Field & Retrieving Training Day

For discussion related to spaniel and retriever, pointer and setter, and utility field trials

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Postby Bruno Pollini » Tue 31 Mar 2009 2:20 pm

On Sunday the Pointing Breeds Field Trial Club NSW held a field and retrieving training day on our property in the Murrumbateman area. The turnout was 22 adults and five children, and 16 or so dogs - Pointers, English and Gordon Setters, a GSP and a couple of English Springer Spaniels. Part of the property has 120 acres of native grassland, ideal cover for birds, and the breeding season has been good despite the ongoing drought. Forty plus birds were counted, and at least three hares moved on. Weather conditions were far from ideal, 30+ degrees, so the field work was limited to mid-morning. All dogs had opportunities to find game, and some very good work was performed and experience gained by new handlers and young dogs.

All returned to the machinery shed for a cold drink or cup of tea while Ray Goody set up land and water retrieving runs, including putting out some decoys. During the break local retrieving trial judge, competitor and National Winner Graeme Parkinson gave a talk on starting off a young pup for retrieving, which was greatly appreciated. Then it was on to the retrieving session - single marked retrieves on land and from water, at distances of about 60 metres - all designed as practical shooting tests for the dogs. Most dogs completed retrieves with standard varying according to experience, but as always an enjoyable part of Club training days with both rabbits and pigeons used - and once again showing that Pointers & Setters do make good retrievers if trained properly.

The day concluded with a barbecue, all provided at no charge to members and participants.

Bruno Pollini (President, Pointing Breeds Field Trial Club NSW Inc.)

Bruno Pollini

Re: Field & Retrieving Training Day

Postby Lara Preston » Tue 31 Mar 2009 7:35 pm

Hi Bruno

I would have loved to attend, but I still cant find original post. Could you point me in the right direction to where I can find out when these training days are on so I dont miss out next time, thanks. Sounds like you all had a great day!!

Lara Preston
Lara Preston

Postby Bruno Pollini » Wed 01 Apr 2009 12:58 pm

Hi Lara,

The training day was included in my post of 8 January re NSW Pointer & Setter field trial dates for 2009.

The best way to find out about future Pointing Breeds FT Club events is to contact Secretary and Publicity Officer Ray Goody - tel. 02 95235336, mob. 0418 237018, email <raygoody@optusnet.com.au> . He will be happy to fill you in.

Regards,
Bruno
Bruno Pollini

Postby Lara Preston » Tue 07 Apr 2009 9:17 am

Thanks for that Bruno! It appears that my German Shorthair 'POINTER', cant play with the pointer & setters anyway!! :lol: Im a newbie to the sport and dont understand all of the rules yet :oops: Sorry!!, but we will definately attend the retreiving ones!!
Lara
Lara Preston

Postby Kirsty Blair » Tue 07 Apr 2009 6:44 pm

Hi Bruno,

Sounds like it was a great day! Like Lara I would have enjoyed the opportunity to watch and learn field training but didn't catch on to ad embedded in the trial date list.

Cheers
KG
Kirsty Blair

Return to Field Trials