2 sided heel

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

2 sided heel

Postby Tony Rowland » Wed 31 Oct 2007 8:04 pm

just a tech question

Is two sided heeling allowed in a trial?

tony
working with the grey ghost, can be like catching fly with chop stick''
Tony Rowland

Re: 2 sided heel

Postby Alan Donovan » Sat 03 Nov 2007 3:20 pm

Hi Tony

Yes, dogs may heel on either side of the handler.

The only rule that may have inhibited this (which indicated that it was preferred to have the dog heeling on the left side for a right handed shooter) was deleted in the rule review of 1999. It was perhaps considered unfair as it did not refer to the position of the dog for left handed shooters............

Cheers - Alan
Alan Donovan

Postby Tony Rowland » Sat 03 Nov 2007 8:53 pm

thanks allan

I couldnt find any referance in the rules I have.
I was reading a post on another forum, of its advantages in certain situations and wound if it could be used here.

tony
working with the grey ghost, can be like catching fly with chop stick''
Tony Rowland

Postby Kirsty Blair » Sun 04 Nov 2007 6:40 am

Hi Tony,

Further down the page of Training threads you will see that we had a discussion on two sided heeling in 2004. Some interesting points were raised by experienced trainers in this thread. I wonder if their viewpoints remain unchanged?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64

Am I the only one that finds its somewhat disappointing that our discussion topics on training theory and practice on this board takes up little more than a page in over three and a half years?

Cheers
Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Prue Winkfield » Sun 04 Nov 2007 7:45 am

Hi Kirsty - it is a shame that there are not more discussions here. Perhaps it is because our top handlers do not want to share their secrets (there are some exceptions) or more likely that people can access the US Forums where most issues are freely discussed with professionals (in the sense they are paid) and others prepared to share their ideas. Lets face it, our trials are becoming very Americanised in lots of ways so problems there are similar to those we have here. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Jackie Price » Thu 08 Nov 2007 10:30 am

Hi
Dom Colasimone from Bundaberg uses 2 sided heeling and seems to have a lot of success with it. Maybe it depends on the type of dog/breed you are training, as to how they respond and yes experience on the handlers side would play a big part in it. Tried to introduce Radar to it but think he is a little mature now, but with the success Dom has had would definatly teach it to the next pup
Jackie
Jackie Price

Postby Di Lynch » Sun 11 Nov 2007 12:02 pm

Hi, How do you teach right sided heeling? What is your command? I would like to have a try but don't know how to start. Cheers Di
Di Lynch

Postby Kerry Webster » Sun 11 Nov 2007 1:21 pm

Hi Di,

I have taught my youngster two sided heeling, just in case I need it. Apart from the retrieving field, I am hoping to compete in agility with her and so it is a benefit in that arena too.

The basics were to teach her with a different command for her to heel on each side. I say "heel" for a left side and "side" for the right side. For retrieving I can see that having her at heel on the right could be used for lining situations where the dog being on the left might have a sighting/line obscured in some way. Haven't actually had to use it yet, but I have seen some E.S. handlers cast their dogs from their right hand side.

Kerry
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Return to Training Q&A