ACT Gundog Society's P&S Field Trials 12/13 July 2008

For discussion related to spaniel and retriever, pointer and setter, and utility field trials

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

ACT Gundog Society's P&S Field Trials 12/13 July 2008

Postby Robert Tawton » Wed 16 Jul 2008 1:19 pm

ACT Gundog Society Pointer and Setter Field Trial

After a lapse of nearly 14 Years, the ACT Gundog Society conducted two Open Pointer and Setter Field Trials in the Barmedman area of NSW on Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 July 2008.
The event on Saturday was judged by Mr Bruno Pollini with an entry of 14 dogs, which included two English Setter dogs, one Gordon Setter dog, six Pointer dogs and five Pointer bitches. An overnight frost made conditions quite brisk early in the morning, but as the sun broke through, conditions became rather pleasant. There was more than adequate game, a mixture of Button and Stubble Quail in nearly equal proportions. Personally, I cannot recall having seen so many Button quail in the one area. All dogs completed the retrieve except for one dog, whose handler declared that the dog would “seek dead”, but in reality did a beautiful retrieve with a soft mouth delivery straight to hand.

The final results were:
1st Place FT Ch Deiforti Rosi NRD, a Pointer Bitch handled by Ray Goody
2nd Place Quannah California Badja, a Pointer Bitch also handled by Ray Goody
3rd Place Quannah Commanche Storm, a Pointer Dog handled by S N Monaghan

Sunday’s event was judged by David Coleman with an entry of 15 dogs. Overnight cloud cover made for excellent conditions right from the start of the competition, which was conducted in the same paddocks as used the day before. Clearly, Trials in which game is not harvested enjoy a significant advantage over the more traditional form of competition, especially in times when game is scarce. Vince Pino’s Pointer dog, FT Ch Rocca Diesel, did some spectacular work in the field, but again completed a beautiful retrieve instead of performing a “seek dead”.

The final result was:
1st Place FT Ch Deitforti Rosi NRD handled by Ray Goody
2nd Place Quannah Commanche Storm handled by S N Monaghan

According to the Society’s records it conducted its first ever Pointer and Setter Field Trial on 6 May 1978 with an entry of 7 dogs – three Pointer bitches, two Pointer dogs, one Irish Setter dog and one Irish Setter bitch. Bob Stott handled a Pointer dog and an Irish Setter bitch. Colleen Pollini was the Judge’s Steward and Chris Stott was the ACTCA Representative.
It is interesting to note that over the past weekend and some thirty years later, Bob Stott handled a Pointer bitch and an English Setter dog, Colleen Pollini was the official photographer and Assembly Steward and Chris Stott was again the ACTCA (Dogs ACT) representative. What dedication to the wonderful sport of Field Trialling!!

As Trial Manager and on behalf of the Society, I would like to pass a special vote of thanks to Bruno Pollini and his band of helpers, who put in the hard yards to locate such an excellent Trial Ground.

Robert Tawton
Robert Tawton

Re: ACT Gundog Society's P&S Field Trials 12/13 July 2008

Postby Leanne O'Sullivan » Wed 16 Jul 2008 3:29 pm

Hi Bob

Thanks for the report. I find field trials very interesting.

Can you (or someone) please explain what "seek dead" is and why Vince was put out of the trial for it.

Thanks
Leanne
Leanne O'Sullivan

Postby Bruno Pollini » Wed 16 Jul 2008 4:02 pm

Thanks for your report Bob. Below are some of the photos I took.
Colleen Pollini
PS The judge for the first ACT Gundog Society Trial in May 1978 was also the same (Bruno Pollini).

Saturday's crowd:

First brace Saturday - Allan Green and Gordon Setter Webster; George Parathyras and Pointer Kelly:

Vince Pino's Diesel and Shane Monaghan's Blackie share a point:

Bob & Chris Stott's Dottie backs Ray & Jackie Goody's Rosi:

Jackie Goody's Spot on point, Vince Pino's Diesel backing:

John Gilligan's English Setter Will produces a bird, Bob Stott's Dottie backing:

David Coleman's Marko on point, Ray Goody's Rosi also has a bird:

John Gilligan's English Setter Quail and Allan Green's Gordon Setter Webster:

Winner Saturday (and Sunday) Ray & Jackie Goody's Rosi:

2nd place Saturday - Ray & Jackie Goody's Badja:

3rd place Saturday, 2nd place Sunday - Shane Monaghan's Blackie

Blackie sits as a button quail flies:
Bruno Pollini

Postby Garrick Bridges » Wed 16 Jul 2008 4:36 pm

Hi Leanne,
Whilst I am unsure of many of the intricacies of field trialling, I believe that 'seek dead' involves the working dog 'pointing' at an item of game on the ground which has been despatched by the handler. The trial at the weekend was a 'non shooting trial' which means that while guns were carried by handlers and blanks were used, no game was actually despatched in the field. At the end of the day when the field work has been completed, dogs are tested on their ability to retrieve an item of game, alternatively, the handler may indicate to the judge that their dog will 'seek dead'. I guess that if the dog doesn't do as its' handler has indicated to the judge, then there may be penalties involved.

Garrick
Garrick Bridges

Postby Leanne O'Sullivan » Thu 17 Jul 2008 4:45 pm

Hi Garrick

Thanks for the explanation. Can I ask why the trial was a non-shooting trial?

Thanks
Leanne
Leanne O'Sullivan

Postby Prue Winkfield » Sun 20 Jul 2008 12:04 pm

Hi Leanne - it is illegal to shoot in NSW or ACT. Prue
Prue Winkfield

Return to Field Trials