Results VGC S & R Field Trials 21/22 July

For discussion related to spaniel and retriever, pointer and setter, and utility field trials

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Results VGC S & R Field Trials 21/22 July

Postby Rachel Greaves » Tue 24 Jul 2012 7:37 am

The result of the Spaniel & Retriever Field Trials held last weekend were:
Saturday - Novice Stake
Winner (2 Championship points) Glastonpark Taffy owner/breeder S. Sapsead. Handler Jamie Hurtchesson
Runner Up (1 Championship point) Walgeers Tess Owner/Breeder/Handler Mark Kivinen
Encouragement Award Ray Matthews and Glastonpark Holly
Sunday Jack Montasell Memorial Open Stake
Winner (5 Championship points) FTCh Walgeers Oscar Breeder M. Kivinen. Owner/Handler Rod Watt
Runner Up (3 Championship points) Wrangham Sexy Rexy breeder R. Greaves. Owner/Handler Don Provest
These points gave Don's dog Texas his FTCh title. Well done!
Encouragement Award Alex Hill and Elderberry Scarlet (impUK) NRA,JD

Our thanks to Judge Amand Golle for his work throughout the two days and to all who entered or got up early to come and have a look.
Particular thanks to Brian Kennedy who brought his young Labrador and Wally who brought his Golden puppy - these were the only retrievers to grace the weekend.
What a disappointment. Jack did so much for the Labrador breed and for working gundogs in general.
Come on you retriever people - get practising now for next year - same weekend

Rachel Greaves
Rachel Greaves

Re: Results VGC S & R Field Trials 21/22 July

Postby Amand Golle » Mon 30 Jul 2012 8:27 pm

Spaniel & Retriever Field Trial

Having been invited to judge for the Victorian Gundog Club Inc, it was my pleasure and privilege to judge a small but quality field of English Springer Spaniels on Saturday 21st July on a beautiful property on which the abundance of rabbits was a sight for sore eyes, for myself as in Qld our small number of rabbits are few and far between. Whilst a lot of the game was moving without anything to do with dog work, we together, dogs and handlers and the guidance of the property nominee, Steve Sapsead, produced sufficient game with some excellent work both by dogs and handlers, who were participating at various levels of experience.
In a field of only seven we achieved a positive result of-
First Place: GLADSTONPARK TAFFY handled by Jamie Hurtchesson. This team produced some excellent work and were worthy of the win and the Championship Points. The Runner up: WALGEERS TESS, handled by Mark Kivinen, was not far behind the winner and also produced some great work and was therefore awarded the appropriate Championship Point. One other competitor achieved a qualifying certificate, GLADSTONPARK HOLLY, handled by Ray Matthews. This bitch showed some great attributes in her work and was awarded my encouragement award.

All in all from my prospective, this Novice Field was a pleasure to judge, as every competing dog showed the qualities as a result of training as field dogs for which they were bred and well educated.

Sunday 22nd July was a very special occasion in my judging career over many years. The Victorian Gundog Club dedicated the Open event to the late Jack Montasell, who sadly passed away earlier this year, as most people are aware.

Once again with just a small field of English Springer Spaniels to compete, the quality certainly made up for the small number entered. Having used the area the previous day, on the advice of my Trial Manager Steve Sapsead, we set out to compete, however this time with a very impressive number of people, young and not so young who came along to pay their respects to Jack, who was an enthusiastic icon in our wonderful sport of working gun dogs, in any discipline which we conduct in our country.

Whilst we had to work harder than the previous day to produce game by the dogs, the quality work of those competing were not to be denied and we achieved a very solid winner in FTCH. WALGEERS OSCAR, handled by Rod Watt. This team of dog and the very experienced Rod Watt would not be denied, with some classy and determined exhibition of dog and handler working as a team and very worthy of First Place and the appropriate Championship Points. The Runner up, WRANGHAM SEXY REXY, handled by Don Provost, this team competed every second they were in the field and are a credit to Spaniel Field trialling and therefore were awarded the appropriate Championship Points.
My encouragement award was awarded to ELDERBERRY SCARLET (Imp UK) NRA, JD handled by Alex Hill, this was their first outing in field trials and it was very pleasing to see both dog and handler compete at this level.
On that note every competing dog and handler in this small quality field should be rightly proud of their effort on the day, and as this was in honour of a great and enthusiastic ambassador of gundogs, the one and only Jack Montasell, I hope everyone present will remember this event with fond memories as I will always.

To the Victorian Gundog Club Inc. and my host Rachel, thank you for the privilege.

I wish everyone in the sport of Field Trials every success in the future.

Cheers until next time
Amand Golle
Amand Golle

Return to Field Trials