Qld Utility Field Trials August 2nd/3rd

For discussion related to spaniel and retriever, pointer and setter, and utility field trials

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Qld Utility Field Trials August 2nd/3rd

Postby Alan Donovan » Thu 07 Aug 2008 11:55 am

The Inaugural “Closed Season” Utility Field Trials, Queensland were held last weekend

Organising Club: Wide Bay Working Gundog Club

Dates: 2nd August (Novice)
3rd August (Novice)

Judge: Mr. Don Nicol (Queensland)

Entries: 7 GSPs 1 Brittany

Don Nicol has experienced similar events including the European Championship for Utility Gundog breeds & the World Spring Championship for GSP’s as a spectator and guest judge. Events of a similar format are well established, highly regarded and well supported overseas.

As a first event of its kind in Queensland - the basic requirements under the revised guidelines were more than enough to differentiate and appropriately assess the relative working ability of the dogs entered in competition.

Some experimentation will no doubt occur in the future to fine - tune this form of trialling.

Congratulations and thanks to the Wide Bay Club for initiating the event, the judge for his management of the handlers and their dogs, and the competitors for their involvement.

RESULTS:

Sat 2nd August: No official placings.

Sun 3rd August :

1st R.T.CH. Macropus Don - GSP (Elio Colasimone) : 2 Championship points

No other placing

Sophie (FT CH Bulkuru Ruby CM) Memorial Award for best dog over the two days:
R.T.CH. Macropus Don (E. Colasimone)
Alan Donovan

Re: Qld Utility Field Trials August 2nd/3rd

Postby Don Nicol » Wed 13 Aug 2008 8:23 pm

Alan,
Did any of the fotos come out?
Don
Don Nicol

Postby Kirsty Blair » Thu 14 Aug 2008 8:27 am

Alan Donovan wrote:As a first event of its kind in Queensland - the basic requirements under the revised guidelines were more than enough to differentiate and appropriately assess the relative working ability of the dogs entered in competition.

Some experimentation will no doubt occur in the future to fine - tune this form of trialling.

Hi Alan,

What were the revised guidelines for this trial? I'm not really familiar with field trials at all but it seems that there is alot more capability to "experiment" with rules than in Retrieving Trials. Is this the case? I can't imagine any changes occurring in Retrieving Trials without a huge amount of debate, waiting for the appropriate rule review timing etc etc. How do field trialers maintain national consistency?

Cheers
Kirsty
Kirsty Blair

Postby Alan Donovan » Fri 15 Aug 2008 11:38 am

Hi Kirsty

While I do not have any authority to advise any official position on such matters, here's my personal opinion...........

There have always been differences in the running of Field Trials in each state due to the different game laws. For instance a Tasmanian could shoot Native Hens, so they could be the quarry for their trials. Similarly in Queensland hares and rabbits may be shot (humanely), and trials can be held in the absence of any open season for feathered game for spaniel retriever breeds, pointer setter breeds, and utility gundog breeds (each discipline having its own rules).

Field Trials are held in many countries around the world in which dogs may be run individually, or in a brace, and live ammunition may or may not be used. The ANKC rules for Field Trials for Utility Gundogs include (Rule 34) "the use of blank cartridges shall be at the discretion of the judge". Also a Gun Steward may be appointed to shoot on behalf of handlers. So there is perhaps more latitude in interpretation of the rules than may apply for the retrieving discipline.

The difference between rules and guidelines I have understood to be that the rules are to be found in the ANKC rulebooks (and in each state's controlling body rulebook). There have been guidelines brought in to try to maintain consistency within the judges' interpretation of the rules. For example there were a set of judges' guidelines for retrieving trials posted on this website some years ago. The guidelines for Utility Gundog and Spaniel Retriever Trials in Queensland were developed (following meetings attended by field triallers and judges at which there was a consensus position established) and distributed to the clubs and judges involved in the sport.

Maybe you could let me know how to post photos of the trials - my attempt to cut and paste them in as part of a Word document did not work.

Cheers - Alan
Alan Donovan

Return to Field Trials