Delivery

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Delivery

Postby Diane McCann » Thu 10 Aug 2006 9:17 am

It has been three months since a training question was posted. When you look at the average number of replies that a training question gets on the forum it is quite low. Do you think that this is the reason why people are not posting questions or is it simply the time of the year?

However, that is not my training question.

I have problems with delivery. More than one dog that I have trained demonstrates poor delivery, showing, in one way or another, that it would prefer not to give me the bird. This would suggest that I am doing something wrong in starting a new dog or all along the way.

I would welome ideas on how I can better motivate my dogs to be happy to deliver properly as clearly nagging them at the end of each retrieve is not desirable.

Thanks,

Diane
Diane McCann

Poor delivery

Postby Garrick Bridges » Thu 10 Aug 2006 7:32 pm

Hi Diane,
In the short time I have been involved in this game I have come to believe in the efficacy of a thorough Force Fetch programme. I am sure you will get a variety of replies from much more proficient trainers than me but personally, I think that going through a systematic programme of force fetch can help to avoid many problems which can crop up later in training.
Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Re: Delivery

Postby Jason Ferris » Thu 10 Aug 2006 11:03 pm

Diane McCann wrote:It has been three months since a training question was posted. When you look at the average number of replies that a training question gets on the forum it is quite low. Do you think that this is the reason why people are not posting questions or is it simply the time of the year?

It's pretty quiet here all year round Diane. I guess many people are too shy to ask a question and despite the number of very well inform retriever trainers who I know read this site, the answers are few and far between.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything I can do to liven things up here, please let me know. Just click on the email or private message buttons below if you don't want to do it publicly.

Cheers, Jason.
Jason Ferris
Board Admin

Postby Diane McCann » Fri 11 Aug 2006 9:00 am

You may well be right Garrick. It is certainly not something that I have done and therefore is something that I could try, particularly with my young dog. Thanks for your input.

Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Lynne Strang » Tue 15 Aug 2006 11:01 am

Hi Dianne,
I have been waiting for some of our top handlers to reply. I have trained 4 retrieving dogs and each one has had different problems (besides their handler!) I think its hard to give advice by mail. If you could possibly get an experienced handler to watch you with your dog they might see your problem. Alternatively, seek advice from an Obedience coach.
In general, delivery is an obedience exercise and any teaching and corrections need to be separate from the retrieve at first, as you want the dog to retrieve confidently. Dogs learn by repetition of correct behaviors which are rewarded with praise etc.
There are several retrieving training books available. If you ask around, you could probably borrow one with ideas on delivery.
Also this topic was discussed a while back, so if you scroll back you will find the advice given at that time.
I'm sorry I am so far away. Perhaps someone closer will offer to help.
Good luck,
Lynne
Lynne Strang

Delivery

Postby Bill Bailey » Tue 24 Apr 2007 10:19 am

Hi Dianne,
A suggestion that might help is to give your dog a few short double marks on land rather than singles, as follows. Throw the first one as usual but have the second one on a light cord. Throw that one to land in the open, so that your dog will see it as he returns with the first one. Send your dog for the first one and when he picks it up call "Come" with a note of urgency in your voice. As he looks towards you give the cord to the second mark a tug to make it "skip into the air" as though it was escaping. All going well your dog will gladly release the first one to you so that it can get the second one. Set it all up carefully so that if your dog drops the first one you can pick up the second one before your dog does. If that happens insist on the first retrieve being completed before the second one is commenced.
If you want to be extra careful, which is often the way to go. Initially just get your dog to heel with the "first dummy" in its mouth. Tell it to "Sit" firmly. Then throw the dummy on the cord, make it skip, etc. Then take the first duimmy and correctly send your dog from the heel position to retrieve the second dummy.
As things improve and you want to get back to singles. Just throw the mark as you see fit but hold the second dummy in your hand. As your dog turns and starts to come towards you, throw the second one. Of course make sure that you can prevent your dog from getting it if he drops the first dummy. Gradually bring about a situation where your dog is looking forward to another retrieve after the first one.
Once your dog is reliable on land repeat things with the first retrieve into water. As a water retrieve takes longer than a land retrieve, your dog will have to rember the second retrieve for a longer period, so give the cord two tugs, the second one as your dog gets closer to the bank. It might also be worth standing in the water to accept delivery of the water retrieve. Only gradually move back to accepting delivery on land when everything is going ok. From what I have seen hunting for another dummy is far more interesting to a dog of reasonable ability than just holding on to the last one.
Whatever you do, do not show anything other than low level friendly relaxation. No anger, frustration, hostility or physical punishment. As far as I am concerned if anything goes wrong when I am training it is my fault not the dog's. My aim is to set things up so that the dog gets it right the first time and every time. Ideally he learns to do what I want without knowing it. My job is to make doing it correctly the obvious thing to do, in that situation, from the dog's point of view.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards Bill Bailey
Bill Bailey

Postby FOM - Lainee » Tue 24 Apr 2007 12:43 pm

I have a question: Does the dog chomp down and mouth the bird or does it just lock it's jaws.

Keep in mind, my point of view will be from the US training methods, but having just dealt with this I have a few suggestions, but I'm curious of how he is refusing to give you the birds.

FOM
FOM - Lainee

Return to Training Q&A