The Flush

For discussion related to spaniel and retriever, pointer and setter, and utility field trials

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

The Flush

Postby Tony Rowland » Sun 24 Jun 2012 10:54 pm

hi all

looking for some advice on how to teach the dog flush without getting close enough to catch birds.
I am currently using rope after the dog is on point (very steady to point) but as i move him forward he likes to jump forward at the bird and sometime catches it. :roll: :shock: :shock: :x

tony
working with the grey ghost, can be like catching fly with chop stick''
Tony Rowland

Re: The Flush

Postby brettdavidson » Mon 25 Jun 2012 10:48 pm

What sort of birds are they? Pigeons, quail etc.. Wild or released?
brettdavidson

Postby Diane McCann » Wed 27 Jun 2012 6:28 pm

Hi Tony, hopefully you will get some responses from handlers of field dogs that are a lot more experienced than me - but for what it is worth here are my thoughts. Don't worry about him catching them, this is not going to happen very often with healthy birds in anything but very thick cover, and having a 'sticky' dog who is reluctant to move off point and flush the birds is a way bigger problem (from personal experience). I am assuming that you are working quail.
Diane
Diane McCann

Postby Trevor Stow » Thu 28 Jun 2012 6:51 pm

Tony

I did not think that you would have this problem with your great new LABRADOR pup! I'm sure that he will grow out of it.
Trevor Stow

Postby Tony Rowland » Mon 02 Jul 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks for your replys diane and brett
as for trevor, I caught your piece in feather and fur. very good, I enjoyed it till i saw the
photo. They say dogs look like their owners, what a beautiful lab but the owner??????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
working with the grey ghost, can be like catching fly with chop stick''
Tony Rowland

Return to Field Trials