Help for new comers

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Help for new comers

Postby Diane McCann » Sat 07 Jun 2014 7:23 pm

I have noticed over many years that the most experienced and knowledgeable and successful trainers and competitors rarely post in reply to questions on this Training forum. Why? Surely you are not worried about being judged for your opinion? I am willing to put up my much inferior assistance to help new comers to this sport. I am sure that myself and other more experienced trialler's could also benefit greatly from reading responses from the upper echelon, as well as those coming to this site as complete newbies. So how about answering publicly a few of the questions posted here, or letting us know your reasons why you do not.
Diane
Diane McCann

Re: Help for new comers

Postby Clinton Bodilly » Sun 08 Jun 2014 7:46 pm

Diane how very well put as a newbie to the sport I often read posts on this forum and are surprised by the lack of replies newbie's are receiving in regards to their questions, this silence is not very encouraging for people who are just beginning and are thirsty for the knowledge from the experienced dog trainers and competitors in this wonderful sport.

I think it is sometimes daunting for newbie's to even post there questions/ trouble but to receive no or few replies can be somewhat off putting.

Thank you to those who reply regularly I really look forward to reading the replies and learning much from them.

Clinton
Clinton Bodilly

Postby Diane McCann » Mon 09 Jun 2014 5:05 pm

Hopefully we will see a bit more activity for this forum Clinton, there is so much knowledge out there
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby matthew snelling » Thu 12 Jun 2014 9:37 pm

Yes very true I am now starting to look at USA forums to get some Answers that I need to love to hear from Australians
matthew snelling

Postby Prue Winkfield » Mon 16 Jun 2014 2:05 pm

Hello Matthew and Clinton. Have only just logged onto this site again hence no previous response. It has always been the case that newcomers find it very difficult to get assistance and as everyone becomes more and more time poor it is probably even harder now than when I started at the end of the 1970s.

There is a lot of expertise here. However, as we all know, there is always more one way to 'skin the cat' and even though most successful people follow similar programmes there is a fair amount of diversity. People are reluctant to give advice then have someone else disagree - it is easier to keep quiet. Perhaps Australians are not as thick skinned as their US counterparts!

My view is that newcomers to the sport need a mentor who can talk them through a programme and give advice on issues as they arise. The first step is to contact the breeder to see if they have the experience to help. If not, do they know of someone who can - many breeders have wide contacts. Failing that contact your breed club and see if they can point you in the right direction - they should be able to do this. The Victorian Gundog Club covers all disciplines and might be able to provide a contact to assist a member. It also conducts training days which not only provide help on the day but can provide contacts for the future. Obviously to get help from the Clubs you need to be a member.

Over the years it has become increasingly clear to me that when purchasing a pup of any breed one should ensure the breeder is involved in whatever dog sport you are interested in. From the show ring, agility, retrieving, field, etc. The beginner then has a much better chance of obtaining assistance. Sorry if this does not help now but might in the future. Good luck to you both! Prue
Prue Winkfield

Return to Training Q&A