks to Laraine for compiling and collating every dog’s results.

I must also congratulate every handler and dog in the top ten. I feel fortunate to have seen many of these great dogs and handlers run. Congratulations to all, particularly to the winners, Mr and Mrs Vella. Blackie is awesome.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Regards

Mark
Mark Sewell

Postby Maureen Cooper » Thu 15 Dec 2005 5:06 pm

Very well done to all those who featured in the top 10 dogs, you should be very proud and like Gareth said, many of you do well to train and yet have other committments. Well done Maggie for representing the ladies, I just wish I had seen more of your dog! Also to Matt, whom I have never seen working his dog, for both Matt and Maggie compete successfully in other arenas with their dogs and have not competed interstate bar the National for Maggie.

Happy Christmas everyone and all the very best for 2006!

Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Postby Prue Winkfield » Fri 16 Dec 2005 9:15 am

Congratulations to the top 10 - especially Matt and Maggie whom I don't think I have met - perhaps you both will come to our Easter Trial? Happy Christmas to everyone. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Kerry Webster » Fri 16 Dec 2005 2:55 pm

I must say congratulations to our sole West Australian in the top ten list, Maggie Hankinson and her imported Lab, Guinness. Out of fifteen All Age trials in W.A., they won four, placed second 3 times and third twice. They also competed in the Nationals completing two runs. I am sure they will be a formidable team at the Nationals in W.A. next year.

Also to Matt and Chilli. Great to see your name up there too Matt. Hope you are thinking seriously of coming over to W.A. next year to compete.

To all the other guys, congratulations on your achievements.

I would be interested to know individually, how many trials the dogs actually competed in over the year, just as a comparison of percentages.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Kerry Webster » Mon 19 Dec 2005 8:22 am

Just a post to my previous comment.

There is an error in Maggie Hankinsons trial score.

Guinness and Maggie had 4 x 2nds, and not the 3 put in her tally.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby Gareth Tawton » Tue 20 Dec 2005 9:20 pm

Hi Kerry,

I agree it would be interesting to see how many trials various dogs entered, completed, placed and won. I'm not up for doing the stats on all that :!: I keep a training diary which has all of Monty's result. In 2005 he ran 16 AA for 2 fails, 4 unplaced finishes 2 wins 4 seconds and 4 3rd places. In championships he entered 3 state champs for 1 win 2 seconds and 2nd in the National. I thought a pretty handy year and I still got wipped in the end of year tally :( I am sure most of the top dogs probably finshed nearly every trial they entered and usually were in the top 3. Certainly of Noel, Dad and Joe Vella always seemed to be up in the places or winning. More training for the rest of us for next year I think.

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Kerry Webster » Wed 21 Dec 2005 12:51 pm

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for putting up Montys results for the season. He certainly has done well and you should very rightly be proud of him.

I too keep a record of my dogs results each season, including judge, site, dogs entered, and type of runs, as well as how my dog performed. I think it is a good idea for handlers to complete this as it is very informative to look back on, to see how the dogs has progressed over the years, and also to determine which type of run might be a problem.

Back to hard training for all of us I think, as another year looms. Don't they come around quickly ? It will be interesting seeing how the young and up and coming dogs go next season, especially as some of the consistent placegetters are starting to get on in years. Should be a good year.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby Jason Ferris » Tue 06 Jun 2006 12:10 pm

This following is posted on behalf of Peter Betteridge (apologies for the delay Peter)

2005 retriever of the year GR Ch Kamajae All Black
Blackie and Joe are and have been a formidible team over the last 7 years.Blackie must rank as one of the great retrievers of all time and his battles in NSW with "King" have dominated trialing on the eastern seaboard. Honours between the two top dogs have been fairly even with "Blackie" having an edge on blindwork and in the water and "King" being the better marker
Blackies blind retrieves are the best I have seen in my 16 years involved in the sport. Quite simply they are awesome particularily in water. He has near perfect peg work and even as a veteran, Blackie is still a stylish retriever
Joe lives in Shalvey in Sydney’s western suburbs with his wife Jane and has just taken possession of a Blackie daughter to train. I'm sure we will see a lot of her in the future. Joe's early training partners included Geoff Cole and John Cauchi and he now trains a lot with Tony Higgins. Joe is a foundation member of the Working Gundog Club of NSW and judged the 2005 national along with Joe Law
Here is Blackie's record
1999 4 wins 2 seconds and 1 third
2000 unfortunately no records were kept for this year
2001 8 wins 4seconds and 1 championship
2002 6 wins 4 seconds 1 third and 1 second in championships
2003 7 wins 2 seconds 1 championship win and 3 championship seconds
2004 3 wins 2 seconds 1 third 2 championship wins and 1 championship second
2005 8 wins 4 seconds 2 championship wins and 3 championship seconds 1 championship 3rd
Blackies lowest number of all age points was his first year in all age (1999 with 24 championship points) and his highest was 2005 with 90 championship points

Last edited by Jason Ferris on Thu 31 Aug 2006 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Next

Return to 2005