Handlers names in results

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Handlers names in results

Postby Maureen Cooper » Thu 12 Aug 2004 1:29 pm

[Moderator's note: This thread originated with a reply to a post with the results of ACT Gundog Society trial, which included the full names of handers. Click here to see the original post. I have split it as the topic has assumed a life of its own! Cheers, Jason.]

Hi Bob

Congratulations on your wording of the placings at your trial. So many ladies win and place at trials and yet when results are posted we just see an intial and surname and no idea whether male or female. I do not know all the interstate competitors and it really was a pleasure to see you name them. I always make a point of putting Mrs or Ms in front of the name when I do results but so many do not. Are the men trying to say it is an all male sport and women dont win often or is it just ignorance?!

TTFN
Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Postby Jason Ferris » Thu 12 Aug 2004 1:46 pm

Well said Maureen. When I was first coming into the sport I found it frustrating that catalogues only listed surnames and initials when I was trying to get to know who is who. The results issue is the same. It seems a long standing but unnecessary tradition rather than sexism. I think it is great to see first names.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Kerry Webster » Thu 12 Aug 2004 7:22 pm

Hi Maureen,

I agree with you about putting the full names of owners/handlers on the results.

You will note that in the W.A. results I have always put the full name of the handler, plus, the call name of the dog, which often is quite different and unconnected to the registered name.

I think by doing this, we all will gradually get to know who the people are that are competing in trials, and the names of dogs, whether it be call names or registered names.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Call Names

Postby Robert Tawton » Fri 13 Aug 2004 2:27 pm

Hi Kerry,

Would it not be simpler for everyone if owners/handlers used call names that were in tune with the dog's registered name? :lol:

Kindest regards, RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Prue Winkfield » Fri 13 Aug 2004 3:55 pm

How about Boot (my pup) for One Wellington :lol: We could have a lot of fun with this
Prue Winkfield

Postby Joanne Hagan » Fri 13 Aug 2004 10:54 pm

Ah Bob, you are a funny fellow! I'd have to rename Jake to 'Devil' to be inline with his registered name - kind of apt really for this dog at times :)

Jo
Joanne Hagan

Postby Maureen Cooper » Mon 16 Aug 2004 3:49 pm

Probably should have put this discussion as a separate thread to get feed back but have also noticed that show, obedience as well as retrieving trial catalogues only have an initial yet the entry forms we have to fill in do request Mr, Mrs or Ms and feel it should be as stated on the entry form.

Your comment re the call name relating to the kennel name can pose a problem for breeders, Bob. Many breeders have a theme or letter of the alphabet which is the name by which that litter is known and if everyone wanted their pet name on the pedigree it becomes a hotch potch. Why do some of us want a theme etc? With only a three generation pedigree now being issued, we may want to get back to (or avoid!) certain dogs and knowing that the breeder of a prefix has used a theme etc means we can trace dogs related to and behind the lineage if the dog is on the last line. I found it useful many years ago with the Wishmore and Derbyshire lines.

If I am keeping a pup from a litter I do now try and choose a name that I can use as a call name too, or as near as possible.

Luv to all
Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Postby Leanne O'Sullivan » Tue 17 Aug 2004 1:29 pm

I had a bitch a while back called Boujrae Cahjar. Don't know what you could have called her from that. I called her Hannah.

Leanne
Leanne O'Sullivan

Postby Kirsty Blair » Wed 18 Aug 2004 4:20 pm

Hi Leanne,

I would have called her "Cahri" :D

All my dogs have pet names derived from their registered name. I must admit, though, that the breeder made my life pretty easy with Serrata Nelson! Although, I would never have chosen "Nelson" as a pet name if it weren't already on his papers :roll:

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Litl' Coot

Postby Susie Partridge » Wed 18 Aug 2004 6:06 pm

Last year Nic's (my partner) Vizsla had six pups on a Thursday night, passed a dead pup on the Friday morning and then on the Saturday evening gave birth to a live bitch pup. We were both a bit gobsmacked and Nic said "look at that little coot!". leaving out the expletives....

Her registered name is Fairdenbivy Little Coot, and we named the rest of the litter after native birds (Native hens are also known as Coots down 'ere). She knew her name to be Coot very well before she hopped on a plane and went to a vineyard in NSW. We did explain the kennel name to her new owners, but we don't know what they have called her.

Sometimes dogs might just let us know what they want...

Susie
Susie Partridge

Postby Pam Lyons » Thu 19 Aug 2004 11:17 am

I always enter trials with my 'correct' CC membership which is simply my initials - no Mrs, Ms - just my initials. I have no idea how this came about but it's the way it is.

On the other subject on this thread, my old bitch, Zahleins Scarlet was called Scarlet before I got her (at 6 months old) so I kept that name. My boy was from a 'Beatles' litter and I thought his name was to be Zahleins Twist and Shout so I decided to call him Shaker (as in Shake it, shake it baby, twist and shout!!). When I picked him up I found his name was Zahleins Sgt Pepper so I decided that Shaker would relate to pepper quite OK and he's been Shaker ever since.
Pam Lyons

Postby Maureen Cooper » Thu 19 Aug 2004 11:41 am

Thank you for putting this as a separate thread, Jason. I was just interested in feed back as have just ploughed through a few National catalogues and some have stated christian names and others a title (mr, mrs or miss) and others just an initial. As you say, Jason, when interstate one often has no idea who N Smith is!

Re your comment Pam, I have just checked with my CC card and mine does say I am Mrs M Cooper and also on the show and trial entry forms where it says name of registered owner, there is a bracketed area below with the Mr,Mrs,Ms or Miss available for crossing out which does not apply.

I apologise to any cataloguers for using the word 'ignorance',not quite the word I wanted but was in a hurry! I just feel that with so many ladies entering trials etc then it would be nice to be acknowleged as ladies! The problem can occur when people do not fill in forms correctly. You must be like the boy named 'Sue', Pam! (Sorry, couldn't help that!!!)

Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Postby Pam Lyons » Thu 19 Aug 2004 12:11 pm

You're welcome, Maureen. If it wasn't you, it would be someone else!!! When I filled in my original application for the CC I was pretty green and it didn't occur to me to fill out the 'title' section. I am always referred to by both my Surname and Christian name anyway as you are well aware!!
Pam Lyons

Return to 2003-4