whistles and hearing

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

whistles and hearing

Postby drbobsd » Wed 29 Sep 2004 10:46 pm

How far can English style ACME whistles be heard? Just curious, love them for hunting but what about long land and water blinds?
drbobsd

Postby Julie Cramond » Thu 30 Sep 2004 10:08 am

I have no idea, sorry.

I use a mega whistle. My training group uses Mega's now too (I have learnt to stay away from them when they are handling - Andrews says I am deaf enough).
Julie Cramond

Postby Howard » Thu 30 Sep 2004 12:01 pm

Is selective hearing the same as deaf? :lol: :lol:
Howard Niemi

Enjoy the journey....the destination isn't all that it's cracked up to be! Rabbi 2003
Howard

Postby Julie Cramond » Fri 01 Oct 2004 11:11 am

Howard,

I cannot help it if Andrew mumbles (normally under his breath, LOL) about some of my WONDERFUL plans.
Julie Cramond

Postby jeff b » Fri 01 Oct 2004 8:34 pm

Here in the UK most handlers use Acme whistles. I personally use the Acme 212 Trialler, my dogs have comfortably responded to it at 400 yards. It has a slightly lower tone than the 210 1/2 and the 211 1/2 but will not blow out to a hiss no matter how hard it is blown. Few handlers use whistles with a pea as this type is often used by a gamekeeper to signal the end of a drive. I have seen on occasion a dog handler use one and the guns put their shotguns away thinking the drive was over.

I assume the Mega you refer to is similar the the one used by many US handlers, a bit like a small megaphone. I do not know of anyone here who uses such a loud whistle and to be honest it probably would not be tolerated in the UK shooting field and especially not in a trial.

Jeff
Failing to train is training to fail.
jeff b

Postby drbobsd » Mon 04 Oct 2004 11:35 am

Where might I find 212 trialer whistle anywhere online in the US? I'm using 210 1/2 now. Do the dogs have problem changing over? I still wonder how far should I expect them to hear the 210 1\2?
drbobsd

Postby jeff b » Tue 05 Oct 2004 3:20 am

Bob

You can buy an Acme 212 trialer whistle at the following:

http://www.rainfordwa11.freeserve.co.uk/

If you have problems email me at

chatston.gundogs@dsl.pipex.com

As for the distance, ask a friend to help you determine the distance at which they can hear it, dogs have better hearing than humans so it is likely to be greater for the dog, depending on weather conditions.

There should be no real problems changing over from one to the other.

Jeff
jeff b

Postby drbobsd » Wed 06 Oct 2004 10:50 pm

Thanks Jeff,

Will check it out. May have to send you some cash and you can send me one. :)
drbobsd

Postby jeff b » Thu 07 Oct 2004 6:21 am

Bob

I always keep a few in stock, email me your address and I will send one out to you.

Jeff
jeff b

Postby drbobsd » Tue 12 Oct 2004 10:26 pm

That is really nice of you Jeff. I will e-mail you. Maybe you could deliver it and shoot some South Dakota pheasants while your here.
drbobsd

Return to Training Q&A