Rescue GSP male available

Advertise dogs, puppies and anything retrieving related for sale, swap or to give away here. Please use the sticky post at the top of this forum to advertise stud dogs. No Commercial or Retail Ads please.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Rescue GSP male available

Postby Joanne Hagan » Sun 09 Sep 2007 9:38 am

I have taken in a male GSP who is in need of a new home.
He is a solid liver, desexed male, aged 2 1/2 years. He is purebred and registered, has excellent breeding - sire is a personal hunting dog & show champion, mother is a Dual Champion.

This dog has many issues BUT his underlying nature is extremely lovely, biddable and friendly.

He is excellent around other dogs, I have been running him with all of mine with no problems. He is keen to retrieve (was retrieving dummies this morning, though has no clue about coming straight back) and was entering water willingly, though don't know how well he swims as the water wasn't deep enough for swimming. Appears to be very keen on birds.

He is ideally suited to a home on a lot of acreage where he can run, where someone is home with him or he will have canine companionship, and he needs a new owner who is extremely dog savvy, with a good understanding of behavioural issues and who does not use harsh training methods as this dog has a history of abuse (he was actually found with his mouth gaffa tape shut).

He is certainly not a shy retiring type and is not soft in nature. With time and the right training, I think that this dog has the potential to be a nice rough shooting dog and companion.

Please note that he is an extremely large GSP, I am yet to see one bigger! And weighs around 50kg (yes, you heard me right!) - could stand to lose almost 10kg in weight, so he has started his dieting :)

I am also currently looking into having him debarked as that is one of his major problems, but with increased exercise the past few days, he has settled down a lot.

If you are looking for a training challenge and a dog with some ability, then this could be the dog for you, though given he has already been through 3 homes in his short life who have almost ruined a good dog, a PERMANENT home, with someone willing and able to work through his problems and who has patience, is what I am after for this dog.

Please email fourjaysgsps@gmail.com or phone 0404 030 183 for further information. Link is for his profile on Dogzonline Rescue page:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/bre ... ?breed=830
Joanne Hagan
FOURJAYS GSPs - for showing, for trialling, for loving!
Canberra, Australia
Joanne Hagan

Re: Rescue GSP male available

Postby Joanne Hagan » Sun 16 Sep 2007 8:24 am

Just an update on this boy:

I have had him in foster care for the week, and he has settled down a lot, especially from having some doggy company around. His barking has not been a problem at all where he is. I took him for a run on their 40 acre property yesterday and I can report that this dog is a natural swimmer, very keen on water. We also saw a fox and rabbit and he was dead keen on them, tracked the rabbit scent quite naturally.

With a little training yesterday, I was able to have him retrieve to hand. He is also starting to twig to what a recall means, though I daresay he has been taught this in the past, so it is a matter of remembering. His manners are improving at a rate of knots and he is highly biddable and quick to learn.

He is also losing weight, though still has around 4-5kg to lose.

Leo is a fabulously natured dog, who in my opinion, clearly has a lot of ability if he were only in the right hands. He is a registered, purebred GSP and his papers will be available to anyone wanting them. He will need someone with a firm hand to fix some of his annoying habits, but also requires someone who will be patient with him. He is excellent with other dogs and loves people.

I now have photos for anyone interested. Please email me privately.

Thanks
Joanne Hagan
FOURJAYS GSPs - for showing, for trialling, for loving!
Canberra, Australia
Joanne Hagan

Return to For Sale