Beginners Test

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Beginners Test

Postby Natasha Sleep » Mon 26 Feb 2007 11:30 am

Hey all,

I've noticed that the Flatcoated Retriever Association is having a beginners class in May.
Can someone tell me or direct me too where i can find some more info about it please as i am interested in giving it a go.

Thanks
Natasha Sleep

Postby Wayne Parkinson » Mon 26 Feb 2007 12:36 pm

Hi
Look up Peter and Helen Elay in the VCA magazine
You can also look up the Flatcoat trial information in the “Trial Schedules and Results” on this site

Where is Victoria do you live?
There will be someone within travelling distance who would be willing to help get you started with training. That's if you need it.

Wayne Parkinson
Wayne Parkinson

Postby Natasha Sleep » Mon 26 Feb 2007 1:30 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I was after information on what the dog is required too do in beginners.

I am in Pakenham and we definately need training LOL
Natasha Sleep

Postby Jason Ferris » Mon 26 Feb 2007 2:55 pm

Hi Natasha

Welcome to the site.

The rules for trials are at http://www.australianworkingretrievercentral.org.au/Rules2005.pdf. They contain a description of the beginners test - see rule 36. Basically it is two single marked retrieves, one on land and one in the water. Maximum distance is 100m.

Your dog will need to walk at heel off lead, be steady to shot, mark a relatively straightforward retrieve, fetch on command and deliver to hand.

I understand that the Flatcoat club run a very positive and supportive weekend, aimed at helping out new starters.

Regards, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Prue Winkfield » Mon 26 Feb 2007 3:38 pm

Natasha - what Jason has described is accurate but if your dog can do all that perfectly it will probably be win! The judges and stewards at beginners are very helpful so as long as your dog will retrieve from water and land and bring the bird back to you - give it a go. The breeder of your dog may know someone near you who might be able to help - If you get stuck and can travel over to near Bacchus Marsh, send me a PM and perhaps we can arrange something. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Natasha Sleep » Tue 27 Feb 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks for the replies.

He can do all that but still not very good with a gun shot.

My dogs are actually Tollers LOL not a well represented breed any where let alone in Retrieving trials, so the breeder doesnt know anyone. Though i know Julie C??? with Labradors. She has offered too help i just wanted too know what was required of my dog and i before we jump in the deep end :)

Thanks again
Natasha Sleep

Postby Natasha Sleep » Tue 27 Feb 2007 4:54 pm

Just another question, because it is a test do i still have too have a gun licence?
Natasha Sleep

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 27 Feb 2007 5:30 pm

Hi Natasha,

Welcome!

There used to be a few Tollers trialling in NSW. They were very entertaining to watch :D I believe we've had them gain NRD titles although not sure about the RRD. I'm sure someone with a better memory than mine can clear that up.

For the beginners test you should be able to get away with not having a gun licence by having someone shoot for you. You'll find the retrieving crowd a pretty friendly bunch and there shouldn't be too much trouble getting a volunteer at the trial for that.

Lots of practise with a kids' cap gun will help to improve your dog's reaction to the shot. The ideal may be to have someone shoot a gun some way from the dog and gradually get closer but I mostly am on my own so have to devise other methods. I generally get a cap gun, throw some treats on the ground and fire the gun into the air. The dog comes to associate the sound of the gun first with treats and then eventually with fun stuff like birds. Its super easy to do even if you live in town and, last time I checked anyway, you don't need a gun licence for a plastic cap gun :wink:

Good luck and hope to see you at some trials :D

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Kate Eltringham » Tue 27 Feb 2007 5:48 pm

Hi Natasha,

Noel and I organise the Flatcoat trial. If you wish to run in the Beginners Test it is not necessary for you to have a gun licence, you will be under the control of a steward who has a gun licence and for Beginners we organise for them to shoot for you.

Our Beginners Judge, Mr Jack Montasell, is without question one of the elder statesmen of trialing in this country and is a wonderful judge to work with at this level.

The trial schedule is on the website with all of our details so please feel free to contact us at anytime.

For any triallers who would like to come to our trial and offer assistance to "newbies" it would be greatly appreciated. Last year we had 6 competitors who had never trialed before come and try out at the Beginners Test. In fact they were all women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Kate
Kate Eltringham

Postby Natasha Sleep » Tue 27 Feb 2007 8:39 pm

Thanks for that!!
I never thought about the cap gun, i will get one tomorrow and practice with that. Ive heard about the Tollers in NSW, havent heard of any down here though?

This will be a whole different experience, i do all the other dog sports like showing, agility and flyball. Though he is a little bored with that stuff so retrieving should be good for him :)

Thanks again :)
Natasha Sleep

Postby Prue Winkfield » Wed 28 Feb 2007 8:16 am

A couple of years ago I saw a vet with tollers in Queensland - she was going to get going in trials but have not heard whether she did nor not - great little dogs!
Prue Winkfield

Postby Allan Bartram » Wed 28 Feb 2007 10:44 am

Sue Hogben here in WA ran her Toller (Joker) in Novice and Restricted trials and gained both NRD and RRD titles pretty quickly. Interesting little dog, more like a fox than a FOX!!!

Allan
Allan Bartram

Tollers in Qld

Postby Jim Cattermole » Wed 28 Feb 2007 6:21 pm

A couple of years ago now we had Tollers trialling in Novice and occasionally winning too. They are great little dogs to watch, these ones were an explosion of energy and enthusiasm you wouldn't believe when you saw them totally relaxed and unconcerned before their runs. A shame we haven't seen them since, I think the breeder must have been out to prove something. She certainly proved they are great little triallers at least at Novice level, and thats pretty good these days.
Jim
Ch Torlum Drumeldre CD RRD 1996-2005 a great mate.
Jim Cattermole

Postby Natasha Sleep » Wed 28 Feb 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I would love too see more Tollers in trials but none down here seem too want too get involved. Glad too see people here think they can actually do it. Some other people have told me otherwise :roll:

I bought the cap gun and he isnt too upset about it, he started a few times but then i bought out his favourite retrieving toy and he totally ignored the bang. He tends too go deaf when in such a high drive LOL
Natasha Sleep

Postby Melissa Plant » Sat 03 Mar 2007 2:17 pm

Natasha Sleep wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I would love too see more Tollers in trials but none down here seem too want too get involved.

I do! :oops: I just have to teach Geordie that swimming doesn't constitute splashing so much water in front of him that he can't see the object! :lol:

The beginners class sounds great but I think I will be in SA for the Agility Nationals on the same weekend. :?

Mel.
Melissa Plant

Next

Return to Training Q&A