Birds - where can I get one for training

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Birds - where can I get one for training

Postby Kathy Sproat » Sun 23 Apr 2006 6:42 pm

Hi all, I'm a newbie to all of this, so can anyone advise where I can source a (dead)bird for training. I am not a shooter/hunter, so can't go out and get one for myself!

Thanks for any help on this

Kathy Sproat
Drumkeerin Irish Water Spaniels
Making a BIG Splash!
Beauty, Brains, Health & Versatility
Kathy Sproat

Postby Jason Ferris » Mon 24 Apr 2006 11:27 am

Hi Kathy

When I first started out I found the best way to get birds (and lots of useful advice and information) was to go along to a trial to watch and help out. After the trial is over most trial managers seem happy for people to take birds for training purposes if you ask first.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Prue Winkfield » Mon 24 Apr 2006 1:51 pm

The Flat Coated Retriever club have a trial on 7th May - would be a good place to start as they have a biginners test which not all trials have and am sure they would you let you have some birds if you ask.
Prue Winkfield

Birds for training

Postby Kathy Sproat » Mon 24 Apr 2006 2:23 pm

Hi Prue and Jason, thanks for the advice and info, I went along to the Inverleigh trail (close to home - Geelong) and watched the last leg of the Novice runs (that's how i KNOW we are not ready for Novice!), everyone there was very helpful, Eric Dell was judging and Eric and Lesley also said that was the best way to get training in and learn - come along to the trials and help out, and get some training in afterwards. So I guess I'll be seeing you around at the trials.
I have entered beginners at the Flatcoat Trial, so at least there'll be some entertainment for the day - Finn hasn't seen a real bird for over 12 months now, so it will be interesting to say the least-should be a really good laugh!! :D :oops:

Thanks again, see you on the 7th

Kathy
Making a BIG Splash!
Kathy Sproat

Postby Jason Ferris » Mon 24 Apr 2006 5:53 pm

Good luck Kathy. Trust your dog's natural instincts - if he has seen a bird before it will all come back to him pretty quick.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Chris, Jac Van Eekelen » Mon 24 Apr 2006 7:55 pm

G'Day Kathy,
If you like you can come up to our place and do some training I have a freezer full of birds :wink:
Give me a call 0408178668
cheers Chris
Chris, Jac Van Eekelen

birds for training

Postby Kathy Sproat » Thu 27 Apr 2006 8:46 pm

Thanks Jason and Chris - like you say Jason, I'm sure .....(I HOPE....)Finn will latch on again very quickly to what a 'real' bird is.

I didn't realise you lived relatively close Chris, maybe I will be able to return you to the ranks of the 'rarer retrieving breeds' again - back from the Choc Lab to the 'grey ghost' - or even more novel - the 'chocolate Bob Marley' (IWS) :lol: :lol:

see you at the Flatcoat trial

Kathy
Making a BIG Splash!
Kathy Sproat

Return to Training Q&A