PUPPY TRAINING PROGRAM

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

PUPPY TRAINING PROGRAM

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Wed 07 Nov 2007 11:53 am

Hi everyone,

It's been a while :D since I last trained up a pup from scratch and while it seems to be coming back to me :shock: , I'm trying to find a formal program to work to. Anyone out there keen to share theirs with me (or possibly with the rest of the members???) :wink:

Hope to hear from someone soon...

Teresa
Teresa Parkinson

Re: PUPPY TRAINING PROGRAM

Postby Gareth Tawton » Wed 07 Nov 2007 12:25 pm

HI Teresa,

Try Mike Lardy website it use to have a great flow chart that can be adapted to Australian trials. I used it with Monty and it seems to have worked OK

Gareth
Gareth Tawton

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Wed 07 Nov 2007 12:38 pm

Thanks Gareth,

I have that very one sitting on my fridge door at home as we speak and I am definitely using it as a general guide...I just thought someone might have a more 'tailor-made' program that I could also adapt.

Teresa
Teresa Parkinson

Postby Carlo Iacobucci » Wed 07 Nov 2007 7:56 pm

Hi Teresa,

I sent awayfor the Smart Works boocks and dvd's by evan graham which i am using with my young vizsla with good results exept for the E Collar stuf.

Have sent you a PM.

Carlo.
Carlo Iacobucci

Postby Prue Winkfield » Fri 09 Nov 2007 7:54 am

Teresa - I borrowed a book when Joy was a pup which was called Sound Beginnings - or was it a video :roll: which I think was done by someone called Martens. It or they were excellent - sorry about my 'senior' memory but Julie should ber able to give you the details. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Kirsty Blair » Fri 09 Nov 2007 11:37 am

Hi Teresa,

I have the DVD 'Sound Beginnings" by Jackie Mertens. I found it excellent for building a foundation with my little pup. Its nice to actually be able SEE the pups doing the exercises described. It doesn't, however, go much past training basic doubles. I would say it is great for pups up to 6 months old? I'm happy to post it down to you if you like...

Cheers
Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Teresa Parkinson » Fri 09 Nov 2007 7:40 pm

Hi all, just wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone's generosity to date.

Prue and Kirsty - thanks for your feedback.

Would you believe that the Jackie Mertens video is already on its way to me (thanks to Julie) and should arrive on Monday. All being well, I hope to get our VCR up and running again :lol:

I suspect that the bigger question is how do I get Gidget to sit still long enough to watch it????? :roll:

Kirsty, if I run into difficulties with the video, would you mind if I contacted you and got you to send me the DVD after all? I'd be very keen to see it as I hear it's very good.

Thanks again to you both.

Teresa
Teresa Parkinson

Return to Training Q&A