Training schedules

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Fri 13 Feb 2004 6:09 pm

Jason.
I have a copy of Training Retrievers To Handle. It has all the diagrams of walking baseball in it.
Jake C. Gave it to me sometime in the mid eighties.

It's still a great way to reduce pressure on the dog.

At the same time he also gave me a copy of Milners book that has his version of FF in it.

Remind me when we catch up and I'll drag them out for you.

Wayne.
Wayne Parkinson

Re: Training Schedules

Postby Guest » Fri 02 Apr 2004 10:37 am

Robert Tawton wrote:Day 12 - "ABC" drill - single marks where subsequent marks are pinched to the previous fall and/or launch point
Day 22 - cold blinds on land

Hi Bob, long time eh.

Would you be good enough to explain the ABC drill for me please.

I notice that you only use Cold blinds in training (or is that Teaching), when do you use Hot blinds. Are Hot blinds where the dog knows where it is and Cold blinds where the dog does not know where it is.

ABC Marking Drill

Postby Robert Tawton » Fri 30 Apr 2004 3:13 pm

Hi Guest,
Sorry for the delay in responding, but I have been out of town for nearly a month. I know you said its been along time, but forgive me, "who are you?" :)

The ABC drill is all about teaching dogs to hold their line to marks, to improve their depth perception and not to be sucked to old falls. For the purpose of describing the procedure, imagine the face of a clock with you and the dog are located at 6 o’clock. A thrower is located at 9.00 casting from left to right and at a distance of 90 metres. Cast the Bird “A” and complete the single mark retrieve. Now locate a second thrower casting right to left at a distance of 120 metres and with the thrower located on a line 10 - 15 degrees right of the line to where Bird “A” fell. Bird “B” should be cast to land in line with the apex (or mid point) of the Bird “A” cast. Recover Bird “B” as a single mark retrieve. Located a third thrower at a distance of 150 metres and at a point on the line passing through the mid point between where the Bird “A” thrower is/was located and the point where Bird “B” fell. The third thrower is set to cast from left to right with Bird “C” landing on the line passing through the mid point between where Bird “A” and Bird “B” fell.

Re your question about Blinds; Cold Blinds are blinds that are placed with the dog totally out of sight and therefore has no prior knowledge of where the bird is located. Memory Blinds are blinds that are placed with the dog out of sight, but at allocation from where the dog has previously recovered a bird. Memory Blinds are good for encouraging momentum. I am not familiar with the term “Hot Blinds” per se, but I can only assume that these are “blinds” that the dog sees being placed and is sent to recover them after a short time delay. Other than early phases in teaching swim-by and some cheating water blinds and/or channel swims, I rarely use them.

Kindest regards, BFN, RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Brian McMillan » Fri 30 Apr 2004 8:15 pm

Guest;

In the States, at least, a Hot Blind is a term that refers to a blind that is planted prior to the marks being thrown. The dog is sent to retrieve the Mark while the blind that is laying there is said to be 'hot'. A dog failed the last test I was at when it was makilng a hunt for a mark, it got too far from the area of the fall and winded the hot blind and picked up it instead of the mark. Hope this helps. And Bob, are these called something else in Aus, or do you all not run Hot Bliinds?

Brian
Brian McMillan

Hot Blinds

Postby Robert Tawton » Sat 01 May 2004 9:24 am

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for your explanation re the term Hot Blinds. In our Retrieving Trials and in a Run (Series) that involves multiple items of game to be recovered, one or more of which may be a “blind” , the blinds are invariably in place before the competing dog is brought to the Firing Point (Line). At All Age level typical configurations include a pyramid triple where the two outside birds are “blinds” and the long central bird is cast as a mark – the specified order of pick-up (by the Judge) is likely to be the two blinds first then the mark. A pyramid triple wherein the two outside birds are marks and the long central bird is a blind is another option – pick-up the blind first. An indented triple where the two outside birds are blinds and the short central bird is a mark is yet another configuration, as is where the two outside birds are marks and the short central bird is a blind. In all cases the Judge is most likely to specify the most challenging order of pick-up.

BFN, RWT
Robert Tawton

Previous

Return to Training Q&A