Bumper boy opinions/help

Post questions about training here to draw on the collective knowledge of the bulletin board members!

Moderator: Peter Butterfield

Bumper boy opinions/help

Postby Sandy Smith » Wed 27 Jun 2012 3:12 pm

Hi all
I am a relatively newbie to retrieving and as I mainly have to train alone, was looking at purchasing a automatic thrower/launcher. I have done some research and think that the bumper boy launcher is perhaps the way to go due to size.
One of the ones I am looking at it the derby double and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this model or with any of the bumper boy models?Any help/suggestions on this would be much appreciated.
http://www.gundogsonline.com/remote-bum ... ouble.html
Thanks
Sandy
Sandy Smith

Re: Bumper boy opinions/help

Postby Lara Preston » Thu 28 Jun 2012 10:24 am

Hi Sandy

I think the bumper boy is fantastic. I have 2, 2 shooters. I cant fault them. You can buy direct from bumper boy (I dont think gundogs online sell outside of USA - http://store.bumperboy.com/ )

Have fun

Lara
Lara Preston

Postby Trevor Stow » Thu 28 Jun 2012 6:43 pm

I have 2 x 2 shooters and they are great for training especially if you are on your own. I have owned them for 2 years but they are a bugger to break down. They use the cheapest servers which need replacing fairly frequently and the wiring harness is also dodgy. You can get new parts from them but it does cost as it comes from USA. The servers that I have seen in Australia rotate the wrong way and do not work although somebody may have found an Australian supplier that carries a suitable server. To change the servers and/or the wiring harness is also a pain in the a@#% as it means cutting the heat seal and then re-sealing the wires and also replacing the plastic ties.

When they are working they are great however, despite regular maintenance, I have had a lot of trouble. Perhaps others have had a better run athough I have spoken to 2 others who experience the same problems as me.
Trevor Stow

Postby Kerry Webster » Thu 28 Jun 2012 7:27 pm

I have two four shooter bumper boys, bought because I do train most of the time by myself. One unit I have had for 8 years, the other 18 months & it was 2nd hand. The older unit has had a couple of servos replaced, but I did it myself easy enough. (Servos are available at Model airplane/boat stores, or can be purchased online from China; much cheaper than the USA). I did have to send to BumperBoy in the US for a new receiver, but apart from some minor issues it has worked efficiently over those years. The newer unit works well and hasn't needed any replacements, but the top bar is bowed and progressively getting worse the more I shoot it and will need replacing as the bumpers all fire in different directions. Very expensive to get the bar from the USA, with shipping being over the top. Has been a godsend for me in training, but couldn't imagine using the units in a suburban area at all.
My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
Kerry Webster

Postby Carlo Iacobucci » Thu 28 Jun 2012 7:33 pm

Trevour,I also have 2 of them and after exrensive use have had no trouble so might be one of the lucky ones.
I also use 3 throwers made of high preasure plastic tubes and localy made electronics and the advantage is that you can launch dummies and pigeons .
Lion country supply will ship to aust.
Carlo Iacobucci

Postby Colleen Davis » Tue 14 Aug 2012 10:08 am

Just a note for anyone looking at buying Bumper Boys direct from Bumper Boy in the US. They charge huge postage fees. By using a freight forwarding company (I use Shipito) you can save over 75% on the postage and still have the bumper boys at your door in under a week.
Colleen Davis

Postby Trevor Stow » Fri 31 Aug 2012 8:51 pm

Kerry

Do you have an address for purchasing servos from China? I need another 4.

Cheers

Trevor
Trevor Stow

Postby Kerry Webster » Sun 02 Sep 2012 11:33 am

Trevor, You probably will not be able to get exactly the same model servo. Remove your old servo and take the measurements. Also on my BB's the servo arm goes Anti clockwise, and is a pulse action. You can go to HobbyKing (just google it), who are in China and go to Servos, then, standard. You will see lists of different servos, but if your servo is the same as mine then you will need one that states counter clockwise & pulse.

I spoke to a friend who buys regularly from this company about getting servos, and he considers that spending $15 or so on a couple of servos and seeing if they fit your/my purpose is worth it. Then a larger order can be made.

The other option is to just Google the model number of your servo and see what pops up.

Kerry
Kerry Webster

Postby Robert Tawton » Fri 07 Sep 2012 4:51 pm

Hi All,
Recently Gareth needed several new servos for his units. I disconnected one of the original servos and took it to my local Radio Controlled car/plane shop. They had no difficulty in identifying a suitable replacement which they held in stock at a cost of 16.00 give or take a few cents. Gareth has installed some of the replacements with no difficulty and they work perfectly and without the need to change any plugs.
Robert
Last edited by Robert Tawton on Tue 30 Oct 2012 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Tawton

Postby Trevor Stow » Sun 09 Sep 2012 3:11 pm

If only we had a hobby shop within 3 hours drive!
Trevor Stow

Postby Kerry Webster » Sun 09 Sep 2012 7:05 pm

Have you got a mate who is closer to a hobby shop Trevor, who could get one for you ? Then get it at a trial later.
Kerry Webster

Postby Trevor Stow » Mon 10 Sep 2012 5:10 pm

Kerry,

I have just returned from USA and I tried to buy some servos over there. There were no hobby shops in Seattle, Tullalip, Juneau, Anchorage or Fairbanks. We used to have one in Bairnsdale up to 2 years ago but it is now closed. The reason for all these closures is the internet. I tried ordering a servo form a hobby store in Queesland which carries a fair range of them. I sent them one that was on the Bumper Boy but they did not have that particular model in stock and said that it was a bottom end quality servo. That probably explains why they do not last. They sent me a better quality servo but it was a hairs width longer than the original and when I tried it, it would not work and I had to return it.

In answer to your question, I am going to ask Bob T if he can help me. I have not spoken to him yet as I assume he is in WA but I will be seeing him at the ACT trial in October and I am hoping that he can help.

The aforementioned are some of the issues with buying a Bumper Boy. As I said in my earlier thread, they are a great training product but they do break down and repairs can be expensive and difficult. From what you said in your earlier thread, you seem to have had your share of issues also.

Cheers

Trevor
Trevor Stow

Return to Training Q&A