Teaching Blinds

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Teaching Blinds

Postby Kirsty Blair » Sun 09 Dec 2007 9:57 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering how many people use flags or traffic cones to identify the pile when teaching blinds?

Cheers
Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Re: Teaching Blinds

Postby Prue Winkfield » Mon 10 Dec 2007 7:55 am

Hi Kirsty - yes, I do - white electric fence poles with a plastic shopping bag tied to it to start with. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Postby Jack Lynch » Tue 11 Dec 2007 9:12 am

Hi Kirsty, firstly beware of the white pegs.I fell into a trap whilst teaching Fern to run blinds.I had been using the pegs regularly, so regularly in fact that when I ran her in restricted for the first time and had cause to stop her and give direction to a blind she turned and looked in the correct direction but remained there, peering out.I later realised that she was looking for the white peg.It took me months to fix the problem.White would be fine for the initial training but should be discarded as early as possible.Better to use more natural markers such as tree branches or rocks. I f you must use pegs or cones then spray them orange or brown. Regards, Jack.
Jack Lynch

Postby Robert Tawton » Tue 11 Dec 2007 11:21 am

Hi Kirsty,

The first question is; exactly what do you mean by the expression ‘teaching blinds’? The process through which our dogs learn to handle involves the teaching of a number of clearly defined concepts that are subsequently chained together. Still later the dog must be given the opportunity to gain the experience necessary to apply these concepts to the vast array of dynamic situations that grey headed Judges spend hours dreaming about.

Most concepts are taught at close range and in a mown lawn type environment that makes using flags somewhat redundant. For example, it is unnecessary to use flags when teaching concepts such as, three handed lining drill, three handed casting drill, wagon wheel lining drill, wagon wheel casting drill, push and pull at the firing point. The list goes on and on.

Arguably the Double Tee Drill underpins all aspects of advanced handling and since the distances involved are greater there maybe a case for the use of flags, if only to assist the handler in knowing exactly where the dummy piles are located. Similarly the use of flags maybe justified during the initial teaching phase of Swim-by”. In both cases my advice would be to limit flags to the initial teaching phase at most.

In the early days of my involvement in the sport I used flags extensively. I even had special flags made that were half black and half white so that they would be visible against all manner of backgrounds, but like Jack I have seen shortcomings with their extended use. I have come to the view that if a dog needs the extended use of flags to lure it into performing the desired behaviour or to the desired destination; this is a clear indication that the handler is pushing the dog and that the dog has not mastered the necessary initial concepts. I read somewhere that, “sorting out the basics is time well spent” and that is certainly good advice.

In summary, I used flags for about 25 years, but over the last 15 years their use has waned to the point that I cannot recall using them at all in the last three years.

Regards, RWT
Robert Tawton

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 11 Dec 2007 11:19 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the replies. Jack, I certainly see your point about Fern having issues with moving on from having the flag as a cue.

Robert Tawton wrote:The first question is; exactly what do you mean by the expression ‘teaching blinds’?

Apologies Bob, as my question was fairly ambiguous! When I talk about using flags for blinds I'm talking more about teaching the dog to run lines. In my young dog I would say the only real issues we have ever had stem from lack of confidence. I was thinking that using flags during his initial blind training (line work) would help to build momentum and confidence. To be honest, using a flag also helps me to align the dog more accurately :oops: Jack, your idea about using brown markers could be the answer to my own shortcomings in that regard...

Thanks again for giving me lots to think about.

Cheers

Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Return to Training Q&A