Training schedules

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Training schedules

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Wed 14 Jan 2004 3:11 pm

Hi all!

I assume that like me, most of you work for a living and so have to train your dogs within the time constraints imposed on you by your jobs.

For argument's sake, let's assume your dog has finished basic training and is working on the next stage (transition). I'm curious to know how you might set out your training schedule, allowing for different learning rates/attitudes/drive levels etc. of course.

Do you prefer to train for say marking one day, lining the following day then handling the next? Or do you find it more constructive to train consecutive mornings and/or nights without interruption on say a given handling drill till you get it right before moving on to something else. What sort of training schedule works best for you/your dog?

Thanks in advance.

Teresa Parkinson
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Kate Eltringham » Wed 14 Jan 2004 8:16 pm

Hi Teresa,

Having just gone back to work have had to modify the way I'm training Ski. At the moment we're working on lines and directions. To do this I'm training her on alternate days on the two concepts. I'm spending no more than approx 10 - 15 mins on each depending on how she is going. At the moment she is on an acceleration curve in her learning so I'm (in consultation with Noel) pushing the new concepts quite quickly, accepting we're probably going to hit a wall at some stage.

Marking is generally done once a week when Noel and I get together to train.

I've also changed to training in the mornings before it gets too warm, neither the Ski nor I like the heat - just means I don't get so many hours in the land of nod!

Kate
Kate Eltringham

training schedules

Postby Annie Warner » Thu 15 Jan 2004 1:00 pm

Hi Theresa
Hope Kate won't mind me mentioning this, but training on one 'subject' at a time, as it were, and at some ungodly hours in the morning before work was how Crash, Tyke and Tess all got there training when Noel and I trained together too - seems to have worked!!
I never liked mixing up the various facets of training, especially for those short mid week sessions - do one thing, do it good, praise well - go home!
There are a few other good reasons for training in the morning as well as the obvious one of escaping the heat. Both YOU and the dog are fresh, you ie the handler, has not had to put up with all the s#*#t of the working day, therefore in better mood, less likely to crack it if things go wrong!!

annie warner
Annie Warner

Postby Jason Ferris » Thu 15 Jan 2004 1:28 pm

The other advantage of training in the morning is that it gets the dogs used to being loading in a vehicle and taken out to work first thing in the day - which is similar to going to a trial.

On an ideal day I prefer to work on the teaching component of my program in the mornings then use the evenings to do some relaxed training which reinforces concepts already taught.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Kirsty Blair » Thu 15 Jan 2004 3:17 pm

Hope Gareth doesn't mind me using his name in vain here but.....he sent me an excellent training schedule which lists a day to day plan for working more advanced dogs. Perhaps if we asked him nicely he might be able to track down a link to it or post it in the articles section. I found it very helpful.

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Thu 15 Jan 2004 3:22 pm

Kirsty,

That sounds like a great idea! With any luck, Gareth will oblige.

I'm hoping to catch up with both him & Siobhan while they're down this neck of the woods. Last we spoke, they were planning to come by and visit.

Teresap
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Julie Cramond » Fri 16 Jan 2004 2:22 pm

Hi girls,

Seems like on this forum us girls type more than the boys, just like they think us girls talk more.

I think that with my the handling drills nowadays, from time to time I do not concentrate enough on just marking without complicating the issue of incorporating blinds.

As a result of all the blind/handling drills and especially in training alone or in our small groups, I can easily acccidently skip so many steps.

As I have entered the Shepparton trial, next week I will be concentrating on marking set ups. Teaching blah blah blah by having them all as singles then doubles then triples then incorporating known and cold blinds.

LOL. I am praying every night for good marks. Just imagine if I fail with all four who are entered in restricted. I am also praaaaying that it is not tooooo hot.
Julie Cramond

Girls and Boys

Postby Jason Ferris » Fri 16 Jan 2004 2:49 pm

Actually Julie, 12 of the 20 most frequent posters to the bb are boys, though I admit that lately the ladies seem to have been more vocal!

Good luck in the Shep trial!

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Julie Cramond » Fri 16 Jan 2004 2:54 pm

Jason,

LOL LOL LOL.

After I submitted my response, I noticed that you had added a reply.

I laughed and laughed, thinking to myself, Jason will be real angry as he will think he does not count.

You made my day. Thanks. How I love laughing.

Us girls, need to improve our numbers on the forum.
Julie Cramond

Postby Jason Ferris » Fri 16 Jan 2004 3:01 pm

I was tempted to respond with some narky remark about being considered a girl, but decided to rebut you with some statistics instead!

Cheers, Jason.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Julie Cramond » Fri 16 Jan 2004 3:02 pm

Thankyou for your kindness, dear Sir, honoured WEBMASTER.
Julie Cramond

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Fri 16 Jan 2004 3:07 pm

They say laughter is the best medicine Julie :lol: :lol: and that's one thing we girls know how to do well. Like you, I figured it was just a matter of time before Jason spoke up - nice to see you're on the ball jf!

It would seem, going by the responses we've had, that most of the 'boys' on AWRC don't do any training at all. Come on fellas!

Teresap - (wishing 5 o'clock would get here sooner so I can see my dogs! ....... and Wayne! :oops: )

Have a good one!
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Kate Eltringham » Sat 17 Jan 2004 12:37 pm

Hi Julie,

Noticed your comments about getting good marks next weekend at Shepparton! Remember it is Shep and unless a clearing machine has gone through there you let alone the dogs may have trouble seeing the marks!! Hopefully it won't be too hot for you all like last year.

Teresa, due to the injury recovery time am having to go back it a bit with Ski so will again be doing the every other day training schedule. It really seems to be working for her, she seems to be picking things up alot quicker do the short daily sessions than the long ones on the weekend. Will have to wait and see how she goes at the Flatcoat trial in May, where, hopefully, she'll be having her trialing debut. :?
Kate Eltringham

Postby Annie Warner » Sat 17 Jan 2004 6:11 pm

hi julie
well kate covered the 'sight's at shep' angle, looking at the weather seems like the hot stuff will be hitting victoria earlier in the week so you may get some cooler weather for next w/end so good luck to all going up!
(i'll be at phillip island myself!)
catch you all at a trial soon - if any of the Vic. trial managers think they would like a dedicated steward for a trial just e mail me.

annie
Annie Warner

Postby Prue Winkfield » Tue 20 Jan 2004 11:24 am

On the subject of training schedules - what I have found most useful is writing down what we did after each session and the date! A bit like writing down what you eat when wanting to loose weight. Start by listing the things you want to work on over the next month, or whatever. It is amazing how easy is is to fall into the trap of doing favorite drills and missing out on others . Due to puppy duties, will miss Shep for the first time since the mid 1970s - hope you all do well and it is not too hot. :P
Prue Winkfield

Next

Return to Training Q&A