Qld State Retrieving Championship Judge's Report

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Qld State Retrieving Championship Judge's Report

Postby Georgina Golle » Fri 06 Sep 2019 8:55 am

2019 QUEENSLAND STATE RETREIVING CHAMPIONSHIP
3rd and 4th AUGUST 2019
Venue: Dayboro

Report by the Judge, Mrs Georgina Golle.

It was a great honour to accept the invitation from the Retrieving and Field Trial Subcommittee on behalf of Dogs Queensland to judge this prestigious Annual Queensland Retrieving Championship.
The event was conducted on a beautiful cattle property in the Dayboro area, kindly nominated by Mrs Laurelle Draper and accepted by the RAFT committee as a suitable venue which lent itself to the testing of Retrieving dogs to the highest level.
The drought in Queensland affected the use of various waterways but a suitable lagoon was available to test the dogs in and through water.
Spectators where possible, were allocated areas to view the work of the dogs and it was good to hear the appreciation from the supporters with clapping and cheering when a dog completed a particular run.

A special thank you to the Property Owners, Trial Manager Greg Mitchell, and Stewards of which there were numerous wonderful individuals who assisted me during the course of this event!

The entry comprised of 25 retrieving dogs, namely 16 Labrador Retrievers, 5 German Shorthaired Pointers, 2 Golden Retrievers, 1 English Springer Spaniel and 1 Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, handlers numbered 14 men and 5 ladies (nice to see some of our top ladies competing).

A course of 5 runs over 2 days, 14 items of game were retrieved, comprising of PIGEONS, QUAIL & RABBIT.

SATURDAY RUN 1 - 25 dogs started
MARK & BLIND
Test of Marking on land, and Lining and Control on the Blind through a dry creek bed.
Highest Scoring Dog: No. 11 Labrador Retriever: TERRANAUT PAWSEY (AI) (J. VELLA) 56 points

RUN 2 - 23 dogs started
TRIPLE RETRIEVE, BLIND, DOUBLE MARK of which the 1st MARK was a WALK-UP
Pick up order – Blind on left, Memory Walk-up (middle bird), Memory Mark on right
Test of Lining and Control on the Blind, Memory on the Marks.
Highest Scoring Dog: No. 11 Labrador Retriever: TERRANAUT PAWSEY (AI) (J. VELLA) 59 points

Special mention with 58 points – Labrador Retriever, RTCH. Willowyse Sir Peregine (R. Eaton-Wells)

SUNDAY RUN 3 - 20 dogs started
MARK, BLIND, TWO BIRD off the Blind
Pick up order – The dog was left at a control point, the handler relocated to the firing point to shoot at the Blind, on the report of the gun a QUAIL was cast from left to right, the dog was send for this retrieve from where it was left. The next retrieve was the BLIND off which a TWO BIRD was cast.
Test of Marking the Quail, Lining and Control on the Blind, Memory of Marking the Two Bird.
Highest Scoring Dog: - No. 5 Labrador Retriever: RTCH. ADDERSLOT YANK BLACK ONYX
(R. BOODNIKOFF) 58 points

RUN 4 - 15 dogs started
MARK, WOUNDED GAME, TWO BIRD off the Mark
Pick up order – Mark (pigeon), Wounded Game (RABBIT), TWO BIRD (QUAIL)
Test of Marking, Tracking the scent of the Wounded Rabbit out of sight of the Handler, Memory Mark on the Two Bird, a Quail
Highest Scoring Dog: - No. 16 Labrador Retriever: RTCH. TIRNANOGE KNIGHT RIDER (M. TYRIE) 59 points

FINAL - RUN 5 - 14 dogs started
MARK with DOUBLE FALL and BLIND
Pick up order – Mark across water onto land, Blind, a very acute angle directly across the water with the Bird located in water near bull rushes, Fall Bird to right, landing in water amongst sparse water lilies.
Test of Marking, Direct Lining and Control of dog through water, Memory and directness to the Fall Bird on right.
Highest Scoring Dog: No. 11 Labrador Retriever: TERRANAUT PAWSEY (AI) (J. VELLA) 58 points

9 Dogs completed the course.
CONGRATULATIONS to the 5 Finalists and in particular to the Winner whose dog being a most worthy winner was awarded a “Diploma of Merit”.

Final Placings:
1st Place No. 11 (282 points) TERRANAUT PAWSEY (AI) - J. Vella N.S.W.
Points per run- 56, 59, 57, 52, 58. Diploma of Merit Awarded (Rule 105)

2nd Place No. 16 (271 points) RTCH. TIRNANOGE KNIGHT RIDER - M, Tyrie QLD
Points per run - 53, 51, 55, 59, 53.
3rd Place No. 23 (262 points) RTCH. WILLOWYSE SIR PEREGRINE - R. Eaton-Wells QLD
Points per run - 48, 58, 52, 55, 49.
4th Place No. 5 (253 points) RTCH. ADDERSLOT YANK BLACK ONYX - R. Boodnikoff QLD
Points per run - 53, 50, 58, 52, 40.
5th Place No. 13 (252 points) RTCH. NATIVERUN ANGUS - R. Ashendon S.A.
Points per run- 50, 49, 53, 46, 54.

Finishers-
No. 3 (249) ELLISHEA RIPS REBEL (AI) Golden Retriever - R. Temple N.S.W.
No. 12 (249) RTCH. GIDGEE DOWN UNDER DELL (Imp UK) Labrador Retriever –R. Eaton-Wells QLD
No. 1 (222) RTCH. JAGACEY FUTURA German Shorthaired Pointer - W, Bonato QLD
No 17 (222) WILLOWYSE KAI RRD ORA Labrador Retriever - Mrs. L. Draper QLD

Judges Encouragement Award:- to Ms. M. Sullivan and ROUGHWATER VICTORIA RRD, Labrador Retriever,
A young dog 16months of age with great drive and desire to retrieve and a pleasure to judge, displaying all the fine attributes of a working gundog.

General Comments: - It was my pleasure to adjudicate excellent marking ability across the 5 runs and also the lining and control on Blinds by the finishers of this Championship, good sportsmanship and camaraderie amongst the competitors and the variety of game was also appreciated by the competitors and spectators alike.

My Retirement from Judging Retrieving Trials: -
I also formally announced my Retirement from Judging Retrieving Trials for Gundogs at the conclusion of this Championship.
I have been actively involved as a competitor in Retrieving Trials over many years, from 1979 to 2019, locally and Interstate.
I commenced judging Retrieving Trials in 1986 and from 1995 to 2019, in total I have judged-
2 National Championships hosted by Queensland.
In total 7 State Retrieving Championships, 4 in Qld. and 1 each in Victoria, A.C.T. and Tasmania.
36 All Age Stakes distributed amongst the States as listed, Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and N.S.W. (not including Novice and Restricted Stakes).

Now the time has come for me to retire from judging, take a deep breath, turn a new page and in my twilight years continue to enjoy my beautiful young gundog.
I have enjoyed the company and competitiveness at Club Trials and Interstate competitions and these outings will be missed.
As the 2019 State Queensland Retrieving Championship was my last Retrieving appointment I wish to thank my soul mate and husband of 54 years, Amand, for coming out of a 6 year retirement to gun steward for me and for his continued support and encouragement to train and compete and participate in Gundog activities over a span of 40 years.
To all those younger people participating in gundog sports the very best for the future.
Thank you one and all.
Georgina Golle
Georgina Golle

Return to 2019