Labrador Retriever Club NSW - Retrieving Trial 18 & 19 July

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Labrador Retriever Club NSW - Retrieving Trial 18 & 19 July

Postby Peter Butterfield » Mon 25 May 2015 7:41 pm

THE LABRADOR RETRIEVER CLUB OF N.S.W. Inc.
Affiliated with the R.N.S.W.C.C. Inc
RETRIEVING TRIAL 18th & 19th JULY 2015
“LIDDLETONS” HARTLEY

JUDGES:
SATURDAY: 18th JULY 2015 SUNDAY: 19th JULY 2015
NOVICE: MR J. BARBER QLD. MR R. TEMPLE NSW.
RESTRICTED: MR J. BARBER QLD. MR J. GRIFFITHS NSW.
ALL AGE: MR R. COOPER NSW. MR J. BARBER QLD.

NOVICE STAKE: Confined to gundogs that ( to the date of the Trial ) have not won any Stake other than four (4) Novice Stakes or have gained Championship points and/or been awarded an AARD title. Puppy Stake and Beginners Test excluded.
RESTRICTED STAKE: Confined to gundogs that have not won five (5) Restricted Stakes or have gained Championship points and/or been awarded an AARD title.
ALL AGE STAKE: Confined to gundogs that have won a Novice Stake or have been placed first second or third in a Restricted Stake.

Retrieves: Novice Stake: Three runs, single mark retrieves, land and water as selected. Restricted and All Age: Three runs, land and water as selected.
(There will be three (3) runs for each stake unless otherwise stated at the start of the Trial.)

AWARDS ALL STAKES: Trophy and Sash 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place Novice: 4th place Sash.

Entry Fees: Novice: $18.00 Restricted and All Age: $20.00
All entry fees made out to The Labrador Retriever Club of N.S.W. inc.
(Please use Trial entry forms and include a stamped and self addressed envelope with your entry. Directions for the Trial site and Camping will be with your numbers)

Entries Close: 30th JUNE 2015 Draw Date: 6th JULY 2015
Draw will be at the Trial Secretary’s home at 8.00pm.

Trial Secretary: Mr.J. Griffiths 81 Cross Street, Warrimoo, N.S.W. 2774 Telephone; 0418 658766
Trial Manager: TBA
Vetting: 8.00am -8.30am Vetting officer: Mrs. C. Griffiths

R.N.S.W.C.C. Representative: A member of the R.N.S.W.C.C. Field and Retrieving Committee.

IMPORTANT It is a term and condition of any entry to any trial conducted by the Lab. Ret. Club of NSW that a person who enters a dog in a trial or handles a dog at a trial does not return to the property on which the trial has been conducted or visit that property before the trial without permission. Permission can only be given in writing by the person who organised the property for the trial.
Any breach by any person of this term and condition will automatically bar that person from entering any trial conducted by the Lab. Ret. Club or handling a dog at any such trial for 5 years.
By authority of the Labrador Club January 2007

Entry to trial site from Friday 12.00, exit by 10.00am Monday

IF YOU HAVE SENT A SELF ADDRESSED ENVELOPE AND YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR NUMBERS AND MAP THE TUESDAY BEFORE THE TRIAL PLEASE GIVE THE TRIAL SECRETARY A RING TO MAKE SURE YOUR ENTRIES HAVE BEEN RECEIVED
Peter Butterfield
Board Admin

Re: Labrador Retriever Club NSW - Retrieving Trial 18 & 19 J

Postby Lara Preston » Tue 26 May 2015 8:04 am

*PLEASE NOTE: If a judge is judging two stakes on the same day conducted by the Labrador Retriever Club then competitors cannot enter the same dog in both stakes.*

Is this a club rule? I can't seem to find in the rules for retrieving anywhere that says we are not allowed to enter both stakes. Sorry, just a bit confused?? I believe that I'm in the transition phase novice/restricted, and don't understand why we are being told we can't participate, how are we supposed to progress further, we we are told we can't. NSW trials have been struggling for years to get numbers, now all of a sudden the clubs are getting many entries they seem happy to turn entries away. Why can we not enter the same dog in both stakes?
Lara
Lara Preston

Postby Lynne Elliott » Tue 26 May 2015 5:45 pm

Not sure of the 'official" answer but possibly it has to do with the fact that some judges will use a novice run as part of a restricted run. This would give the dog that has already done the novice run a very great advantage when it came to doing the restricted run. If not using the same run should be OK but the club does not know what runs the judge will set until the day before the trial. It would cause too much confusion all round.
Lynne Elliott

Postby PennyAngel » Tue 26 May 2015 9:06 pm

I am surprised that another judge could not be found for either the Novice or Restricted stake on Saturday. We have a lot of judges in NSW who could do either stake. If this option were taken then I can't see why there would be an issue. I note that at the GDS trial last weekend four competitors entered both Novice and Restricted with the same dog. I am not sure if there would have been a restricted stake if this had not been accepted by the GDS. I believe this issue will continue for some time as like Lara, I and others, have dogs which are almost ready for Restricted and as we know what the dogs do at home needs to be tested at a trial and travelling 5+ hours to a trial I would like to make the most of the opportunity. However, in this instance it appears that the Labrador Retriever Club has a policy and I wonder if feedback from their decision may cause them to review their policy, if not for this trial, but certainly for future ones.
He who has health, has hope; and he who has hope, has everything.
- Thomas Carlyle
PennyAngel

Postby Jeff Griffiths » Sat 06 Jun 2015 8:46 pm

Firstly, I'm not a frequent user of this site and just catching up with comments now.
Yes it's a club rule. ANKC/Dogs NSW Rules and Regulations don't cover this situation. Entering the same dog in two stakes being judged by a single judge on a day results in the judge having to reset their runs because of this. Therefore they would have to set a minimun of six runs instead of three. Some judges may be willing to do this but not all. Another influencing factor is the number of dogs entered.

In previous years I haven't known any handlers to enter the same dog in two stakes judged by one judge on the same day even though they are eligible to do so. No doubt it has happened somewhere, but I haven't seen it. Handlers have been considerate to only enter in one stake in this case.

As well as the administration of trials,Trial Secretaries are also dealing with:
* Finding judges
* Late entries
* Very late entries
* No payment with entry
* Handlers telling you what judges THEY want
* Handlers telling you about judges THEY DON'T want
* Judges who are unavailable for a variety of reasons

Judges want to run their dogs too.

This is the first time in 20 years I've heard anyone say there are plenty of RT judges. There are 19 RT judges in NSW. 9 All Age, 4 Restricted & 6 Novice. There are 22 Trials (66 stakes) with judges contracted in NSW this year (although the GDS July Trial has now been cancelled).

Thanks for your advice on how to run a trial and find judges.

It is not my intention to comment further or have a discussion backwards and forwards in this forum.

Jeff Griffiths
Jeff Griffiths

Postby PennyAngel » Tue 09 Jun 2015 5:27 pm

Jeff, I can commiserate with the issues of being a Trial Secretary as I am sure many others across the country face these same concerns at one time or another. It is still a shame that the Lab Club has introduced this policy at this trial. For those who are attending this trial I wish you all the best and hope you and your dogs have a great time. It is a fantastic location and a lovely time of the year.
He who has health, has hope; and he who has hope, has everything.
- Thomas Carlyle
PennyAngel

Postby Lara Preston » Thu 11 Jun 2015 11:48 am

Thanks for responding Jeff. A quick point regarding this discussion, I was advised on the weekend by a very experienced and respected all age judge and handler that no-ones entries can be refused by a club holding an ANKC event. Therefore if someone was to enter 2 stakes their entries must be accepted. I believe I am a very considerate person, but, I participate in retrieving trials to trial my dog. Hopefully next year things will be different and the encouragement will be there once again. Have a great weekend!
Lara Preston

Postby Jeff Griffiths » Sun 14 Jun 2015 7:26 pm

Good News.

Mr Joe Barber , the judge of Novice and Restricted on Saturday 18/7/15 has said he will accommodate all triallers and will judge those that wish to enter a dog in Novice and Restricted on that day. He will set runs accordingly.

Therefore, the Labrador Retriever Club of NSW will accept entries as such.

Of course there is no issue with Sunday 19th as there are separate judges for every stake.

Thank you to Joe.
Jeff Griffiths

Postby Jeff Griffiths » Tue 23 Jun 2015 10:27 pm

Just a reminder that entries close for the Lab Club Trial on 30/6/15.

Also note the previous post and change to the schedule that accommodates all handlers. They can enter any stake and multiple stakes that they are eligible to enter, if they wish.
Jeff Griffiths

Postby Jeff Griffiths » Tue 30 Jun 2015 11:57 pm

A few people have rung today to say they still want to send entries for this trial. That is ok. So we will keep it open a bit longer for those who still want to enter.
Cheers
Jeff
Jeff Griffiths

Return to 2015