eyesight

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

eyesight

Postby Maureen Cooper » Fri 01 Oct 2004 5:03 pm

An article was written in a recent newspaper on the testing of a group of Labradors and their eyesight. I think 38 dogs were tested and it was discovered that many of them had the same problems as humans in that some had short sight, long sight etc. (Dont quite know how they did this seeing as dogs can't read eye charts!!!)

However many years ago I knew of a young dog who's owners thought the dog had PRA as its vision seemed deficient but following a visit to the dog opthalmologist it was found the dog had 'conus' which was on a par with being shortsighted in the human, I think it was.

We all know of some bloodlines where the dogs seem to be excellent markers and similarly, some whose ability to mark is not quite so good. It would therefore seem quite logical that with this visual deficiency being found, that all dogs cannot be turned into good markers. Good or bad eyesight runs in human families and so with dogs.

TTFN
Maureen
Maureen Cooper

Return to Training Q&A