Queensland ladies competing in National

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Queensland ladies competing in National

Postby Jackie Price » Wed 15 Sep 2004 2:00 pm

CONGRATULATIONS, Amy Lodder and her boy Garth, for being the only Queenslander to finish the 2004 National, she was also the only lady and youngest competitor to finish, what a great job she did representing the state, yet no mention of her in Julian's report, come on Julian you are a Queenslander. I would like to mention the other two lady Queenslanders who finally took a fall in the 7th run-- Helen Cattermole with her Flatcoat, and Jackie Price with her Weimaraner, how often do you see these breeds compete in a National and get so far. Not to mention this was the first National we have competed in
Come on Julian support for us Queensland ladies
Jackie
Jackie Price

Re: Queensland ladies competing in National

Postby Julian Bielewicz » Thu 16 Sep 2004 6:05 pm

Come, come, dearest Jackie, surely you yourself present as living proof, a larger than life exemplar, that the fairer sex, particularly the gentle damsels of Queensland, don’t need my services to vaunt their much celebrated glories.

<come on Julian you are a Queenslander>

As to being a Queenslander, that I contest. I remain first and foremost a Pom – albeit of Polish/Italian parentage born in a Welsh army ‘demob’ camp. Not having acquired the parochial baggage often demonstrated by some Australians I do not enter into even cursory banter about “Bananabenders’ versus “Cockroaches” (or pseudo “Mexicans”). Nor am I a Broncos supporter; indeed, I find Rugby League a mite boring.

I tried to keep my report objective, free of petty geographical jealousies. I am not, although my wife assures me I may have bordered on the verge in my younger days, a follower of Nicholas Chauvin. It was a National Retrieving Trial Championship where we sought to find the best handler and dog in AUSTRALIA.

Or, if you prefer, surely I can enjoy a glass of South Australian shiraz with Mozart’s “Violin Sonatas” as background without having to disparage a Victorian cabernet sauvignon while bemoaning Nielsen’s “Sinfonia Espansiva” or feel bound to praise Chopin’s (Polish origin) piano concertos while relishing a glass of Hunter Valley’s best. I love them all –equally!

No, dear Jackie, the more thought I give to your suggestion the more I remain convinced that I would prefer to be an Australian citizen domicile in Queensland rather than a Queenslander who happens to live in Australia.

Julian
Julian Bielewicz

Postby Maureen Cooper » Fri 24 Sep 2004 5:06 pm

I would like to add my congratulations to Amy and Garth, seeing as she and I were vying for the highest scoring Lady Handler trophy in 1997 which I was lucky enough to win.

Ladies in Nationals are not too common and I did stats on their entries since 1989( which I won't bore you with) and they are considerably outnumbered so for any lady to do well is a credit to them. After all, all those men have a woman behind them who does their cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, shopping and often holds down a full time job whereas the ladies have to fit that in as well if they want to handle a dog. And as Peter Halford once said to a young,single man on acquiring a girlfriend, "never mind what she looks like, can she throw birds?"!!! Yes, they have to do that too!

Furthermore, unlike Julian, despite being born a Pom, I chose to leave that country and am now proud to call myself an Australian.. I am home! The only problem with this fair country is folks who emigrate here and who do not leave their allegiances behind!!

TTFN
Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Postby Kerry Webster » Fri 24 Sep 2004 10:05 pm

Four women handlers were actually still in the National at the seventh run (third day), those being Helen Cattermole, Jackie Price, Amy Lodder and myself, with Amy, as we all now know, getting through the trial.

It was no mean feat to get to this point, and I can't remember seeing a female handler, let alone four, get through to the second last run at a national championship, since 1999 when Peg Malcolm placed in W.A.

We are outnumbered around 7 to 1 against the male handlers at Nationals, and the intensity of the competitiveness can be close to intimidating, but heck, this year we showed em we are capable of kicking butt. I'm looking forward to the day the winner is of the female gender; surely it must happen ?

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Prue Winkfield » Tue 28 Sep 2004 2:44 pm

Just back from the UK where I read these results but could not reply - so congratulations to everyone - especially Russell and Sheep and of course the breeder - Julie. However, have to agree with the comments about female handlers and unusual breeds. It is a great opportunity to recognise these sucesses and thereby, hopefully, encourage others - both the ladies and those with unusual breeds to keep going and illustrate that it is possible to do as well as or better than the guys even with a dog that is not a Lab! :lol:
Prue Winkfield

Return to 2003-4