Lagotto Romagnolo - looking for a good working home.

Advertise dogs, puppies and anything retrieving related for sale, swap or to give away here. Please use the sticky post at the top of this forum to advertise stud dogs. No Commercial or Retail Ads please.

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Lagotto Romagnolo - looking for a good working home.

Postby Bill Allen » Thu 21 Jan 2010 8:50 am

Received the following post this morn.
If anyone is interested please let me know & I'll put you in contact with the breeder.
Bill Allen.

>You don't know anyone who has always wanted a Lagotto Romagnolo Italian retrieving dog do you? (you never know, so I thought I'd ask). A boy from pure Italian working dog lines, none of your namby pamby domestic pet lines, which is the problem really.

>He is one of the puppies I raised last year, went to a woman in Victoria who is an animal scientist at Monash University, her aim is to breed the perfect companion dog; really!!! (see her website http://www.hevnlee.com.au/Lagotti.htm )

>She asked for a handsome, friendly and outgoing Lagotto boy, but did not specify placid, which it turns out is all important for her breeding aim. Since he is a live-wire he is now excess to requirements, poor boy. I'd bring him back to NZ in a flash if it wasn't going to cost AU$2000 in freight, :-(

>So I'm looking for a good home for him, if perchance you know of such a thing. He's white and brown like his brothers in the attached pic, one of whom I own and the other is owned by a friend. Lovely lively dogs, with personality plus, but not placid, no.
Attachments
in the courtyard.JPG
in the courtyard.JPG (59.5 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Bill Allen

Re: Lagotto Romagnolo - looking for a good working home.

Postby pwinkfield » Thu 21 Jan 2010 4:13 pm

Lovely pups - thought they were part of the Versatiles or Utility Group of dogs rather than retrievers?
pwinkfield

Postby Bill Allen » Fri 22 Jan 2010 11:00 am

Hi again Prue.

The Lagotto Romagnolo is water retriever that originated from the area around the marshes of nothern Italy. As the swamps in that area slowly diminished (for various reasons) the dog's keen nose was utilised for hunting truffles, hence they are also often also used for hunting game upland, but they are not recognised as a pointing breed. Their primary utilisation on game is as a water retriever, hence the developement of the thick curly coat due to the extreme colds found in the nthrn Italian regions where it hails from, with secondary utilisation as a flushing hunter.
Yeah really nice dogs. Like em myself, although dont have a lot of experience with em (as I would expect would be the case with most of us over here).
Would be very tempted myself if I didn't already have the world's best hunting dogs (the French Epagneul Breton).
DONT SAY IT ;-)

Bill.
Bill Allen

Postby Roz Buckley » Wed 27 Jan 2010 10:39 am

If you find anyone interested and this boy needs transport I am only 1 hour from the owners. I will be happy to transport to the next retrieving trial. I know of one of these little guys near me and he is the biggest spoilt sook with his owner. Such a shame. I looked after him for a few days and he had the best time in the paddocks.
Roz
Roz Buckley

Postby Bill Allen » Mon 01 Feb 2010 1:37 pm

Anyone interested can contact the breeder (Dora Van Dyk) at dora@vandyk.net.nz
Dog is in Vic' & the breeder would rather find a home for him over here rather than the prospect of taking him back to NZ.
Bill.
Bill Allen

Return to For Sale