ACTGS Open S&R Field Trial - RESULTS

For discussion related to spaniel and retriever, pointer and setter, and utility field trials

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

ACTGS Open S&R Field Trial - RESULTS

Postby Robert Tawton » Mon 31 Aug 2009 6:23 pm

ACT Gundog Society’s Open Spaniel & Retriever Field Trial held 29 August 2009

The ACTGS held an Open S&R Field Trial in the Bathurst area on Saturday August 29. A total of nine dogs were entered – 7 off English Springer Spaniels, 1 off Nova Scotia Duck Toller and 1 off Labrador. Unfortunately I &J Macdonald’s NSDTR bitch came into season and was a late scratching. The Judge for the event was Mr Steve Austin (NSW).

The meeting place for the competitors, stewards, Judge and spectators was the Mobil Service Station at Raglan, where vetting and the draw took place since it was raining and the colour of the sky suggested that we were in for long wet day. NB. Graeme Parkinson, et al, will attest that this “servo” provides the best hamburgers in the Blue Mountain.

At 08.30 sharp the convoy left for the Trial Site, a trip of about 20 minutes. Moderate rain fell for most of the first Round, which made it very slippery underfoot, especially when traversing the steep sided gullies.

Five dogs were invited to participate in the second Round of the competition at which time the rain had stopped and the sun was breaking through, making for rather pleasant conditions.

Around 1.30pm the Judge announced that he had completed the Trial and that he had a result.

In 1st Place was ESS Male – AFTERLEE TOPPER owned by B&C Pollini and handled by Bruno. – 5 Championship Points.

In 2nd Place was ESS Male – TUSSOCKRIDGE NZUEU owned and handled by Alan Dorahy – 3 Championship Points

No other places were awarded.

Overall the success of the Trial could not have been achieved without the efforts of many people. The camaraderie amongst all those attending was excellent and in fact Graeme and I were invited to “go for a shot” after the Trial was over (about 1.45pm), but the four hour drive home took priority. I will be recommending that the ACTGS run this event again next year – with perhaps a Novice on the Saturday and an Open on the Sunday.

On behalf of the Society, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Hywel Blake, Don Provost, Ray Goody, Bruno and Colleen Pollini and Graeme Parkinson for their efforts. A special vote of thanks goes to both the Property Owner and the Judge for their involvement.
Perhaps the biggest vote of thanks goes to Iain Macdonald for the magnificent trophies he manufactured and donated for the event.

In closing I would be remiss if I did not comment on Topper’s outstanding performance, especially in view of his age, just 9 month old. During Round 1 it was evident that Topper had not been exposed to blackberries and was little reluctant to enter them. However, as the Trial progressed and Topper had a couple of finds, he mastered the cover like an old-time professional.

Robert Tawton
Trial Manager.
Robert Tawton

Re: ACTGS Open S&R Field Trial - RESULTS

Postby Bruno Pollini » Mon 31 Aug 2009 7:19 pm

Below are some photos salvaged from my waterlogged camera.
Colleen Pollini

Starting off:

Terrain - Bob Tawton's GRAND RT CH. KADNOOK TANKS AHEAP and Allan Dorahy's TUSSOCKRIDGE NZUEU:

Waiting in the rain - Graeme Parkinson, Shane Monaghan, Hywel Blake and Don Provest:

Don Provest's WRANGHAM SEXY REXY RetrievIng:

Up the creek - Bruno Pollini's AFTERLEE TOPPER and Allan Dorahy's TUSSOCKRIDGE ISAAC:

Pollini's AFTERLEE TOPPER retrieving:

Bruno Pollini (winner), Steve Austin (Judge), Bob Tawton (President ACT Gundog Society), Allan Dorahy (2nd place):
Bruno Pollini

Re: ACTGS Open S&R Field Trial - RESULTS

Postby Joanne Hagan » Tue 01 Sep 2009 8:28 am

Congratulations to Bruno on your win with your youngster, he is growing up fast! And thankyou to those competitors who entered our trial and to everyone who contributed to make it a success. Despite the weather, it sounds like a good day was had by all. Must go and check out those hamburgers next time I am up that way :)

Cheers

Jo Hagan
ACT Gundog Society Treasurer
Fourjays German Shorthaired Pointers
Joanne Hagan

Return to Field Trials